http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZNCPOMuXhA

Thank you, Dexter!
Thank you, Seniors!
We miss you all already.
:D
ReservoirReb
3rd String
3rd String

Did you notice Brandon Bolden was with Dex step for step? He may not be able to cut as quickly as Dex but you can't question his speed.
"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an
intolerable one." - Thomas Paine
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

ReservoirReb wrote:Did you notice Brandon Bolden was with Dex step for step? He may not be able to cut as quickly as Dex but you can't question his speed.
And he had to catch up to him
wpdrebel
Scout Team
Scout Team

i read somewhere, could have been here, that bb beat dmc in the 40.
For evil to succeed, let good men do nothing.
done

Dex is a once in a generation type athlete...but if we distribute the ball to our talented RB's returning (Bolden, Scott, Davis, etc.) use Grandy in the WildRebel and have a QB that actually looks for Summers, Breaux, Patterson, etc. we will probably actually be a better TEAM even though we lose an unbelievable player in Dex..

Remember even Dex couldn't save us against Auburn, Bama and State when we had nothing else to offer on offense...

In short we may not have as many 50+ yard runs...but maybe we will have even more 50+ yard DRIVES for TD's. Replacing Dex is not the key to becoming an even better team. Replacing Snead is the key (even if he is still here).
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rebchuck18 wrote:Dex is a once in a generation type athlete...but if we distribute the ball to our talented RB's returning (Bolden, Scott, Davis, etc.) use Grandy in the WildRebel and have a QB that actually looks for Summers, Breaux, Patterson, etc. we will probably actually be a better TEAM even though we lose an unbelievable player in Dex..

Remember even Dex couldn't save us against Auburn, Bama and State when we had nothing else to offer on offense...

In short we may not have as many 50+ yard runs...but maybe we will have even more 50+ yard DRIVES for TD's. Replacing Dex is not the key to becoming an even better team. Replacing Snead is the key (even if he is still here).
I agree
Some Random Dude
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rebchuck18 wrote:Dex is a once in a generation type athlete...but if we distribute the ball to our talented RB's returning (Bolden, Scott, Davis, etc.) use Grandy in the WildRebel and have a QB that actually looks for Summers, Breaux, Patterson, etc. we will probably actually be a better TEAM even though we lose an unbelievable player in Dex..

I remember our offering the ball to AU several times...unfortunately they accepted our offerings :pain:
done

bleuwolfe wrote:
I remember our offering the ball to AU several times...unfortunately they accepted our offerings :pain:
Yes we did and our defense gave up some points.

But in that game and in the Cotton Bowl, even though Dexter had more than 180 yards rushing in each game, our offense scored only 17 points in one game and 14 in the other (twenty points less than our average points in our victories). A RB can make spectacular plays and save your butt from time to time, but it takes a QB to make your offense productive on a consistent basis in today's football world.

We will have very good running backs and receivers coming back to support that QB, but unless we get the right QB we will not improve. Our QB doesn't have to win the games for us, but he has to lead the team, gain their confidence, and NOT kill us by throwing 17 ints, pick sixes, and missing wide open receivers on screen passes(McElroy is not great but he leads Bama). It may be right to say that we did not take enough advantage of Dex's athleticism this year, but I will contend that we also didn't take advantage of the abilities of ALL of our WR's and RB's because our QB failed to consistently get them ALL the ball and let them all use their abilities. Hell even when Hodge caught the ball most of the time he had to go to the ground to catch it, losing no telling how many yards after catch.

The good news is that I think the coaching staff has finally had enough and is willing to make a change. If he gives Cotton or yes Stanley a chance (beyond a few possessions) then we might have the chance to continue our progress. If Jevan is truly the best we have then I think we are probably looking at a seven win season next year and hopefully recruiting a good QB.

