ESPN's beat writer likes Hugh Feeze

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

mpzreb17
All SEC
All SEC

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/38723/38723
This week marked a special time in Hugh Freeze’s life.

And it had nothing to do with player evaluations, recruiting or clocking 40 times.

This was the first time Ole Miss’ new head coach actually got to see what organization looked like in his office. Gone were the boxes that littered his floors and the loose papers that cluttered his desk.

There is some sort of balance in his workspace, but there are still voice mails and emails that haven’t been returned. It’s not that he’s dismissed them; he just hasn’t had time to respond.

“I really don’t have everything in order yet,” Freeze said.

Yet, he’s happy to see some sort of sanity return. Since Freeze was announced as Ole Miss’ 37th head coach on Dec. 5, he’s had one team meeting and a whole lot of recruiting on his mind.

Freeze, who returns to Ole Miss after spending three years on Ed Orgeron’s staff, has barely moved into Danny Nutt’s (Houston Nutt’s brother) old house because he had to build relationships with committed and uncommitted prospects with less than two months until national signing day. And he had to do so at a program that had endured two straight seasons in the SEC’s cellar, winning just six games and dropping 14 straight league games, including three straight to archrival Mississippi State.

Ole Miss’ longer winter break also meant that he only had one official visit weekend in which students would be on campus -- the final one.

“As you know, Oxford is a different place when the kids are here,” Freeze said.

It is, and Freeze worried that prospects wouldn’t be able to really digest the Ole Miss experience without them.

But on national signing day, Freeze finished off his class of 18 with a pretty successful turnout. Freeze signed a solid defensive foundation in four-star defensive linemen Issac Gross, Channing Ward and safety Trae Elston.

Though Freeze suffered tough losses, including local star Jeremy Liggins, who signed with LSU, he saved six initial scholarships that can be counted back next year and he thinks he signed “quality kids who really want to be at Ole Miss.”

Now, he has to make sure he has those players on his current roster. Freeze isn’t pointing fingers, but he knows that discipline is an issue at Ole Miss. The mindset isn’t toxic, but it isn’t great.

Freeze is well aware of the off-field incidents and the questionable heart this team showed on the field last season. Therefore, he’s calling for an overhaul. Things will change mentally and physically for these players.

“It is requiring them to get out of their comfort zone and change what they’re used to,” Freeze said.

Freeze’s situation at Ole Miss is similar to the one he had at Arkansas State. During his one season as ASU’s head coach last year, he had players who had never had a winning season. Expunging the losing attitudes was step 1.

Step 2 was developing the talent at a faster, more efficient rate. Freeze created a well-disciplined team that won the Sun Belt after getting 10 wins for the first time since 1986. Freeze earned Sun Belt Coach of the Year, while 13 of his players earned all-league honors.

Can that overnight success be duplicated in Oxford? Freeze isn’t expecting such a dramatic turnaround, but he does anticipate immediate improvement. He won’t settle for mediocrity. He didn’t return just for Ajax Diner’s veggies smothered in bacon and grease or the flawlessly battered catfish at Taylor Grocery.

He came home to win ball games and change the culture of Ole Miss football. He knows the offensive line wasn’t recruited for a more “power-type offense” and that youth ran the 2011 team.

But he also knows that he has the pieces in place to run his high-octane, spread offense. There are dual-threat quarterbacks galore, including Bo Wallace, who at one time was an ASU signee, and the Rebels have quality speed at the skill positions.

Freeze doesn’t view Ole Miss’ program as bleak, and while the Rebels spent 2011 at the bottom of the SEC pile, with time, Freeze believes he can get this program to rebound.

“I do believe with all my heart that we’ll get back to being competitive and hopefully we’ll do it sooner rather than later, but I’ve got to preach to myself patience,” he said. “I’m not a very patient guy, but I’ve got to be patient with these guys. Hopefully, there’s a large percentage of the team that wants to change the way things are and we can get them to buy in. Hopefully, the ones who are on the fence can buy in with us.”

Still, inconsistency has thrived at Ole Miss. There’s the idea that Freeze isn’t experienced enough. There’s the fact that the Rebels haven’t been to the SEC championship game and have won 10 games just once since 1971.

The Rebels have ways to go before they'll really compete in the SEC, but Freeze hopes he can shake the stigma that it's preposterous to win at Ole Miss.

“I embrace that. I don’t run from it and we acknowledge it,” he said. “I obviously think it can be done or I would have taken one of those other jobs that I had. I do think it’s going to take all of our efforts and us being of one mind, one accord on the same page with our fan base and our staff, and us changing the way we think of ourselves.

“It’ll take time.”
I am sold. :roll:
Last edited by mpzreb17 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
We Are Ole Miss
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

With all due respect and not trying to flame but I read nothing in that article that "sold" me. As a matter of fact I read some poor mouthing and a little bit of excuse making in it. Don't want to hear any more comparisons to Arkansas State or talk of how much time it is going to take. He is inheriting some good players and we hired him because he has won at every level. As much as he is getting paid he needs to win here and soon. I think his contract is structured poorly and doesn't hold him accountable enough. The notion that going 2-6 in conference gets him a $200,000 bonus is preposterous. I just get more vibes of lowering the bar of what is expected.

