On a lighter note....

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Heath
All American
All American

I met Markieth Summers yesterday at the gamewatching party here in Austin. He is a really nice guy. He told some hillarious stories about Ed O. Markieth said Coach O would drink nothing but coffee and Red Bull! I asked Markieth about Coach O getting mad during practice and he said O would get mad and his lip would start quiverring. Then, he would start yelling a bunch of stuff that noone ever understood. Markieth said he would just say, "Yes sir!", and hope that O left him alone after that. :lol: :lol: He also said that O would yell at the assistant coaches more than he did the players.

Markieth also said that Mackey is "the Man"! He said Mackey is the best QB, passing and athletic ability. So, I guess we can take that for what it's worth.
AtlantaRebels
2nd String
2nd String

Saweet! I'm jeleous.... Id like to see Mackey more too.. Stout throws into the great wide too much without the player being open... Not gonna work on better CBs
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

I worked with a guy a couple of years ago that play ball with him in high school. Didn't really put too much trust in him after the boy told me that HE played in front of Markeith.

I don't agree with Summers on the QB deal. Granted I haven't been on the practice field with them, but from Saturday/last week, I think Stoudt COULD be a d*** good QB. Let him go through this year and settle in, next year COULD be special. Those coulds lay in the hands of our coaches, so take that for what its worth.

**Not taking anything away from Mackey, but I just think Stoudt is the type of QB we've needed the last couple of years....
A10Rebel
3rd String
3rd String

The team favors Mackey.
"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice."
-Wayne Dyer
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

WildRebel wrote:I worked with a guy a couple of years ago that play ball with him in high school. Didn't really put too much trust in him after the boy told me that HE played in front of Markeith.

I don't agree with Summers on the QB deal. Granted I haven't been on the practice field with them, but from Saturday/last week, I think Stoudt COULD be a d*** good QB. Let him go through this year and settle in, next year COULD be special. Those coulds lay in the hands of our coaches, so take that for what its worth.

**Not taking anything away from Mackey, but I just think Stoudt is the type of QB we've needed the last couple of years....

We had major protection issues last year at the beginning of the season. Our sacks given up were scewed because of Masoli's ability to escape pressure. I am with Atlanta, Stoudt did a good job of staying in against the rush but some of his passes are late and will be jumped against more athletic corners. This team is built to be an up tempo zone option read team that can get the ball into Wrs hands and make something happen. We have too much talent at the wr position to not put it in their hands.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

If we think we are going to win in the SEC running that zone option read crap, we are screwed. Our only hope to develop a winning PROGRAM in the SEC is to get our running backs healthy and continue to recruit good ones and have a QB who can throw off of play action and is preferably taller than 5'11".

As far as this year goes I believe that if at least Enrique gets back and Scott can do his magic, then Stoudt is our best hope. Mackey abandoned the pocket early at least three times Saturday. Stoudt has managed to get away from pressure on several occasions while still keeping his passing options open and he knows when to throw the ball away instead of taking a sack or an interception. Now we do need to get the boy a little Lester Hayes stick 'em so he can hold onto the d*** ball, but based upon what little we have seen he appears to me at least to be the only true quarterback we have.

We have really had about three really good seasons in 30 plus years (2003, 2008, 2009) in all three of those years we had traditional drop back QBs and exciting athletes who those QB's delivered the ball to. In none of those seasons did we expect our QB to act or look like a running back.
hbsurvey23
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

Amen Rebchuck! If you get the defense afraid of the pass threat enough, even a not so speedy qb can pick up a first down here and there with his legs if the opportunity presents itself. (Snead did it occasionally). That being said, we really need a traditional run threat to create any of this. The o-line really needs to step up as well.
A10Rebel
3rd String
3rd String

hbsurvey23 wrote:Amen Rebchuck! If you get the defense afraid of the pass threat enough, even a not so speedy qb can pick up a first down here and there with his legs if the opportunity presents itself. (Snead did it occasionally). That being said, we really need a traditional run threat to create any of this. The o-line really needs to step up as well.
for all the hype as to how big our line is we ought to be dominating the guys in front of us. Instead we're letting SIU come screaming off the edge and smashing our QB's, no lanes for our RB's, little or no push, and beat on pass protection. We look like chumps right now.
"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice."
-Wayne Dyer
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

A10Rebel wrote: ...we're letting SIU come screaming off the edge and smashing our QB's...
Other than blitz packages-- which aren't the oline's fault because they are outnumbered (QB should read it and check off)-- it wasn't the edge rush that was hurting us. It was right up the middle with big number 52 hitting the gap between Junen and Hawkins. Now he is probably the best interior defensive lineman in FCS, but he IS in FCS. I agree that our line has to do better.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rebchuck18 wrote:If we think we are going to win in the SEC running that zone option read crap, we are screwed. Our only hope to develop a winning PROGRAM in the SEC is to get our running backs healthy and continue to recruit good ones and have a QB who can throw off of play action and is preferably taller than 5'11".

As far as this year goes I believe that if at least Enrique gets back and Scott can do his magic, then Stoudt is our best hope. Mackey abandoned the pocket early at least three times Saturday. Stoudt has managed to get away from pressure on several occasions while still keeping his passing options open and he knows when to throw the ball away instead of taking a sack or an interception. Now we do need to get the boy a little Lester Hayes stick 'em so he can hold onto the d*** ball, but based upon what little we have seen he appears to me at least to be the only true quarterback we have.