If you ask me it is a miracle of good coaching and good play by every other member of the team (not just Dex) that we won 9 games with our QB play this season.
ReservoirReb
3rd String
3rd String

Received a tweet from David Brandt, Ole Miss beat writer for the CL. According to Coach Nutt Jevan Snead will take the first snap in spring practice, but "he'll have to be much better than he was this year."
"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an
intolerable one." - Thomas Paine
wpdrebel
Scout Team
Scout Team

ReservoirReb wrote:Received a tweet from David Brandt, Ole Miss beat writer for the CL. According to Coach Nutt Jevan Snead will take the first snap in spring practice, but "he'll have to be much better than he was this year."
Honestly could he be much worse.
For evil to succeed, let good men do nothing.
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

wpdrebel wrote:
ReservoirReb wrote:Received a tweet from David Brandt, Ole Miss beat writer for the CL. According to Coach Nutt Jevan Snead will take the first snap in spring practice, but "he'll have to be much better than he was this year."
Honestly could he be much worse.
A. Spurlock, Flatt, Lane
ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Nutt's PR also said that the QB's in the spring will NOT wear "no-contact" jerseys.....he wants them hit and see who handles the pressure in a game situation. This in itself spells QB competition and improved QB play.
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

ThunderReb wrote:
Nutt's PR also said that the QB's in the spring will NOT wear "no-contact" jerseys.....he wants them hit and see who handles the pressure in a game situation. This in itself spells QB competition and improved QB play.
like that part, just hope our #1 - whoever it turns out to be - doesnt get eaten by a shark in practice :)
RebMom
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Rebchuck18 wrote:
bleuwolfe wrote:
Yes we did and our defense gave up some points.

But in that game and in the Cotton Bowl, even though Dexter had more than 180 yards rushing in each game, our offense scored only 17 points in one game and 14 in the other (twenty points less than our average points in our victories). A RB can make spectacular plays and save your butt from time to time, but it takes a QB to make your offense productive on a consistent basis in today's football world.

We will have very good running backs and receivers coming back to support that QB, but unless we get the right QB we will not improve. Our QB doesn't have to win the games for us, but he has to lead the team, gain their confidence, and NOT kill us by throwing 17 ints, pick sixes, and missing wide open receivers on screen passes(McElroy is not great but he leads Bama). It may be right to say that we did not take enough advantage of Dex's athleticism this year, but I will contend that we also didn't take advantage of the abilities of ALL of our WR's and RB's because our QB failed to consistently get them ALL the ball and let them all use their abilities. Hell even when Hodge caught the ball most of the time he had to go to the ground to catch it, losing no telling how many yards after catch.

The good news is that I think the coaching staff has finally had enough and is willing to make a change. If he gives Cotton or yes Stanley a chance (beyond a few possessions) then we might have the chance to continue our progress. If Jevan is truly the best we have then I think we are probably looking at a seven win season next year and hopefully recruiting a good QB.

If you ask me it is a miracle of good coaching and good play by every other member of the team (not just Dex) that we won 9 games with our QB play this season.

...and hubby & I agree with what you said 100%. It was not right the situation our coaches put Nathan Stanley in during CB game...and the only way to find out if a QB can take the pressure of those SEC tough games...is to let them practice in real game situations...no green jerseys! Then, you'll know if you have a head case on your hands before too deep into the season. IMHO for whatever it's worth!
I'm a Marilyn...but it's not Monroe!
FORWARD REBELS --mj--
done

I actually think that Stanley made two good down field throws and on both of them the Ok State defender knocked our receivers off of their route. And I thought he looked poised in the pocket and did not have "happy feet". On the interception he just never saw the guy and threw it right to him. That was a ball he should have just eaten or thrown to Jerry Jones in the luxury boxes because the receiver had two other guys on him even if he had gotten it past the first guy.

Not saying Stanley is the guy..just saying that he didn't look any worse than our starter who now has 26 SEC starts under his belt and is actually getting worse instead of better. If you can believe what you hear (big if) Cotton is probably the guy...but I actually don't think that even Spurlock, Flatt, Lane etc. could have played much worse than Snead did in our four losses.