And btw what "other job that he had" is he talking about? Who else was offering him a job?
mpzreb17
All SEC
All SEC

Rebchuck18 wrote:With all due respect and not trying to flame but I read nothing in that article that "sold" me. As a matter of fact I read some poor mouthing and a little bit of excuse making in it. Don't want to hear any more comparisons to Arkansas State or talk of how much time it is going to take. He is inheriting some good players and we hired him because he has won at every level. As much as he is getting paid he needs to win here and soon. I think his contract is structured poorly and doesn't hold him accountable enough. The notion that going 2-6 in conference gets him a $200,000 bonus is preposterous. I just get more vibes of lowering the bar of what is expected.

And btw what "other job that he had" is he talking about? Who else was offering him a job?
Sorry, I forgot to put the :roll: after "sold." edited it for correction. Was in a hurry when I posted it.

But I like that they're trying to give us positive coverage. However, thanks to the lip service they've given the recruiting class and coach, I am now prepared to make this statement:

The only way Who Freeze is going to sell me on anything is if he comes out with 3 straight SEC wins and only loses the ones we're "supposed to lose." After that, I want him to start winning those games. Until then it's all speculation.
We Are Ole Miss
cacreb2000
3rd String
3rd String

Well at least he's not talking all the BS we have heard for the last 7 years. It is at least realistic talk instead of saying what everyone wants to hear. I for one am sick of all the coach talk.
HOTTY TODDY!!!
GO REBELS!!!
deltarebel26
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

I agree with all of the above.. to an extent. This team must have some quality wins this year and some SEC wins. But with the state of this team paired with the dominance of the league I wont call less than 2 league wins a fail. This team looked awful last year. They looked like boys playing with men. Im looking for at least 6 wins but more so im looking for competitiveness. Like the guys belong on the same field as the other team. Like our players "get it."-- I just think Freeze has a lot more ground to gain than people are recognizing. With that being said, with our talent currently on the roster and a year in freezes system.. I expect a mid to upper level bowl by 2013. Already ready for 2the a day news. Hotty Toddy
BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

With all that happened the last four years, I am wondering if the party-have-a-good-time mixture that is Ole Miss didn't have an effect on Nutt and his staff. Shouldn't have, obviously. But you guys know O-Town and Ole Miss. When it's good, you tend to relax a little too much here. Not that that's a bad thing, it's part of what makes Oxford so attractive, like the metaphor I've used before about Oxford being an oasis in the middle of North Mississippi.
But it seems to me Nutt had fire when he arrived, then became complacent, satisfied, and didn't approach things the way he needed to as the leader of an SEC program. Thus, the slip. Perhaps he was quagmired in the easy life afforded the well-to-do in a town that caters to the same. (Not making excuses for him, of course.) But Oxford IS unique. Maybe that's part of the problem?
So I guess what I'm asking is, will the same happen to CHF? He's gotta prove his worth first. But then, when/if he does, will he be able to keep the competitive ego going or will he slip into the catotonic coma of living the "high-life" in Oxford? It would be easy to do here. It's Oxford. No excuse for it, but it kind of is the way of life here. Get settled in, and then you can relax.
Comments? (Have no idea what reaction this will get...)
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Nutt's ONLY accomplishment was during his first yr. in transitioning the losing mind set into a winning one leading to the CB. The 2nd yr was a faded uninspiring cloned yr of the first one, that settled for another CB when we had BCS bowl talent, or even a SECWC. 3rd yr. disaster. 4th yr. ruinous.

He did nothing to warrant a 'coasting on success' lifestyle. he didn't know how to resurrect a program that has been lost in the wilderness for 50 yrs. He was a band-aid and you can't cure cancer with a band-aid.

My take - CHF knew this and still took the job. That takes some courage. Can he do it? IDK, but he is and will continue to work and to try which beats the #### out of the last guy and all of the others that did not have the guts to cross the state line.
As to complaining about his $$$$ - no self respecting SEC fan base would even consider paying their new/wetbehindtheears HC at level NOT in keeping with the SEC standard. But keep flinging those same old spit balls and rolling in that same putrid mud pit. :roll: :oops: :roll:
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

cacreb2000 wrote:Well at least he's not talking all the BS we have heard for the last 7 years. It is at least realistic talk instead of saying what everyone wants to hear. I for one am sick of all the coach talk.
Yep. Freeze sounds very similar to Franklin at Vandy before coaching a single game. That's good enough for me right now. If he does not IMPROVE our team like Frankin did/is doing at Vandy, then I'm not going to be happy. At all.
L. S. WHO?
1OLEMISSREBEL
All American
All American

cacreb2000 wrote:Well at least he's not talking all the BS we have heard for the last 7 years. It is at least realistic talk instead of saying what everyone wants to hear. I for one am sick of all the coach talk.

