throw it in the dirt?

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

AtlantaRebels
2nd String
2nd String

I really hope they don't do the whole "throw it in the dirt" routine this year. You know its one thing to me at the game its bareable but watching it on TV with one side of my family which are fans of other teams is embarrassing. It just seems that it puts a negative light on ole miss. Thoughts. .comments?
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

AtlantaRebels wrote:I really hope they don't do the whole "throw it in the dirt" routine this year. You know its one thing to me at the game its bareable but watching it on TV with one side of my family which are fans of other teams is embarrassing. It just seems that it puts a negative light on ole miss. Thoughts. .comments?
Its our thing and I for one love it. problem is since the originator of the chant passed away, no one knows how to properly do it.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
------------------

john_avery_fast wrote:
AtlantaRebels wrote:I really hope they don't do the whole "throw it in the dirt" routine this year. You know its one thing to me at the game its bareable but watching it on TV with one side of my family which are fans of other teams is embarrassing. It just seems that it puts a negative light on ole miss. Thoughts. .comments?
Its our thing and I for one love it. problem is since the originator of the chant passed away, no one knows how to properly do it.
I love it too...just because it's ours.
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

It's one of the best chants/cheers in the SEC and possibly college baseball. Baseball, especially college baseball is one of those sports where the crowd can LITERALLY affect the game. We can get inside the opposing teams heads, distract them, get them angry, nervous or force an error. Heckling in baseball is an art form. I'm not suggesting truly foul language or disgusting comments, but good ol fashioned ribbing and jeering are expected and invaluable in protecting our home field.

Throw it in the dirt is an OM original (and one which other teams are now copying) and it's effective. Be proud of it. If your family doesn't like it, it's because it makes their pitchers throw it in the dirt. Tell them to take in a series at Alex Box if they want to hear things that make them truly uncomfortable. Compared to the crap those corn dogs yell, TIITD is a lullaby.
L. S. WHO?
Heath
All American
All American

I love it too. How many people do yall think say, " I wish those Duke students wouldnt get so loud and try to distract the opposing team's player while he's shooting a free throw." that is what true home field/court advantage is. It is unique cheers/chants designed to get the crowd into it in order to distract the other team. If they need to stop doing that, then we need to stop doing Hotty Toddy at the football games too.
done

I haven't been able to get to Oxford for a baseball game in a long time. I wasn't aware we did this. I haven't heard it when watching us on TV....thank God. To be honest it sounds pretty classless to me. And to me it is different than hotty toddy which is a cheer for our team not a taunt against our opponent. I am glad we don't yell "fumble the ball" all through football games. That would be the equivalent, not Hotty Toddy. Just my opinion. I wouldn't yell it.
Nor would I encourage or allow my kids to (with my knowledge )
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

it's corny and I don't do it. I only get to 2-4 games a year, and the one's that do it have fun with it and I'm for letting them have fun.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I agree. Everyone should shut the hell up. Sit in your seat, say nothing, and don't move. On the rare occasion when a Grand Slam happens, you may give a very mild 'golf' clap. In the event that the other team hits a slam, you may 'golf' clap, but it's not encouraged.
Last edited by lewindha on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some Random Dude
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

someone give us a you-tube version
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:I agree. Everyone should shut the hell up. Sit in your sit, say nothing, and don't move. On the rare occasion when a Grand Slam happens, you may give a very mild 'golf' clap. In the event that the other team hits a slam, you may 'golf' clap, but it's not encouraged.
Everyone should cheer on the rebels in the fashion that is best suited to their personality. No one should be chastened just because they have the personality type that they don't get overly excited nor should anyone be chastened because they are more excitable as long as they don't infringe on the rights of others to enjoy the game.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

To me, it's typical Ole Miss fandom. Something like 'Throw It In the Dirt' is classless, blah, blah, blah. You get 6 or 7 thousand people feeling like that and then you've got no loud cheering.

Aren't people on here always griping about how no one cheers at the football games. It b/c people think it's classless or unbecoming to be a screaming maniac at an Ole Miss football. You do what you want to do and don't criticize others for doing it how they want to. Of course, I'm not talking about those who curse and stuff around young folks. But if someone wants to yell and scream at the team, the opponent, or the officials, who cares. It's not the Masters and it's not the Quiet Game.
Some Random Dude
felicianareb
2nd String
2nd String

I'm all for cheering. It's just that "Throw it in the dirt" sounds like something you'd hear shouted at a little league park. Can't we be a bit more clever than this?
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

felicianareb wrote:I'm all for cheering. It's just that "Throw it in the dirt" sounds like something you'd hear shouted at a little league park. Can't we be a bit more clever than this?

let's find out: show us what you came up with.
felicianareb
2nd String
2nd String

rebelliousb wrote:
felicianareb wrote:I'm all for cheering. It's just that "Throw it in the dirt" sounds like something you'd hear shouted at a little league park. Can't we be a bit more clever than this?

let's find out: show us what you came up with.
If you want to rattle a pitcher you've got to get real personal. I invite everyone on this board to volunteer the best insults they've heard used against an opposing pitcher...
------------------

I have a hard time understanding how "throw it in the dirt" can be characterized as "classless". It's not like our fans are chanting "your mamma is a *beep*" or collectively waving their wieners at the pitcher. Seems completely harmless to me, and if it gets our fans into the game, what's the harm?