Text wars

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

JoeRebel
3rd String
3rd String

Conflicting text messages in ala and hatttiesburg! Let the thumb wrestling begin!!!!
"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."
Ronald Reagan
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Maybe the real scoop will come from Houston instead of Tuscaloosa or hattiesburg....hey ya can't blame a Guy for hoping 8)
mpzreb17
All SEC
All SEC

Rebchuck18 wrote:Maybe the real scoop will come from Houston instead of Tuscaloosa or hattiesburg....hey ya can't blame a Guy for hoping 8)
I hope so too. CUSA isn't the best for a schedule but undefeated is undefeated. On top of that, Texas is Texas.

If it's gotta be a no name, let it be the one from the place called, um....what is it...uh... oh that's right, UH.
We Are Ole Miss
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

mpzreb17 wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:Maybe the real scoop will come from Houston instead of Tuscaloosa or hattiesburg....hey ya can't blame a Guy for hoping 8)
I hope so too. CUSA isn't the best for a schedule but undefeated is undefeated. On top of that, Texas is Texas.

If it's gotta be a no name, let it be the one from the place called, um....what is it...uh... oh that's right, UH.
Undefeated in CUSA isn't a huge deal, but it does prove at least one thing...this guy has his team prepared and ready to play every week. Which would be a nice change from being unprepared and not ready to play every week.
cajunrebel

rebelbear wrote:
mpzreb17 wrote:

Undefeated in CUSA isn't a huge deal, but it does prove at least one thing...this guy has his team prepared and ready to play every week. Which would be a nice change from being unprepared and not ready to play every week.

I see what you are saying as far as strength of competition but here is what I think.

Undefeated in any conference in college football means to me (even CUSA):

1) You were able to out recruit everybody else in your tier and get the top available talent to your school.
2) You were able to assemble a competent staff that was able to convey your orders and teach up the recruits at their skilled position.
3) You were able to work with the administration towards a common goal. (We all know how that has worked for us)
4) You were able to keep the kids focused for 18 to 20 weeks on the main task - winning football games.
5) You were able to keep your players in line and out of trouble.
6) You were able to get your players to buy into what you are selling (i.e. keeping them engaged).
7) You were able to have enough depth at each position that injuries did not slow you down.
8) You were able to win your games by a wide margin and never had to live and die by the last second FG (never count on luck).
9) You were able to keep the fans and more importantly the big donors happy, happy, happy.

I live here in Houston and know quite a few UH grads from engineering and they are very freaking happy right now. UH is not exactly a "destination" school. I'm impressed with what he has done these last few years and have enjoyed watching their success. In a city of 4 million plus, he has the attention of most and has spread UH fever everywhere and he has not done it with billboards and mud slinging.

I'm not saying the man should or should not be our coach, just stating what I have witnessed here in Htown lately.
"I'm a solid verbal."

- Prospect name here
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

cajunrebel wrote:
I see what you are saying as far as strength of competition but here is what I think.

Undefeated in any conference in college football means to me (even CUSA):

1) You were able to out recruit everybody else in your tier and get the top available talent to your school.
2) You were able to assemble a competent staff that was able to convey your orders and teach up the recruits at their skilled position.
3) You were able to work with the administration towards a common goal. (We all know how that has worked for us)
4) You were able to keep the kids focused for 18 to 20 weeks on the main task - winning football games.
5) You were able to keep your players in line and out of trouble.
6) You were able to get your players to buy into what you are selling (i.e. keeping them engaged).
7) You were able to have enough depth at each position that injuries did not slow you down.
8) You were able to win your games by a wide margin and never had to live and die by the last second FG (never count on luck).
9) You were able to keep the fans and more importantly the big donors happy, happy, happy.

I live here in Houston and know quite a few UH grads from engineering and they are very freaking happy right now. UH is not exactly a "destination" school. I'm impressed with what he has done these last few years and have enjoyed watching their success. In a city of 4 million plus, he has the attention of most and has spread UH fever everywhere and he has not done it with billboards and mud slinging.

I'm not saying the man should or should not be our coach, just stating what I have witnessed here in Htown lately.
What he said....the most complete team I have seen all year....now of course having said that, watch 'em lay an egg against USM 8)
CMB
2nd String
2nd String

It just strikes me as odd that when I will be watching the Houston-USM game, Ill be thinking.....both of these coaches have been mentioned for our new coach.....
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

After what happened last time, I don't want anybody named Houston, from Houston, sounds like Houston, or has ever lived in Houston. If I ever hear the word "Houston" again, it will be too soon!

That's just a Nutty word.
OMNOB 1A
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

proud2breb wrote:
After what happened last time, I don't want anybody named Houston, from Houston, sounds like Houston, or has ever lived in Houston. If I ever hear the word "Houston" again, it will be too soon!

Amen. Please no Sumlin. Please, please, and in addition, please.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

OMNOB 1A wrote:
proud2breb wrote:

Amen. Please no Sumlin. Please, please, and in addition, please.
We are not getting him. Someone with more foresight and patience will. But exactly what is it you don't like about him? Just curious have you even seen his team play? I have seen where you lump his offense in with rich rod's which leads me to believe you haven't seen them play. Just curious.
Rebel PT2
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Can someone remind me how Houston looked lastyear after QB was injured? I still have a feeling Sumlin is riding the wave of a successful QB, rather than being the coach, everyone thinks he is. I know Hud is out, but at least we see North Alabama and ULL as two programs, completely changed. He has a body of work, rather than a good year with a good QB. By the way, they were horrible lastyear after the noted qb injury. ????
"I'm not an athlete. I'm a professional baseball player."
-John Kruk
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rebchuck18 wrote: What he said....the most complete team I have seen all year....now of course having said that, watch 'em lay an egg against USM 8)

I doubt it. I don't think anybody will let that happen. From what I understand, if usm wins against houston then usm will get $550,000 but if houston wins and goes on to a bcs game each school in cusa will get near $1,000,000.
CMB
2nd String
2nd String

Are you saying that USM/Fedora may be up for throwing the game so each school can get the bigger check? If that's the case and has even been a thought then I sure as hell don't want Fedora!
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

CMB wrote:Are you saying that USM/Fedora may be up for throwing the game so each school can get the bigger check? If that's the case and has even been a thought then I sure as hell don't want Fedora!
I think maybe he is implying that the conference (i.e. game officials) won't let that happen. I don't think USM wins either but only because I think Houston is the more complete team.
CMB
2nd String
2nd String

Rebchuck18 wrote:
CMB wrote:Are you saying that USM/Fedora may be up for throwing the game so each school can get the bigger check? If that's the case and has even been a thought then I sure as hell don't want Fedora!
I think maybe he is implying that the conference (i.e. game officials) won't let that happen. I don't think USM wins either but only because I think Houston is the more complete team.
Ahh..hopefully. Making more sense now! I don't think Houston will need the officials help to win - not saying it will be an easy win, just depends on which USM team shows up but either way I think Houston pulls it out....