Vols and Rebels

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Ericvol2096
Water Boy
Water Boy

Looks like our game will be for a battle to stay alive in the bowl game races.

Tennessee has obviously had a rough year this year. We will be starting 4 freshman OL (maybe only 3 because Fulton is hurt). A freshman QB and a freshman FB.

Suprisngly saying all that I am still most worried about our D vs. your O. If Masoli is healthy he will have a big day. TN has not contanied athletic QB's at all this season.

I look for a high scoring game with the team that turns the ball over the least taking home the win!

What do you all think about your matchup w/ TN?
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

The biggest question in this game is how the newly emerging freshman QB handles the rush. He did well against the team that is 113th in the nation at getting to the QB, but how will he do against a team that is number three in the SEC and top twenty in the nation at getting to the QB? Assuming that the coaches have watched Ole Miss film, Tennessee will come out ready to throw screens and quick over the middle passes. If the QB can stand in and throw knowing that he is about to be flattened, he can do some serious damage againt Ole Miss's weakness. Don't come crying here about having to play freshmen and other underclassmen, believe me we feel your pain, quite literally. Twice this season we have shown up with the same starting Oline as the week before. The youngsters have matured well, but it has been a painful process at times. If Scott plays, we will have one of the fastest edge runners in the NCAA along with two very capable power backs. If he doesn't play, Herman still brings an edge threat but ball security is a question. If Masoli plays, he certainly brings an extra element, but if Stanley plays, he will know it well ahead of time and won't display the nerves that he showed Saturday. For some reason, our worst games this year has been at home and our best game was on the road in the most hostile environment we've entered. That gives me some hope with the next two games at Neyland and Death Valley. This game could go either way and it will depend totally on which Tennessee team shows up and which Mississippi team shows up. I wouldn't call any prediction crazy in this matchup. The only ones crazy in this are CBS. Why on earth would they show this game this year? Oh, in case you're young I'll tell you and your friends to be sure and bray like mules at the game... that is always a good idea when Ole Miss and Tennessee play.
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

Ericvol2096 wrote:Looks like our game will be for a battle to stay alive in the bowl game races.

Tennessee has obviously had a rough year this year. We will be starting 4 freshman OL (maybe only 3 because Fulton is hurt). A freshman QB and a freshman FB.

Suprisngly saying all that I am still most worried about our D vs. your O. If Masoli is healthy he will have a big day. TN has not contanied athletic QB's at all this season.

I look for a high scoring game with the team that turns the ball over the least taking home the win!

What do you all think about your matchup w/ TN?
Like you said, I expect a high-scoring affair, relatively speaking for the SEC that is. Hopefully the little bit of experience we have remaining in our front 7 on D will rise to the occasion and give us the edge against your relatively young front 5. If the season to this point is any indication, our pass defense will make your freshman QB look like Peyton Manning.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
Ericvol2096
Water Boy
Water Boy

I am definatley worried about ya'lls pass rush. Your two DT's are beasts, and they will dominate our front all day. Bray handled SCjr's pressure when he played them in the second half in that game and seems to have really good pocket presence. I look for you all to also have alot of screens and draws because we have been burned by them all year as well.

I think this has the making of a very ugly football game but should have alot of big plays in it. In other words I expect the offenses to just have some drives that just look awful, but then come back and have a 80 yard TD.

Will be a fun one to watch that should keep us all on the edge of our seats!
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

JustBlues wrote:Assuming that the coaches have watched Ole Miss film, Tennessee will come out ready to throw screens and quick over the middle passes.
This. UT (assuming Derek Dooley has an IQ above 40) will throw screens and flat routes all day. Mixed in with some draws and play action and we're going to get smashed in Neyland. I'm not a ney-sayer (swidt?), I'm a realist. Dooley circled us on the schedule after the Vandy loss as a great opportunity for a home SEC win and he's probably been watching our film a little bit in his spare time. Jim Chaney and Mr Dooley should be well prepared for our Defense. Their only concern will be execution. If the players are able to execute the plan and make plays when it counts, it'll be a long day for OM because Nix is absolutely INCAPABLE of adjustments.
L. S. WHO?
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I got a feeling this is going to be one fun game and tv will get its money worth. Yet it won't really matter to the rest of the sec. Still who cares? This is going to be a fun game!
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

bbqit wrote:I got a feeling this is going to be one fun game and tv will get its money worth. Yet it won't really matter to the rest of the sec. Still who cares? This is going to be a fun game!
The funnest games in my book are those where two solid defenses knock some heads around, therefore unless both teams do something different than they have thus far, it won't be so fun.
carl winslow
3rd String
3rd String

I think we win. And if we do it gets our fans back into it; which we definitely need.
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

carl winslow wrote:I think we win. And if we do it gets our fans back into it; which we definitely need.