As I have said before in another article regarding recruiting, I appreciate his honesty. I do not think he is making excuses, I think he is just telling it like it is. We all know we have a long long way to go!!
Even a bad day as a Rebel is better than a good day with the dawgs!!!!
BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

?
Bleu, you know I love you. Just not sure what I said wrong? Don't mind that you disagree, but I really don't think you got the jest of what I was saying. I was in no way downgrading or belittling the program. I was just making an observation that Oxford offers an easy life style. Which could affect a coaches mentality. And wondering if maybe that is part of our problem.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

BobReb wrote:?
Bleu, you know I love you. Just not sure what I said wrong? Don't mind that you disagree, but I really don't think you got the jest of what I was saying. I was in no way downgrading or belittling the program. I was just making an observation that Oxford offers an easy life style. Which could affect a coaches mentality. And wondering if maybe that is part of our problem.
I'm pretty sure those comments were aimed at RebChuck.

I agree with Chuck, though. You pay them what they are worth, not b/c you got to keep up with the Joneses. If we wanted to keep up with the Joneses, we could've made a higher profile hire.

We went with a little known coach with little experience and gave him ridiculous raise. Have any of you ever received a 700% raise? I don't disagree with the incentive based salary bonuses. But I do disagree with the 100k per SEC win. Like Chuck said, 2-6 SEC record nets him 200k. It should've been more like, get to .500 and you get 400/500 bonus. After that maybe a per win bonus.
Some Random Dude
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

And I don't think he was making excuses in that article. I think he was telling it like it is.

One thing is for sure, I think in order for us to be competitive at all this year, Freeze and staff are gonna have to be very good coaches. I don't think we're gonna go bowling, but I do think we'll find out how good at coaching they are.
Some Random Dude
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

BobReb wrote:?
Sorry BobReb, you posed a good ?, I was responding to the all consuming negative not to your question.

In answer to your ? - this may have played a part in Nutt's dismal tenure and Cut's last year, but I don't see it as the overall problem. Any coach who is interested in having a successful career in the SEC and considers OM has to know our track record in modern times is horrible. One defunct coach after another with a lot of losing seasons mixed with a lot of mediocre seasons and no sustained success for the football program since CV. All of which indicates a lot of very hard work and many more long days and nights will be required to turn things around to any degree. IMO the answer is we have the wrong peeps hiring the wrong peeps most of the time. Hopefully the new AD will be able to change this.
BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

Understood. My day off, and had just woken up > delirious. I'm following you guys... ummm... gals. Sorry again. Lost my chain of thought. Had to go warm some milk for Iris. Where was I?
Complacency. I'm telling you, there couldn't be an easier town to find yourself in this mode of being in all of Mississippi than here.
That said, I'm not totally disappointed with our first class. Considering the circumstances, (and us not being UA,GA,FL,) (left lswho out intentionally) he didn't do bad, just not great. Hoping that will change with a year under his belt. And hoping to see some spark and enthusiasm in the players and coaching. Improvement. No more dark ages. Productivity is the only answer to the situation we are in. Win or lose, play better. Play harder. Care. Want. Need. Desire.
Tell me how else you-know-who and his teammates won the SB?
NOBODY expected them to be there in the first place. But heart, courage, guts, determination can change a 9-7 team into a SB Champ. And that's all the guys. It wasn't Eli. It was all the guys. They decided to turn it on, and did.
That's what I'm hoping to see. No, not a Championship. But a step towards believing it can happen.
And the guys buying in and turning it on. Play ball. Do that, and who knows?
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

BobReb wrote:Understood. My day off, and had just woken up > delirious. I'm following you guys... ummm... gals. Sorry again. Lost my chain of thought. Had to go warm some milk for Iris. Where was I?
Complacency. I'm telling you, there couldn't be an easier town to find yourself in this mode of being in all of Mississippi than here.
That said, I'm not totally disappointed with our first class. Considering the circumstances, (and us not being UA,GA,FL,) (left lswho out intentionally) he didn't do bad, just not great. Hoping that will change with a year under his belt. And hoping to see some spark and enthusiasm in the players and coaching. Improvement. No more dark ages. Productivity is the only answer to the situation we are in. Win or lose, play better. Play harder. Care. Want. Need. Desire.
Tell me how else you-know-who and his teammates won the SB?
NOBODY expected them to be there in the first place. But heart, courage, guts, determination can change a 9-7 team into a SB Champ. And that's all the guys. It wasn't Eli. It was all the guys. They decided to turn it on, and did.
That's what I'm hoping to see. No, not a Championship. But a step towards believing it can happen.
And the guys buying in and turning it on. Play ball. Do that, and who knows?
ITA or as NYG say "All In"
On the productive side they really like their new SC coach even with those 530a workouts, a good sign I think (major effort for me to open my eyes at that time)