An extraordinarily Early Look Ahead

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

hottytoddyrebel
Scout Team
Scout Team

I know, there are still more games to be played in the 09 season, and yes I know the Rebels still have another game to play. However it's always interesting to look ahead. I'll take some time to share a projected depth chart for the 2010 season. This depth chart reflects only the players we have here on campus. Yes, I know we'll count on freshman and junior college players to come in and make an immediate impact next year, but this is a good way of judging where we are at today.

Offense

QB
Jevan Snead
Nathan Stanley
Raymond Cotton
Clayton Moore

RB
Brandon Bolden
Rodney Scott
Tim Simon
Devin Thomas
Enrique Davis

FB
E.J. Epperson
Derrick Davis
Dan Hoffman

TE
Ferbia Allen
Reggie Hicks
Z Mason

X WR
Pat Patterson
Terrell Grant
Melvin Harris

Y WR
Markeith Summers
Andrew Harris
Ja-Mes Logan

H WR
Lionel Breaux
Jesse Grandy

OLine
This position is a little harder to predict because of the lack of depth, I'll just throw out names we have available.
Bradley Sowell
A.J. Hawkins
Josh Tatum
Michael Brown
Logan Clair
Bobbie Massie
Emmanuel McCray
Zack Brent
Chris Gill
Alex Washington

ATH
Korvic Neat

Defense

End
Kentrell Lockett
Gerald Rivers

Nose
Jerrell Powe
Ted Laurent
Justin Smith

Tackle
Lawon Scott
Corey Gains

End
Jason Jones

Will
Joel Kight
Alex Williams
Brandon Sanders

Mike
Jonathan Cornell
D.T. Shackleford
H.R. Greer
Lakenwic Haynes

Sam
Allen Walker
Rudy Wilson

Field Corner
Charles Sawyer
Marcus Temple

Boundary Corner
Jeremy McGee
Ryan Campbell

Strong Safety
Johnny Brown
Derrick Herman
Dele Junaid

Free Safety
Fon Ingram
Frank Crawford
Jared Mitchell

Nickel
Marcus Temple
Julian Whitehead

Dime
Ryan Campbell
Julian Whitehead

2010 Schedule
Sat, Sep 04 Jacksonville State Oxford, Miss.
Sat, Sep 11 Tulane at New Orleans, La.
Sat, Sep 18 Vanderbilt * Oxford, Miss.
Sat, Sep 25 Fresno State Oxford, Miss.
Sat, Oct 02 Kentucky * Oxford, Miss.
Sat, Oct 16 Alabama * at Tuscaloosa, Ala.
Sat, Oct 23 Arkansas * at Fayetteville, Ark.
Sat, Oct 30 Auburn * Oxford, Miss.
Sat, Nov 06 Louisiana-Lafayette Oxford, Miss.
Sat, Nov 13 Tennessee * at Knoxville, Tenn.
Sat, Nov 20 LSU * at Baton Rouge, La.
Sat, Nov 27 Mississippi State * Oxford, Miss.

Let's go ahead and state the obvious, we have 4 extremely tough SEC road games. However, outside of those 4 road games the other 8 are completely winnable(not to say the 4 SEC road games aren't).

Here's to a great off season. Go Rebs
don't question my knowledge
BigTrev34
All SEC
All SEC

A few things.

- Simon will be the starter next year. I have a weird feeling about it and dont know why but it will happen

- Grandy will be on the field a lot. He will keep being the screen WR and the motion man and will see more touches with Dex gone. I wouldnt be surprised if he beat out Breaux or Patterson.

- OLine is a crapshoot and the bookends are probably set with Massie and Sowell, but everything else is a ? Tank washington and Hawkins will prolly be in the mix and I really think Rishaw needs to get his *beep* together

- Neat is the ultimate wildcard here. He could try and be used as a Dex type when it comes to running the ball (Grandy will take the WR plays Dex had designed for him.)

- At end, its all based on who comes in. Dorsey will have a shot along with anyone else that comes in. Alex Williams will be the guy that will step up. Guy is ultra athletic

- I cant see Sheckleford sitting behind Walker. Earlier in the year I was tired of seeing Brumfield and Cornell bc they just didnt seem good enough. My view on Cornell has seriously changed. He will be the leader of the D and will be a star next year. Shackelford will take Walkers spot.

- Sawyer over Temple? You never know bc the coaches loved Campbell and Sawyer but I like Temple when hes in the game and was always comfortbale with him in the game this year at nickelback

- Tig will get a serious look at safety where lewis leaves the void, as well as damien jackson. Thats the biggest ? mark of all
done

I still think that next year at least early on, Grandy will be used in Dex's spot and Breaux and Summers and Patterson etal will be the conventional WR's...
hottytoddyrebel
Scout Team
Scout Team

BigTrev34 wrote:A few things.

- Simon will be the starter next year. I have a weird feeling about it and dont know why but it will happen

- Grandy will be on the field a lot. He will keep being the screen WR and the motion man and will see more touches with Dex gone. I wouldnt be surprised if he beat out Breaux or Patterson.

- OLine is a crapshoot and the bookends are probably set with Massie and Sowell, but everything else is a ? Tank washington and Hawkins will prolly be in the mix and I really think Rishaw needs to get his *beep* together

- Neat is the ultimate wildcard here. He could try and be used as a Dex type when it comes to running the ball (Grandy will take the WR plays Dex had designed for him.)