We have really had about three really good seasons in 30 plus years (2003, 2008, 2009) in all three of those years we had traditional drop back QBs and exciting athletes who those QB's delivered the ball to. In none of those seasons did we expect our QB to act or look like a running back.
Maybe you are right, but 03 it was Eli's show. 08 and 09 our defense was A LOT better and anybody that could throw the ball 50 yards would have had success with Mike Wallace. We did not play in the championship game any of those years. For the next couple of weeks especially we have to run zone option read and try to get these playmaker in space on the edges. Bubble screens, zone option read, quick hits, all will be in the playbook this week. Stoudt will get the first shot and it will be his show if he has success, but Mackey will come in when he struggles. I hope that I am wrong, but wait and watch the paint dry. I'm confident(hopeful) that our coaching staff still has more sense than our fans
A10Rebel
3rd String
3rd String

MageeRebel425 wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:If we think we are going to win in the SEC running that zone option read crap, we are screwed. Our only hope to develop a winning PROGRAM in the SEC is to get our running backs healthy and continue to recruit good ones and have a QB who can throw off of play action and is preferably taller than 5'11".

Maybe you are right, but 03 it was Eli's show. 08 and 09 our defense was A LOT better and anybody that could throw the ball 50 yards would have had success with Mike Wallace. We did not play in the championship game any of those years. For the next couple of weeks especially we have to run zone option read and try to get these playmaker in space on the edges. Bubble screens, zone option read, quick hits, all will be in the playbook this week. Stoudt will get the first shot and it will be his show if he has success, but Mackey will come in when he struggles. I hope that I am wrong, but wait and watch the paint dry. I'm confident(hopeful) that our coaching staff still has more sense than our fans

If we can beat Vandy; (and I cannot believe I'm saying this) there's hope for our season this year. If we get smoked....
-Wayne Dyer
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

MageeRebel425 wrote:

As far as this year goes I believe that if at least Enrique gets back and Scott can do his magic, then Stoudt is our best hope. Mackey abandoned the pocket early at least three times Saturday. Stoudt has managed .
hope you're right about our coaches seeing the obvious...also hope Davis is back this week and that Brandon is back by UGA but there is no guarantee on either timeline and in the interim we have to use the talent we have - namely a speedy receiving core and a qb with the arm, moves and experience to get it to them and hope our D keeps getting the TOs.
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

MageeRebel425 wrote:
WildRebel wrote:I worked with a guy a couple of years ago that play ball with him in high school. Didn't really put too much trust in him after the boy told me that HE played in front of Markeith.

We had major protection issues last year at the beginning of the season. Our sacks given up were scewed because of Masoli's ability to escape pressure. I am with Atlanta, Stoudt did a good job of staying in against the rush but some of his passes are late and will be jumped against more athletic corners. This team is built to be an up tempo zone option read team that can get the ball into Wrs hands and make something happen. We have too much talent at the wr position to not put it in their hands.
No, I would say our O-line is built to be the complete opposite of that. We have one of the biggest lines in the whole nation. That group should be able to hold the Gulf of Mexico back, but they are soft. Look at our backs, besides Scott, our stable of full of 200+ pound backs. Sure, we have talent at WR, but they are young and not ready to carry the team.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

WildRebel wrote:
MageeRebel425 wrote:

No, I would say our O-line is built to be the complete opposite of that. We have one of the biggest lines in the whole nation. That group should be able to hold the Gulf of Mexico back, but they are soft. Look at our backs, besides Scott, our stable of full of 200+ pound backs. Sure, we have talent at WR, but they are young and not ready to carry the team.

I would agree with you in theory but just theory alone. You used the right language our o-line is BUILT to be the complete opposite of zone option spread. We SHOULD be able to hold back the Gulf, but based on two games, we cant right now.. You were also right in saying they are SOFT, which is why we should zone block. Let them big behinds just get in the way and make a crease. We are not asking 1 wr to carry the load. They are young but Logan is not a baby. VS has been in the program. Moncrief looks like an upperclassman and has played very well, brassell is lightning, and I bet Tobias can catch a bubble screen. Things shuold be different when we get Bolden back, but I stick by my statement the here and now says spread em out and go zone option to Jeff Scott..
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

Markeith's comments on Mackey-not saying he isn't right, but he has never had Stoudt or Brunetti throw to him, so his comment has a bit of bias behind it.

On the OL-We are big, but quite possibly too big (actually too tall would be a better way to put it) on the interior. Hall is 6'9 and Junen is listed as 6'6. In the run game, they both seem to have difficulty getting leverage on shorter DTs (heck SIU's DL were quoted as saying this), which doesn't bode well for a power running game; unfortunately they all seem to have problems getting to the second level of the defense, which doesn't bode well for a zone blocking scheme, i.e. what you need for a read option offense. Our pass blocking hasn't been great, but it hasn't been as terrible as some want to believe. We had a few broken protections against BYU (not solely on the OL) and a few more on Saturday on the interior against SIU-primarily assignment stuff, which can be rectified if the guys put in the work.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'