Letter from Chancellor Dan Jones

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

cajunrebel

Just got this email this morning from Chancellor Jones.

Office of the Chancellor
University, MS 38677-1848

Dear Ole Miss Family,

The Ole Miss Creed begins: “The University of Mississippi is a community of learning dedicated to nurturing excellence in intellectual inquiry and personal character in an open and diverse environment. As a voluntary member of this community, I believe in respect for the dignity of each person; I believe in fairness and civility.”

These words say a lot about who we are as a university family. They establish that the excellence we seek in all aspects of university life rests on respect, dignity, fairness, and civility, and that we come together as a community. Further, we commit to being open with one another and valuing personal character. These words represent important Ole Miss values. Robust debates and disagreements always have taken place at institutions such as Ole Miss. The current controversy in athletics has gone beyond that.

Many are aware of anonymous, malicious and public attacks on athletics director Pete Boone. The Ole Miss family may not be aware, however, that as a part of this orchestrated campaign, I have received threats, promising that if I do not remove Pete Boone, "It is going to get real ugly," and threatening to expand the attacks to other athletics employees.

Friends, supporters and the media have asked how I will react to this anonymous and vicious pressure. The short answer is that I will not react.

To maintain accreditation, the university must remain “free from undue influence from political, religious and other external bodies.” I would be less than the chancellor Ole Miss needs if I reacted to these polarizing tactics employed by anonymous critics. To do so would not only threaten the university’s accreditation, but it also would impair future university leaders by encouraging others to use such tactics to achieve personal, political or unsavory agendas or to harm the university.

As a university, we are committed to excellence in all things—including athletics. I regularly review the performance of all those who report to me, including Mr. Boone. But I cannot and will not engage in any sort of review in response to a public campaign to force his removal.

A debate worthy of attention is about who we are as a university family. Will we remain civil, reasonable people? Will we respect the dignity of each person? I believe we will. We know what our values are.

The current campaign against the university and its athletic leadership is uncivil. It is not in the spirit of the Ole Miss family. It hinders the goals set forth in the Creed and is not in the interest of our university. I call on those involved in the campaign to stop, and I call on every person who loves Ole Miss to denounce it in every way possible.

Dan Jones, Chancellor
The University of Mississippi
"I'm a solid verbal."

- Prospect name here
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

This campaign is being run by non OM people who have their own agenda and do not care about UM. I think the only way to effectively defuse the situation is for the OM family to unite in a resounding denouement of this campaign. Families can be very harsh on their family members, but God help the outsider who tries the same tactic. However it may be too late.
ReservoirReb
3rd String
3rd String

I got it too. Long story short, Boone is here to stay.
"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an
intolerable one." - Thomas Paine
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

ReservoirReb wrote:I got it too. Long story short, Boone is here to stay.
I firmly believe that if people wouldn't be absolute idiots and force the circling of the wagons, Boone would retire.
cajunrebel

I think it is ironic that Dan Jones has now gone public to criticize people for going public with their criticism.
"I'm a solid verbal."

- Prospect name here
BovinaREB
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

bleuwolfe wrote:This campaign is being run by non OM people who have their own agenda and do not care about UM. I think the only way to effectively defuse the situation is for the OM family to unite in a resounding denouement of this campaign. Families can be very harsh on their family members, but God help the outsider who tries the same tactic. However it may be too late.
The campaign to remove all things ole miss was also run and pushed by non om people. Hes mad about all this and so were we last year. I didnt read all his bs.
ReservoirReb
3rd String
3rd String

JustBlues wrote:
ReservoirReb wrote:I got it too. Long story short, Boone is here to stay.
I firmly believe that if people wouldn't be absolute idiots and force the circling of the wagons, Boone would retire.
I disagree. I believe that Boone would continue what Boone is doing. He recently told Richard Cross that he has two years remaining on his current contract AND that he believes he is the best man for the job.
"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an
intolerable one." - Thomas Paine
------------------

BovinaREB wrote:
bleuwolfe wrote:This campaign is being run by non OM people who have their own agenda and do not care about UM. I think the only way to effectively defuse the situation is for the OM family to unite in a resounding denouement of this campaign. Families can be very harsh on their family members, but God help the outsider who tries the same tactic. However it may be too late.
The campaign to remove all things ole miss was also run and pushed by non om people. Hes mad about all this and so were we last year. I didnt read all his bs.
Speaking of "BS"...I'm calling it on your claim that "The campaign to remove all things ole miss was also run by non-Ole Miss people". If you're going to make a provocative statement like that, you need facts to back it up.
theghostofcolonelreb
Scout Team
Scout Team

BovinaREB wrote:
Careful BovinaREB, they will hang and/or crucify you if you bring any of you "conspiracies" up in here. I was recently informed of this very thing. :roll:
The only two things in life that make it worth livin'...
Are guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women
------------------

theghostofcolonelreb wrote:
BovinaREB wrote:
Careful BovinaREB, they will hang and/or crucify you if you bring any of you "conspiracies" up in here. I was recently informed of this very thing. :roll:
You know what? You're d@mn right I will, because they have NO foundation in reason, logic, or common sense and are almost ALWAYS based on innuendo, rumors, and bald-faced LIES. And I'll be the first one to call BS when ANYONE posts one here.
theghostofcolonelreb
Scout Team
Scout Team

Bring out the tar and feathers! They have an opinion! They must die! And burn! And die again! d*** them and their opinions! d*** them all to Hell! And have them take their "Tra-dish-uns" with them!

In other news, I also feel that a letter like this just, along with all the other reports, confirms the continuance of the same ole same. I think for Pete and Dan it's gotten to the point now that they're not either one going to make a change just to prove the point that no one can force them to. I also am almost so tired of thinking and talking about it that I don't even look forward to Saturday anymore. But hey, there's always Sunday, and Eli has a favorable match-up this weekend!
Last edited by theghostofcolonelreb on Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
------------------

theghostofcolonelreb wrote:Bring out the tar and feathers! They have an opinion! They must die! And burn! And die again! d*** them and their opinions! d*** them all to Hell! And have them take their "Tra-dish-uns" with them!
If you think this is clever, think again because it's NOT. And I don't give a flying crap about what you erroneously believe to be an "opinion" when it's obviously nothing but non-factual, conspiratorial BS...a LIE.
theghostofcolonelreb
Scout Team
Scout Team

Sasquatch wrote:
theghostofcolonelreb wrote:Bring out the tar and feathers! They have an opinion! They must die! And burn! And die again! d*** them and their opinions! d*** them all to Hell! And have them take their "Tra-dish-uns" with them!
If you think this is clever, think again because it's NOT. And I don't give a flying crap about what you erroneously believe to be an "opinion" when it's obviously nothing but non-factual, conspiratorial BS...a LIE.
Did somebody *beep* in your cheerios?

You're awful angry for a Thursday morning. Hell, wait 'til Saturday..... you'll probably have a reason to be angry then, or at least sad, or discontent, etc.
------------------

theghostofcolonelreb wrote: Did somebody *beep* in your cheerios?

You're awful angry for a Thursday morning. Hell, wait 'til Saturday..... you'll probably have a reason to be angry then, or at least sad, or discontent, etc.
Being forced to deal with idiocy will do that to you.
BovinaREB
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

Come on sasquatch, it will be alright.