recruiting class

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

jbbyrd
Water Boy
Water Boy

why are we not signing any big name players this year we do not have any bobbie massie's this year or a raymond cotton. we do have randall mackey but we have to get some big time players in come on guys...hotty toddy!!!!
HOTTY TODDY!!
done

Remember a lightly regarded Linebacker out of high school that was ranked as the 51st LB that year (at best) and didn't even get an offer from his home state's flagship university (UT Knoxville)...in case you have forgotten his name is Patrick Willis...

Also remember a QB from Louisiana who was among the top 5 rated QB's in the country and wound up being an average Tight End on a team quarterbacked by Romaro Miller (Robert Lane)..

Don't believe the hype and the number of stars attached to 17 year old kids...stargazers are usually let down..

Trust this coaching staff...
jbbyrd
Water Boy
Water Boy

i dont want stars i want numbers last year at this time we had 25 commitments we have 16.. i want numbers period. great athletes would be a big bonus though. there are diamonds in the rough but remember also that top 25 recruiting classes help alot in preseason polls and i would love to be ranked in the top 25 and maybe stay high so we can do something like i dont know go to a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. or maybe just a sec championship.
HOTTY TODDY!!
Heath
All American
All American

jbbyrd wrote:i dont want stars i want numbers last year at this time we had 25 commitments we have 16.. i want numbers period. great athletes would be a big bonus though. there are diamonds in the rough but remember also that top 25 recruiting classes help alot in preseason polls and i would love to be ranked in the top 25 and maybe stay high so we can do something like i dont know go to a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. or maybe just a sec championship.
I dont think there is room after the large class last year. SO, don't expect many signees. Hopefully, the ones we get will turn out to be quality players AND help fill a need. If my memory serves me correctly, we can only have 85 on scholly. And, if I remember correctly, there are a few boys who "grey shirted" this past year, so they will be on scholarship this upcoming year.

So, as mentioned above, TRUST the staff.
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

With the 3 greyshirts from last year's class, as well as Ritter going on scholarship, we only had 18 scholarships to offer for this class anyway due to the APR issue, hence the selectivity of the staff this go around. That said, look for us to sign the max of 28 since it is likely that 2-3 will be sign/place guys and 2-3 will be taking greyshirts or doing what Ritter did this season.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
Rebel PT2
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

We have limited Scholarships this year. Juco DE was big pick up from Gulf Coast, and we are in the mix for several high profile kids. Nutt has been known to pull some late commits. We have to be patient. Nutt isnt Orgeron and doesnt go after several risky academic targets. Also, NCAA revamped rules last yr regarding the number of kids your could oversign. No doubt having a top 20 recruiting class is huge, but recruiting for need rather than stars is important. We need some big ugly's this year.......I think we have 30+ kids coming on campus the next 2 weekends. Keep the faith and keep an eye on the boards for news. It should be fun.....
"I'm not an athlete. I'm a professional baseball player."
-John Kruk
ReservoirReb
3rd String
3rd String

jbbyrd wrote:i dont want stars i want numbers last year at this time we had 25 commitments we have 16.. i want numbers period. great athletes would be a big bonus though. there are diamonds in the rough but remember also that top 25 recruiting classes help alot in preseason polls and i would love to be ranked in the top 25 and maybe stay high so we can do something like i dont know go to a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. or maybe just a sec championship.
Relax. Everything will be fine. We do not have the slots available this year. As has been previously stated we have APR issues this year. Only have 22 scholies to give and several of those are going to grayshirts and Ritter. Due to the "Houston Nutt Rule" only 28 total can be signed. The staff is recruiting to need and that need is currently big bodies in the trenches.

Personally I think this class is looking pretty decent. As for big names, Dorsey and Mackey are pretty big names in my opinion.
"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an
intolerable one." - Thomas Paine
BigTrev34
All SEC
All SEC

This class will be just as good as last years. I expect to get Grimes, Sanders, Thompson, Menzie and maybe 2 others (Robinson, Coleman Delvin Jones or Ralph Williams).
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

BigTrev34 wrote:This class will be just as good as last years. I expect to get Grimes, Sanders, Thompson, Menzie and maybe 2 others (Robinson, Coleman Delvin Jones or Ralph Williams).
^^^^^What he said.^^^^^
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

"Also remember a QB from Louisiana who was among the top 5 rated QB's in the country......"

