where would this team be

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

manningesk
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Had we been using dexter like this earlier in the season. He almost brought us back by himself against south carolina? I think we might be looking at only 1 loss and dex would be front runner for the heisman. Happy and frustrated at the same time.
rktcityrebel
Water Boy
Water Boy

Could also have had him sitting on the bench nursing an injury. Who knows?
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rktcityrebel wrote:Could also have had him sitting on the bench nursing an injury. Who knows?
This is a ridiculous way of thinking IMO. Yeah, he could've gotten hurt, so could Snead, Bolden, etc.

We should've been riding McCluster. We didn't and we've lost 3 games. I think we definitely win the Carolina game, a better shot at Bama, and I don't know about Auburn(I think they just beat us).

And another thing, we ride McCluster, get decent play out of Snead, we're looking at Atlanta and Florida and a Heisman for McCluster. Oh, what if!
Some Random Dude
rktcityrebel
Water Boy
Water Boy

No, it isn't ridiculous. I really enjoy people that think their opinion is the only one that matters and anyone else that has one is ridiculous.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rktcityrebel wrote:No, it isn't ridiculous. I really enjoy people that think their opinion is the only one that matters and anyone else that has one is ridiculous.
I don't remember saying that my opinion is the only one that matters, b/c it obviously doesn't matter at all or I'd be on the coaching staff. Don't get ur panties in a wad b/c I disagree with you.

I simply said, yeah he could be hurt, but we could also be undefeated. We'll never know now, but ask McCluster if would've been up to it. If he says, 'You know, I'm glad it worked out this way b/c I could've gotten hurt', then I'll take back the 'ridiculous' in my previous statement.

Hell, we've played a pretty easy schedule. Rest him against Memphis, SE LA, UAB, and N. Ariz. and ride him in the SEC games.
Some Random Dude
dgmcdowe
2nd String
2nd String

By the SC game, how were we supposed to know that this wasn't the same Snead that had Heisman potential?

All of it is what if, but I can't blame the coaching staff for the SC loss. They used McCluster in the comeback attempt, but "running" is too conservative for a comeback, right?
I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance.

-William Faulkner
dgmcdowe
2nd String
2nd String

In retrospect, though, I'm VERY ANGRY at TCU for not picking us up. I wish ESPN would call them out on that scheduling gaffe, because they had a chance to add an SEC team to their schedule.
I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance.

-William Faulkner
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

"what if" and "what could have been" games are part of the fun of being a sports fan, but coaches have spent their entire life in the game, watched thousands of game films and spend every day with the players. It is very rare that a fan would outguess a coach on the best personnel to put in and how to use them. For now, I trust the coaches to make the right personnel decisions.
bayoulsucajun
Water Boy
Water Boy

same spot you are now. Mccluster is good, but you would have the same record. Your team just isn't that good.
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

bayoulsucajun wrote:same spot you are now. Mccluster is good, but you would have the same record. Your team just isn't that good.
and your record is just one game difference from ours. In fact, your record will be the same as ours after this weekend, so I guess that your team isn't that good either.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

bayoulsucajun wrote:same spot you are now. Mccluster is good, but you would have the same record. Your team just isn't that good.
Neither is yours. Lucky is a whole other issue 'though'. LSU is definitely the luckiest team.
Some Random Dude
ReservoirReb
3rd String
3rd String

manningesk wrote:Had we been using dexter like this earlier in the season. He almost brought us back by himself against south carolina? I think we might be looking at only 1 loss and dex would be front runner for the heisman. Happy and frustrated at the same time.
Or his college career could be over due to some sort of injury. Can't live by the "what if's". Gotta take what is in front of you and do the best you can. The team is 7-3 with a legitimate shot at 9-3 and a New Year's bowl.
"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an
intolerable one." - Thomas Paine
rebeloke
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

manningesk wrote:Had we been using dexter like this earlier in the season. He almost brought us back by himself against south carolina? I think we might be looking at only 1 loss and dex would be front runner for the heisman. Happy and frustrated at the same time.
I will tell you where, exactly the same spot. If we had only lost to Bama, we would be in the same spot, having to beat LSU to go to the Capital One Bowl. Had we only lost to Bama, we would have 1 loss and LSU 2. If we lost to LSU they would have 2 and us 2 with them having the advantage head to head, which would put them in the Capital One ahead of us. It would have been sexier but if we beat LSU this Saturday and win against State then we will be right in the same spot, going to the Capital One bowl.
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

dgmcdowe wrote:In retrospect, though, I'm VERY ANGRY at TCU for not picking us up. I wish ESPN would call them out on that scheduling gaffe, because they had a chance to add an SEC team to their schedule.
That game would have been scheduled the week where 3/4 of our starters and primary backups were suffering the worst part of the flu. Looking back, I am glad TCU decided not to playing us. Not saying we would have lost, but had we, and all other things stay equal, our record right now would be 5-4 (no NAU on the schedule for that 6th win), needing to beat LSU just to get to Shreveport.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeloke wrote:
I will tell you where, exactly the same spot. If we had only lost to Bama, we would be in the same spot, having to beat LSU to go to the Capital One Bowl. Had we only lost to Bama, we would have 1 loss and LSU 2. If we lost to LSU they would have 2 and us 2 with them having the advantage head to head, which would put them in the Capital One ahead of us. It would have been sexier but if we beat LSU this Saturday and win against State then we will be right in the same spot, going to the Capital One bowl.
I really don't consider 9-1 and 7-3 the same spot.

And, I'm curious, but where is all this 'he could be hurt' stuff coming from? I mean any player could be hurt this late in the season. Like Hardy. So are you saying that we sacrificed wins this season for fear that he might get hurt? We didn't give him the ball that much early on b/c he might get hurt? Cuz if that's the case, then Stanley should've gotten half the snaps this year b/c Snead could've gotten hurt playing all those snaps.

And some of you will say, 'Oh, so you don't care if he gets hurt', and to those folks I say, you're stupid. No I don't want him to get hurt. But this is SEC football and you play to win. You give your best players the ball and Dex is our best player. Florida rode Harvin last year and he's not much bigger than Dex.

You don't not give your best player the ball for fear he might get hurt. Otherwise, the games wouldn't be played so no one gets hurt.
Some Random Dude