I find Admiral Ackbar offensive

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

colreb74
3rd String
3rd String

Let's face it, he's definatly not Caucasian... He looks like an African American Alien. I mean would Aunt Jemimah be less offensive?

On a serious note, we'll be the laughing stock of the SEC if we actually vote Ackbar as our new mascot... and our basketball team isn't helping that either!
hottytoddyrebel
Scout Team
Scout Team

Story is on TMZ.COM they actually called last week but wanted to give the Tiger Woods situation time to settle down before posting it. http://www.tmz.com/category/tmzsports/
don't question my knowledge
Chucky_38
All American
All American

Maybe its because I'm 29 and still a kid, or maybe its because I LOVE Star Wars, but I am totally digging Ackbar as our mascot. That would put something on the field that many people in our state, the southeast, the U.S. and even the world would connect too. Star Wars has millions of fans. I love the idea. A love of movies and a love of Ole Miss rolled into one.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
hottytoddyrebel
Scout Team
Scout Team

However, Ackbar was not initially meant to be run for mascot. He was just meant to give a face to the situation and promote the "YES" vote which was attained today.
don't question my knowledge
done

You are all joking right? I have assumed that the whole Akbar thing was in fact a joke mocking this whole ridiculous process...if not, we might as well just shut the whole thing down and join Chucky38's apathy campaign and expect failure....
------------------

Rebchuck18 wrote:You are all joking right? I have assumed that the whole Akbar thing was in fact a joke mocking this whole ridiculous process...if not, we might as well just shut the whole thing down and join Chucky38's apathy campaign and expect failure....
I really hope it is as well, but let's be realistic here: can you imagine how much Ole Miss would have to pay George Lucas in royalties for the right to use this critter as a mascot??? 8O
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

Rebchuck18 wrote:You are all joking right? I have assumed that the whole Akbar thing was in fact a joke mocking this whole ridiculous process...if not, we might as well just shut the whole thing down and join Chucky38's apathy campaign and expect failure....
I sure hope that's a joke. I will NEVER buy anything with that image on it.
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

Its a JOKE.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
done

john_avery_fast wrote:Its a JOKE.
Don't think the whole world is going to view it as a joke...except for making us look like a joke....well played Administration! 8O

http://www.tmz.com/category/tmzsports

page down on link to see story
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

Rebchuck18 wrote:
Don't think the whole world is going to view it as a joke...except for making us look like a joke....well played Administration! 8O

I will never claim that our administration is perfect or has handled the recent PR issues well, but how can you blame them from some yokels starting a facebook group calling for Ackbar or TMZ picking up the story? Before you respond with the whole "they should have never made it an issue", that is played out. It is what it is. If you actually believe the whole world outside of Mississippi and the OM fanbase really cares what cartoonish character we have roaming our sporting events, you overestimate how important OM is to all but those who love it.
done

john_avery_fast wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:

I will never claim that our administration is perfect or has handled the recent PR issues well, but how can you blame them from some yokels starting a facebook group calling for Ackbar or TMZ picking up the story? Before you respond with the whole "they should have never made it an issue", that is played out. It is what it is. If you actually believe the whole world outside of Mississippi and the OM fanbase really cares what cartoonish character we have roaming our sporting events, you overestimate how important OM is to all but those who love it.

Not blaming them for picking this character, but for spotlighting the whole issue again and putting it in the student's hands...and if you don't think other folks at say LSU, MSU, or Arknasas, etc. are paying attention to this, with due respect I think you may be wrong...if you don't believe me just google "Akbar Ole Miss"....me thinks this is going to make us a laughing stock....
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

Rebchuck18 wrote:
john_avery_fast wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:

Not blaming them for picking this character, but for spotlighting the whole issue again and putting it in the student's hands...and if you don't think other folks at say LSU, MSU, or Arknasas, etc. are paying attention to this, with due respect I think you may be wrong...if you don't believe me just google "Akbar Ole Miss"....me thinks this is going to make us a laughing stock....
I never said no one was paying attention. There is no doubt in my mind that this (the Ackbar thing specifically and the mascot issue in general) is causing members of our rivals' fanbases to chuckle. In the end, you are kidding yourself if you think they actually give a real hoot about what we pick, if anything. And I know about the few Ackbar/Ole Miss pages out there on the web. Like I said, who cares if some yokels go out and start a blog or fb page regarding it? Its not the University doing it, so until it is, I wouldn't worry too hard.
wpdrebel
Scout Team
Scout Team

page down on link to see story[/quote]

I will never claim that our administration is perfect or has handled the recent PR issues well, but how can you blame them from some yokels starting a facebook group calling for Ackbar or TMZ picking up the story? Before you respond with the whole "they should have never made it an issue", that is played out. It is what it is. If you actually believe the whole world outside of Mississippi and the OM fanbase really cares what cartoonish character we have roaming our sporting events, you overestimate how important OM is to all but those who love it.[/quote]

Not blaming them for picking this character, but for spotlighting the whole issue again and putting it in the student's hands...and if you don't think other folks at say LSU, MSU, or Arknasas, etc. are paying attention to this, with due respect I think you may be wrong...if you don't believe me just google "Akbar Ole Miss"....me thinks this is going to make us a laughing stock....[/quote]

We have already become a laughing stock. I cant tell you how sick i am of hearing "you need to convert to alabama; atleast we have a mascot." Most around here (bama fans) say it is stupid to ban the Col. And how stupid our administration is for doing it.
For evil to succeed, let good men do nothing.
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

We would be Fish Eyed Fools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu4DeN8u9cM
done

I went to pick up my kids at Austin High this afternoon and the afternoon radio sports talk show came on the air with the host laughing his ass off and saying "Wait until you hear what Ole Miss is doing".....they teased for two segments to build it up and the said "not only is Ole Miss banning songs to improve their image, but they are changing their mascot from a slave owner and they are going TOTAL NERD...they went on to say that the leading vote getter for our new mascot is Akbar..

of course their facts are totally wrong, but I guarantee you that if sports talk in the Big 12 leads with that story...you know that the entire southeast is....

I will say it again...well played!