Leave John Fourcade out of it.
done

rebelliousb wrote:"Also remember a QB from Louisiana who was among the top 5 rated QB's in the country......"

Yea, was going there, but some of these younguns weren't even around then...thought I would limit my history of recruiting to the last three coaches...don't get me started on Fourcade, who I had to suffer through during my years at Ole Miss...I think Texas A&M DB's are still running his int's back for touchdowns!
felicianareb
2nd String
2nd String

Rebchuck18 wrote:
rebelliousb wrote:"Also remember a QB from Louisiana who was among the top 5 rated QB's in the country......"

Yea, was going there, but some of these younguns weren't even around then...thought I would limit my history of recruiting to the last three coaches...don't get me started on Fourcade, who I had to suffer through during my years at Ole Miss...I think Texas A&M DB's are still running his int's back for touchdowns!
Sorry Chuck. But I'm about to get you started. This young 'un was there. Fourcade could certainly throw plain old run of the mill interceptions with the best of them. He had Snead beat, and then some, for trying to force passes into double and triple coverage. But... he had an added extraordinary and astonishing talent for throwing interceptions when the game was teetering in the balance, e.g. the LSU game in 1979, threw a short pass for a pick in the LSU end zone with 14 seconds left... Of all the QB's who came and went in the post-Vaught era, Fourcade is also the only QB that Vaught ever openly criticized...
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

felicianareb wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:

Sorry Chuck. But I'm about to get you started. This young 'un was there. Fourcade could certainly throw plain old run of the mill interceptions with the best of them. He had Snead beat, and then some, for trying to force passes into double and triple coverage. But... he had an added extraordinary and astonishing talent for throwing interceptions when the game was teetering in the balance, e.g. the LSU game in 1979, threw a short pass for a pick in the LSU end zone with 14 seconds left... Of all the QB's who came and went in the post-Vaught era, Fourcade is also the only QB that Vaught ever openly criticized...

he had talent, though.
And at first he was exciting. He came with a lot of hype and was a legend when he arrived because he slapped all of LA in the face by wearing his Ole Miss helmet to play in the LOUISIANA high school all star game. d***. now I know why Chuck has issues with playing Jevan when he's not in the groove. I'm with you, now.
felicianareb
2nd String
2nd String

No question Fourcade had talent. He just wasn't disciplined enough to truly excell. I'll also give him props for toughness. I'll never forget the pummelling he took in a 49-15 loss to a d*** good Tulane team in '79. Although Tulane needed no extra motivation, they pummelled their fellow New Orleanian all day long. I lost track of the numbner of hits and sacks they put on Fourcade. With each hit he got up slower and slower to the point that you thought he would never rise again. When he limped off the field at the end of each series you'd swear that he wouldn't make it back for the next one. But he did. It was brutal...
done

rebelliousb wrote:

he had talent, though.
And at first he was exciting. He came with a lot of hype and was a legend when he arrived because he slapped all of LA in the face by wearing his Ole Miss helmet to play in the LOUISIANA high school all star game. d***. now I know why Chuck has issues with playing Jevan when he's not in the groove. I'm with you, now.

Yea, if my memory serves me right Vaught made reference to using a shotgun on Fourcade. I would start every year saying "Okay I will pull for him this year and he is going to be fine...that pledge usually lasted about one half of a quarter. Just the mention of Fourcade would send my blood pressure soaring.

My sister's first husband was one of Fourcade's offensive linemen so my sister was friends with him. One day on a break I walked into my house in Jackson and John and his brother Keith were sitting in my den. Under my breath I said "you have got to be kidding me". I was polite but I found an excuse to leave the house immediately. He drove me crazy.

Now I will say this... by the time he was with the Saints I felt he had paid a high enough price for his narcissism and I actually pulled for him. As far as Snead goes, I did not feel NEAR the frustration watching Snead as I did Fourcade...I actually kind of felt sorry for Snead because he at least seems to be a good kid and I don't think he thinks he is the greatest thing since sliced bread...as a matter of fact his shortcomings were the exact opposite of Fourcade. Fourcade had so much confidence in his abilities that he threw bullets right to defenders...Snead appeared to have such LITTLE confidence in his abilities that that he skipped the ball on the ground, airmailed his passes or threw little lollipops that were picked off.

John Fourcade is the reason I became such a huge fan of Kelly Powell!