OKay, lets be realistic...

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

lets look at this thing rationally and realistically...all of us want to eventually have Nutt leave if he can't fix it... very few if any of us actually think he can do anything other than at best middle of the SEC pack.
His Buyout is currently 6 mil and he isn't going anywhere with a buyout that large... so we are stuck together at the hip with him for the forseeable future. We have a 150 mil campaign going on and a recruiting season that is just around the corner that has the potential to be as good or better than all of the rest since Nutt has been here.(we can all agree that it isn't talent that has suffered here) The new ESPN television contract will be renegotiated when ATM comes in the spring and there will another 10-12 mill per school added to the SEC coffers.

With that all said and stated, the 150 Mill campaign is the 800 lb gorilla in the room and the reason that I personally think nothing will be done to jeopardize the success there...The New ESPN contract money (coming in the spring) should easily pay any buyout that is needed and also to pay anyone we want as a new HC if one is necessary (I say this because changing horses right now could be dangerous to the recruiting year and campaign for excellence and nobody really wants Boone to make any decisons regarding who we get for the future HC hires) Waiting and watching and gearing up to make that next hire might be in order...the next hire has got to be a HOME RUN amongst all REBELS everywhere of all age brackets. Nothing else will do if our 150 mil campaign is going to be successful. To prove my point just wait and see how many asses are in the seats this weekend in Vaught for the Georgia game. I bet it will be a dismal turnout.

Waiting and making Nutt make the hard choices and sitting on him a la Cutcliffe might make him leave of his own accord without a buyout being a problem. I guarantee you before Jan 1 that there will be a sister SEC school that will go and find and pay a coach somewhere 6 mill a year... probably Georgia. That will be the going rate for HC I expect. The New ESPN contract that is going to be renegotiated will probably be an extra 1-12 mill when aTm enters the picture in the spring. Money to hire anyone (Even the EVIL Saban) in the country if spent properly on athletics.

With all of the soul searching I have done over the last few sleepless hours I think maybe waiting and watching and sitting back and making Nutt feel his own hot seat might be just what the doctor ordered. All the while collecting names and making lists and judging interests and biding our time until we can find the right hire...for the right money...to satisfy everyone that is going to help with the 150 mill campaign and not alienate anyone... it is going to take everyone on board to realize success in that area and it is also going to make us competitive (hopefully) the longest and probably more so than any coaching hire we could ever make anyway. The way I see it... we have one pitch coming and it is IMPERATIVE we hit a home run or suffer a Huge setback. It has to be the right pitch we swing at and Boone is the Pitcher (God Help us) and any success we have for the next 20 years is on the line.

I ain't one for making hasty decisions that could be harmful just because I am mad at the moment. Lets let things play out... I for one think time is on our side...at least for the moment... we got plenty of football to be played out before we can hire anyone right now anyway. Boone has got to be run off first anyway. Maybe both of em (Boone and Nutt) will gun each other down worrying about what needs to be done next. I say we wait and watch.
Later,
Hagar
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

In most cases I would agree but not in this case. We need to pull the trigger now, put an interim in and be the first program in line for a new coach. The interim can do the best he can with this year but our immediate focus right now needs to be cleaning house and starting over exactly so we don't have to make a last minute orgeron like decision.
Grenada Reb
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

I've been soul searching since Jax State... I know I don't post near enough but my gosh I've sure suffered enough.

You get tired of sucking and occasionally getting to a decent bowl, it's a systemic problem. Dan Mullen has the leg humpers performing at their highest level, they just ran out of talent last Thursday. When is the last time we could say that? When is the last time we can say our plan was spot on, that we fought as hard as we could but just came up a little short to a superior talented team?