- At end, its all based on who comes in. Dorsey will have a shot along with anyone else that comes in. Alex Williams will be the guy that will step up. Guy is ultra athletic

- I cant see Sheckleford sitting behind Walker. Earlier in the year I was tired of seeing Brumfield and Cornell bc they just didnt seem good enough. My view on Cornell has seriously changed. He will be the leader of the D and will be a star next year. Shackelford will take Walkers spot.

- Sawyer over Temple? You never know bc the coaches loved Campbell and Sawyer but I like Temple when hes in the game and was always comfortbale with him in the game this year at nickelback

- Tig will get a serious look at safety where lewis leaves the void, as well as damien jackson. Thats the biggest ? mark of all
Alex Williams is now playing LB, he will compete for playing time at the Will Linebacker spot.

Charles Sawyer maybe the best corner we've ever had here, he's head and shoulders the most athletic we have ever had. Temple is a good nickel corner like you have stated, however he is just that and will remain in that capacity. Campbell has a real opportunity to challenge McGee for playing time next fall. Campbell is a better athlete than McGee however McGee has the experience advantage.

Your observation of Korvic running the ball and Jesse catching the ball in the capacity that dexter use to is dead on. Neat has faster straight-line speed than dexter.

You're right D.T. won't sit behind Walker.... and it's because D.T. plays Mike not Sam linebacker.... It's going to be interesting to see how coach handles both cornell and DT at middle linebacker, but DT doesn't have the speed to play on the outside. Things can change and he could get faster in the off season but why not move him to Will where Kight will probably be the starter. This is where you're observation of Alex Williams comes into play, it's crucial that he develop quickly because he will be counted on for depth next year. And you're right he is extremely athletic
wildthang80
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Randall Mackey, if he signs, could be a prospect for the wild rebel. This guy is very fast and can throw. I can't remember if he is a freshman or sophmore. I don't see the coaches wasting a scholarship on him if they don't think he can come right in and compete (If he is a sophmore).

Where do you guys think the coaches want him to play?
badmotorfinger
All American
All American

So have Sawyer and Campbell played this year or will they be redshirted? I haven't seen their names mentioned. I totally agree with their athletic ability though, after seeing them in practice.... man coverage namely.

Anyway, the future looks good for the DBs, especially with the ones we have on board with this class. Won't be lacking with speedy guys in those positions either. I can't help but think back to the cutcliff years...it seemed like there was no effort to get quality defensive players.
Rule #1.......Don't panik
GeorgiaRebel
Water Boy
Water Boy

Whatever became of Oxford's Montez Phillips?
Simon will be a factor on Special teams & in the
backfield if he can recover 100% from the leg injury.
We need a Division I quality Tight End badly!
Ferbia Allen is Arkansas State level at best and apparently
none of the others have lived up to potential.
olemissreb_30
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

what bout Z. Mason?? aint he a TE
Head Coach
Head Coach

Whoa now, you missed a huge recruit at qb thats coming in next year and I promise he's so good he will compete with snead and def. for the 2nd string spot! This qb's nmae is Randell Mackey, we recruited him and he signed last year but didn't have the grades so he gray shirted and went to east ms jc. He has done extrodinary there and is just as dangerous with his legs as he is with his arm. He will be a play maker just look up highlights on him.
hottytoddyrebel
Scout Team
Scout Team

jrebel87 wrote:Whoa now, you missed a huge recruit at qb thats coming in next year and I promise he's so good he will compete with snead and def. for the 2nd string spot! This qb's nmae is Randell Mackey, we recruited him and he signed last year but didn't have the grades so he gray shirted and went to east ms jc. He has done extrodinary there and is just as dangerous with his legs as he is with his arm. He will be a play maker just look up highlights on him.
....We know who Mackey is.
Thanks
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

jrebel87 wrote:Whoa now, you missed a huge recruit at qb thats coming in next year and I promise he's so good he will compete with snead and def. for the 2nd string spot! This qb's nmae is Randell Mackey, we recruited him and he signed last year but didn't have the grades so he gray shirted and went to east ms jc. He has done extrodinary there and is just as dangerous with his legs as he is with his arm. He will be a play maker just look up highlights on him.
no offense, but there was another QB who did amazing things in JUCO, had some great highlight film, and ended up being beat out by a walk-on with limited tools. The name Schaeffer ring a bell. Hence, I will wait until Mackey gets on campus, goes through practice, and earns some PT instead of just pronouncing him the next big thing at QB.

BTW: grayshirts don't go to JUCO; Grayshirts actually qualify, but voluntarily delay full-time enrollment a semester.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Devin Thomas may transfer.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
hottytoddyrebel
Scout Team
Scout Team

rebeljim wrote:Devin Thomas may transfer.
uhhhhhhhh nnnnooooooooo
He chose to red shirt this year so he could improve and make an impact next year.
hottytoddyrebel
Scout Team
Scout Team

nm
Last edited by hottytoddyrebel on Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

hottytoddyrebel wrote:Here is a little update:
Terrell Grant has recently been moved to FS. He's a big guy at 6'3 and has a thick frame. Looks like he could be a head hunter back there. Only time will tell. This may not even be a permanent move depending on which safeties show up from this class.

Z Mason may not even see the field..... He's been more or less a bust.

In my personal opinion Ferbia Allen has potential to be a good TE, especially catching the ball.
Moving a WR to FS worked out pretty well for us the last time we did it (see Kendrick Lewis), so hopefully, if the move sticks, lightening will strike twice.

As for Z, I was always a bit wary of him b/c of the level of competition he faced in HS and figured it would take a few seasons before he really settled in, if ever. My only hope is since we aren't going hard after any TEs this recruiting cycle that the staff still has faith in him to adapt to the physical nature of SEC ball.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'