Bowl Projections

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

BrettInAtlanta
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

I am trying to figure out what bowl we will play in this year. Per the SEC website, here are my projections:
The Southeastern Conference has agreements to send nine of its member institutions to postseason bowl games following the 2008 season. The winner of the SEC Championship Game will automatically participate in the Bowl Championship Series comprised of the Sugar, Rose, Orange and Fiesta Bowls.
Florida and Alabama.
The Capital One (2nd), will then make its pick following the BCS selections. The bowl must select the team with the next best overall record or a team within one win of the team with the next best overall record.
LSU
The Outback, Chick-fil-A and AT&T Cotton Bowls will work with the conference office to determine picks 3-5. The Cotton Bowl has the first preference of teams from the Western Division and the Outback Bowl has first preference of teams from the Eastern Division. The Cotton or Outback Bowl can select teams outside of its divisional preference, but must not select them before the opposite bowl selects from its divisional preference. The Chick-fil-A Bowl has the selection of preference following the Cotton and Outback Bowls.
Outback (East): Georgia
Cotton (West): Ole Miss
Chick-fil-a: Auburn, Tennessee, S. Carolina or Arkansas?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." ~ Benjamin Franklin
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

have the same record as LSU at the end of the regular season and we will have a win over LSU. It will be interesting to see who ends up where. I'd rather attend the cotton bowl but I'd rather the team go to the Capital One bowl because of the greater payout and exposure.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

JustBlues wrote:have the same record as LSU at the end of the regular season and we will have a win over LSU. It will be interesting to see who ends up where. I'd rather attend the cotton bowl but I'd rather the team go to the Capital One bowl because of the greater payout and exposure.
SEC bowl Payouts don't matter one hill of beans...the SEC splits the money anyway... the only difference is the extra month you get to practice. It is like another month to do spring practice and the national exposure and recognition.
Later,
Hagar
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

team that goes to a bowl gets a portion of the payout and the rest is split among the SEC, so it does matter. They do not split the entire payout, just a portion.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

JustBlues wrote:team that goes to a bowl gets a portion of the payout and the rest is split among the SEC, so it does matter. They do not split the entire payout, just a portion.
that extra portion is just for traveling expenses.
Later,
Hagar
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

JustBlues wrote:team that goes to a bowl gets a portion of the payout and the rest is split among the SEC, so it does matter. They do not split the entire payout, just a portion.
I think they split it 13 ways with the tam going to that particular bowl getting 2 slices of pie.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

rebelliousb wrote:
I think they split it 13 ways with the tam going to that particular bowl getting 2 slices of pie.
Actually I am very sure that they split the bowl money into 14 slices after expenses the SEC gets one slice and the remaining teams get theirs. I think that Florida's bowl last year actually netted them 47,000 dollars total. (of course that was after expenses) I don't know where I read that right now.
Later,
Hagar
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

not quite. first, the SEC team gets a portion of the payout, in the past around 10-12% of the total payout. Next, the team gets money to pay for their travel and stay. Finally, the remaining money is divided by 13 with each team in the conference getting one slice and the conference itself getting the 13th. That means that the team playing in the bowl gets a little over 20% of the total payout (more if they travel far) and each other entity gets around 6.5 to 7%. I'd rather get 20% of 5 million and 6.5% of 3 million than the other way around.
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

Well here's the facts: if we win out then we will be going to the capital one bowl, which is a great bowl and I don't think weve ever been. That would be huge for us because if we went and won then that would almost guarantee a top 12 finish in the polls and it will give us our best back to back bowl appearance in a long time. If we win one of our last 2 games then we will prob. go to the cotton or outback. The only reason i'm saying OR on the outback bowl is because the cotton bowl president made a comment on how they try to stay away from inviting the same team in back to back years so even if we do beat lsu theres a chance that they will go to dallas instead of us. Either way i'm happy if we go 9-3 or 8-4 because it wasn't 2 weeks ago that we were worried about going to a bowl at all.
rebeloni
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

I would like to see us go to the Cotton. I know that the Cotton officials have said normally they don't like to have a team for consecutive years, but this year is special. They are opening in a new joint. Ole Miss could be the team that closed the original Cotton Bowl and opened the new one.
BrettInAtlanta
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

jrebel87 wrote:Well here's the facts: if we win out then we will be going to the capital one bowl
Thanks for weighing in jrebel87 but are you sure that is a "fact"? With all due respect, what do you base that statement on? LSU is #8 in the BCS rankings right now and I do not see how we leap frog them. Please explain.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." ~ Benjamin Franklin
ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

BrettInAtlanta wrote:
jrebel87 wrote:Well here's the facts: if we win out then we will be going to the capital one bowl
Thanks for weighing in jrebel87 but are you sure that is a "fact"? With all due respect, what do you base that statement on? LSU is #8 in the BCS rankings right now and I do not see how we leap frog them. Please explain.
If we win out- we will be the SEC's #3 team and be headed to that bowl slot. National rankings will not matter. We will have a win over LSWho and be sitting at 5-3 in league play with a comfortable second place finish in the West. Again, this is IF we win out.

I like cap one and hope we pull it off....
cajunrebel

BrettInAtlanta wrote:LSU is #8 in the BCS rankings right now and I do not see how we leap frog them. Please explain.
If we beat them, they will no longer be ranked #8 and probably fall into the 20's with their 3 losses.
"I'm a solid verbal."

- Prospect name here
done

I think it is pretty clear that if we win out we will be in Capitol One against Penn State or Iowa (depending on if Slow 10 gets a BCS at large bid)..

If we lose to LSU and beat State I think it will be Cotton because Outback gets the next pick from the East and I think they would prefer an East team, because geographic proximity does matter, especially in this economy. And since the Cotton Bowl is at a new place and we traveled so well and because of Dexter and the fact that they get the next pick from the West...I think the Cotton would love us. I think the bigger problem for the Cotton is the Big 12 team, because if nebraska loses to Texas in the championship game then Nebraska would be the logical choice for Cotton, but they would have already played (and lost) their previous game at Jerry World because that is also where the Big 12 championship is this year. Even though Nebraska fans travel very well, that may put Oklahima State (or maybe even Oklahoma if they beat Okl State) in Dallas and Nebraska in the Holiday Bowl.

If we lose both remaining games, quite frankly I don't care where we go because I may finally take up drinking after 50 years of total sobriety 8O
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

ThunderReb wrote:
BrettInAtlanta wrote:
If we win out- we will be the SEC's #3 team and be headed to that bowl slot. National rankings will not matter. We will have a win over LSWho and be sitting at 5-3 in league play with a comfortable second place finish in the West. Again, this is IF we win out.

I like cap one and hope we pull it off....
A common misconception is that the bowls are bound by the order of finish in the SEC. The only thing that binds the Cap1 is its agreement with the SEC to take the "team with the next best overall record or a team within one win of the team with the next best overall record". Nothing in that clause says anything about conference standings or record. Another thing, as explained by Stewart Mandel of SI, is that the "SEC 3" that is put by the Cap1 when describing the match-up (like SEC 3 v. Big 10 2) only refers to the pecking order the bowl picks (3rd pick) not SEC order of finish.

Should we win out and LSU beat AR, we are both 9-3/5-3; Cap1 could take LSU over us if they chose to. Even if we win out and AR beat LSU, Cap1 could still take LSU over us per the agreement (they would be within 1 win of our best overall record). Not saying they would, just saying they could.

Of course, this discussion is moot. We have two more games, and with the Jekyll and Hyde performances of this OM team, I am personally going to wait until all the eggs hatch.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'