Yes it will. Two of our three most hated still to play and one game from bowl time? Yep winning this game would mean a lot.
spudhog
3rd String
3rd String

I see this game being close. UT has hung with everyone at home for at least a half. That includes first half leads on Bama/Oregon. They have played really hard all season for Dooley. They obviously lack depth and experienced talent. They will have 100k on their side so, that can never be underestimated. They've only been blown out of the water once and that was at UGA.

IMO, OM will need to mix up their offensive attack. UT has come out of the blocks early in nearly home game and OM can't afford that on the road. I see Nutt installing a gameplan much like he did at ARK. Try to force the game into the 2nd half. OM is deeper and more talented.

Think it's a close game and I think a lot depends on the QB play of each team. UT is obviously a bit boosted by their young frosh and what he can possibly do for them. OM will have to see how Masoli is and if Stanley plays, how effective will he be.

It's definitely not going to be an easy game for OM. They will need to play for 4 full quarters.
Ericvol2096
Water Boy
Water Boy

Good analysis in this thread...I pretty much agree.

I am not sure how much of a factor the crowd will be...it is a noon game and is homecoming, typically the crowd is more worried about socializing during games like this....hopefully that won't be the case here.

Bray really played lights out last week, will be very interesting to see if he can do that against an SEC D.

Don't underestimate the talent TN has at WR. Moore and Jones are great SR. WR's and Stocker is an NFL TE.

Then we bring in two really talented freshman WR's behind them.

Hopefully they can create seperation downfield giving Bray open targets.
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Ericvol2096 wrote: Bray handled SCjr's pressure when he played them in the second half in that game and seems to have really good pocket presence.
Overall he did well against the SC rush, but that was only for half a game and there is one glaring exception-- under pressure he threw a very ill advised pass that was intercepted and returned for a touchdown. We wouldn't mind a few of those. This has potential of being a good game, but if either team slacks up it could get ugly either way. Both teams have been consistently inconsistent.
Ericvol2096
Water Boy
Water Boy

JustBlues wrote:
Ericvol2096 wrote: Bray handled SCjr's pressure when he played them in the second half in that game and seems to have really good pocket presence.
Both teams have been consistently inconsistent.
Never heard a truer statement. :lol:
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Hey ericVol,

I live about 90 miles away from Knoxville, but never been to Knoxville (except when driving through). I have some friends that are coming up from MS to go to the game with me. What are some places to go eat, drink, etc.? I appreciate any help you can give a K-Ville noob.
Some Random Dude
Ericvol2096
Water Boy
Water Boy

lewindha wrote:Hey ericVol,

I live about 90 miles away from Knoxville, but never been to Knoxville (except when driving through). I have some friends that are coming up from MS to go to the game with me. What are some places to go eat, drink, etc.? I appreciate any help you can give a K-Ville noob.
There are alot of great areas in Knoxville, but they are all pretty different depending on your age and what you are wanting to get into.

As for Friday night if you are wanting to be around college aged people then the strip is the best area. Cool Beans, Tap Room, Half Barrel are all great bars and New Amsterdam normally has a band on gameday weekends.

If you are wanting to be around a more young adult crowd Market Square or Old City are your best options. Downtown Grill and Brewery, and Barley's are some of my favorites.

Saturday Tailgating will be fun but is always not as lively for a noon game.

I would reccomend getting down to Calhouns on the river real early and posting up at the bar and trying to get onto a boat tailgate. Nothing like tailgaiting on the water before a football game!

Good restraunts to look into. Ye Olde Steakhouse, Chesapeake's, Butcher Shop, Copper Celler.

Gus's Good Times Deli is an awesome late night destination.

You will have a blast, I live in Charleston, SC now and wish I could make it up myself!