Attitudes

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

colreb1974
Scout Team
Scout Team

I personally know that my attitude toward this team stinks more than usual. I have always been a loyal fan and will continue to be and no I am not drinking any kool aid. I just think that all of the rebelfaithful and myself inlcuded needs to have a better attitude. I am a sore loser and I do not get over it well. We can blame whomever we would like but at this point it is not going to change last year or what has happened so far this year. We have some young good players that have to grow up and grow up quick but if they were to hear all this negativity why would they want to give it their all? I for one do not like Boone at all and I am not a HDN hater. I hear people complaining about recruiting but correct me if I am wrong but we just had one of the best classes we have ever had. These recruits may not be we would call our type of players but guess what we are not the coaches and no matter what coach you have here he will never satisfy all of us. We are all entitled to our opinion and maybe I am being a little to easy on these guys but a little positive reinforcement makes all the difference in the world. I will now wait for the bashing but I would not expect less from some.
"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary." - Vince Lombardi
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

well said.
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

I respect your opinion but totally disagree. The situation Ole Miss is in is party due to the attitude that most of us has had over the years, basically the attitude you described that we "need" to have. We've always settled and been satisfied with a good season(8-9 wins) here and there and just blown off the below .500 seasons saying it will get better. Guess what? It's not and won't as long as we as supporters of Ole Miss continue to settle for less than perfect. If you don't discipline an out of hand child, he's never going to learn or attempt to get on the right path....Same goes for our athletic department. If I'm giving my money(which I'm not at the moment) to a group that is not giving me anything in return, or at least giving it their best effort, then I'm *beep* in the wind. And I'm not talking about our players. It's getting to the point where frustration is not even the right word for it....UNACCEPTABLE!!!
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Just out of sincere curiosity where are you saying the positive reinforcement will make such a difference? Because I have seen that model fail in several walks of life over the past few decades. Of course you positively reinforce as a motivational tool in business or in child rearing or in education, etc. But if you see the same cycle of failure and pattern of shortcomings at what time does blind positive reinforcement give way to accountability?

And which is it? I hear that the administration wants to make a change but can't because of Forward Rebels and then I hear that this coaching staff just needs time and we should support them. Do you guys really believe that this coaching staff can be trusted to turn this around (with Nutt at the helm) and do you believe that Nutt is the kind of Coach who can develop an offense run by an SEC caliber quarterback?

If your argument is give Nutt time, I wholeheartedly disagree, but at least I can stomach that argument better than "we can't make a change now because we will be bending to evil pressure". If you really think that either Mackey or Stoudt or Brunetti is a quarterback that can win in the SEC and that Nutt can regain focus he lost last August and be an effective coach I think you are delusional but I can buy that argument over the ones that just say we should be good little troopers, continue to show up results be damned and be concerned about hurting the feelings of players, many of whom would prefer to not even acknowledge their affiliation with us once playing in the SEC gets them into the NFL.

If you want to praise Mackey for an 8 for 18 performance against a phantom pass defense I can respect that a whole lot more than most of the arguments that have been made against making a change right now. Because I can acknowledge that I may be wrong in my evaluation of what we have on the sidelines and on the field. But I can not stomach continuing to support it even if we don't believe in it. I have witnessed 40 plus years of positive reinforcement that has led to two or three years of higher level outcome. If you promote the acceptance of incompetency...then you will get what you ask for.

At the end of the day, whether Nutt stays or goes, whether Boone stays or goes, I am a happy and blessed man...but I do believe that on 12 (and hopefully 13 or 14) Saturdays each year I will be just a little bit happier if we make a change sooner than later. I am one of the most Glass Half Full guys you will ever meet and I have so much patience it has actually worked against me in certain situations, but I do know that positive reinforcement of a bad situation is not always the right answer. But I respect your opinion and if you want to be super positive then more power to you.
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I think Nutt gives enough possitive reinforcement for all of us.
Chucky_38
All American
All American

I wear Ole Miss gear, I buy new gear, I go to games, I yell like hell for my Rebels. Thats pretty positive. I come here to vent and be negative. If I'm wrong for that, so be it.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
AtlantaRebels
2nd String
2nd String

I don't believe he was saying to give Boone or Nutt reinforcement but the players... He was referring to us saying stout blows ball dangles and sowell can lick a turd and what have you.... I doubt those were actually posted but that's what I'm thinking
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Possitive reinforcement:

Stoudt, I just want to say that when you fumbled late in the 4th against BYU and cost us the game, you did it with style. Good job!

Offensive line, it's awesome how you let the linebackers rush past you untouched! Keep up the good work.

Defense, congratulations on all the records you are on target to break this year, like rushing yards allowed, missed tackles, etc., etc!

As Charlie Sheen would say, "Winning!"
mpzreb17
All SEC
All SEC

You know what Nick Saban said about the game before they kicked off? "We don't play opponents, we play to a standard."

That's the attitude we need in Oxford. Hold the team to a standard of winning and do whatever it takes to bring the axe to AD's and HC's where needed.
We Are Ole Miss
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

mpzreb17 wrote:You know what Nick Saban said about the game before they kicked off? "We don't play opponents, we play to a standard."

That's the attitude we need in Oxford. Hold the team to a standard of winning and do whatever it takes to bring the axe to AD's and HC's where needed.
We used to have standards. IMO, it falls solely on the Coaches and AD when we lose. They recruited, trained, and keep the underperforming athletes in the game!