Based on the fact the we have Top 25 recruiting classes we will still finish back in the SEC unless we find a great tactician and find a way to pull even better recruits. The SEC West is the Baddest of the Bad.
badmotorfinger
All American
All American

Rebchuck18 wrote:In most cases I would agree but not in this case. We need to pull the trigger now, put an interim in and be the first program in line for a new coach. The interim can do the best he can with this year but our immediate focus right now needs to be cleaning house and starting over exactly so we don't have to make a last minute orgeron like decision.
I can see where both of you are coming from. I agree with Hagar though, letting go of the HC right now could jeopardize recruiting. I will say, not many decisions made hastily are ever good, especially with the clown we have as AD.
Rule #1.......Don't panik
wildthang80
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

No trigger will be pulled, we will not win a marquee game this year, we will lose to State by 21. Mark it down and prove me wrong. I had faith last year and nothing happened. We are worse this year than last year....and that my friends is bad.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

6,000,000/60,000= $100 a piece

Some can pay more some can pay less...
hbsurvey23
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

MageeRebel425 wrote:6,000,000/60,000= $100 a piece

Now that's a bargain. My check is in the mail!
Burrrrrrrr.... There's a cold front moving through Oxford.
ReservoirReb
3rd String
3rd String

Even I can handle that. Could probably take up a collection in the Grove on Saturday if anyone besides me is going to be there and cover most if not all of it.
"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an
intolerable one." - Thomas Paine
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

Rebchuck18 wrote:In most cases I would agree but not in this case. We need to pull the trigger now, put an interim in and be the first program in line for a new coach. The interim can do the best he can with this year but our immediate focus right now needs to be cleaning house and starting over exactly so we don't have to make a last minute orgeron like decision.
I am with you on this one. I realize that even if we are the first opening doesn't mean we get first pick, but it allows us to get out there, do some searching, find out who is really interested and what it will take, then start to weigh pros/cons for each viable candidate, and then make the hire. I am not stupid...there will be candidates who will be interested if and only if certain jobs don't open up (UGA, UCLA, Ohio State, Clemson, etc), but at least starting early and being open about it gets our foot in the door with several potential hires.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

john_avery_fast wrote:
I am with you on this one. I realize that even if we are the first opening doesn't mean we get first pick, but it allows us to get out there, do some searching, find out who is really interested and what it will take, then start to weigh pros/cons for each viable candidate, and then make the hire. I am not stupid...there will be candidates who will be interested if and only if certain jobs don't open up (UGA, UCLA, Ohio State, Clemson, etc), but at least starting early and being open about it gets our foot in the door with several potential hires.
Yep, on the same side of the pool with you guys.
Randy
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

We are +10 at home against Georgia.. If they beat us by 21 or more, the trigger needs to be pulled Sunday... We are the worst team in the SEC by a lot.. I'm sick of everybody acting like nobody decent would look at our job.. .Money talks, Nutt is not getting paid peanuts. I promise a lot of people would be willing to take a job in the best division in football. I have been along for the Nutt ride but I said before we hired him, we needed to get a proven winner that has flipped bad programs into winners every step of the way. I was big on Brian Kelly when we cut O loose, that was when Brian Kelly was at Central Michigan and not a household name. The problem with getting a big name that is not at a lower level school, there has to be a reason they are leaving or left their previous school. I still think Nutt is an ok coach.. I do think college football has and is changing and he is not on the cutting edge. We need a guy that we are confident knows more than the guy directly across from him any given Saturday. If we plan to line up and out-athlete LSU, Auburn, Bama, any given year we are *beep* in the wind.
Last edited by MageeRebel425 on Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rebelhellyell
Water Boy
Water Boy

Nutt is not the problem. His running game is second to none when he has his athletes in place. This season he had to remove some kids with poor character, but overall the program is on the right track. Things will get better, but he needs more time.
ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rebelhellyell wrote:Nutt is not the problem. His running game is second to none when he has his athletes in place. This season he had to remove some kids with poor character, but overall the program is on the right track. Things will get better, but he needs more time.

Bacon........you need a hobby.

metalinc
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

[quote="MageeRebel425"]6,000,000/60,000= $100 a piece

Some can pay more some can pay

If it will help I am game
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

metalinc wrote:

Some can pay more some can pay

If it will help I am game

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/um/2011/ ... ower-poll/

I am down for whatever helps this.. Pathetic...