Wahl says Rebels are potent on offense

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Earlier this week Ole Miss outfielder Tanner Mathis and DH Matt Snyder couldn't find enough words to emphasize and describe the improvement they believe the Rebels will make on offense this year.

Sophomore pitcher Bobby Wahl, whose job has been to get them out, is in complete agreement.

“I'm just really happy I don't have to face these guys any more, quite honestly. These guys have been working really hard, and coach Godwin's been doing a great job. Just coming out every day and facing the guys like Tanner Mathis, Matt Snyder, Will Allen, Preston Overbey, all those guys. It's huge to be able to get that work in as a pitcher, taking that 1-9 lineup. You have to focus really hard. I personally don't think there are many teams who can hit and run like we do,” he said.

Wahl said it was difficult in fall and earlier this winter to get his teammates out. Pitching against them has been part of his development as a pitcher.

“It can get frustrating. You have to stay within yourself, continue to make pitches and hopefully once in a while they're going to get out. Those guys are unreal, they really are. They've been working extremely hard, and I've been proud to be a part of this and watch how hard they've been working.

"Tanner's hard to get out. He fouls everytyhing off, everything. You make a good pitch, a fastball inside, and the next thing you know it's up in the stands. Matt's been hitting really well this spring. I think he's got three bombs, and one of them is off me. Being his roommate it's tough to live down.”

Others have stood out to Wahl as well, particularly one of the newcomers.

“One through nine, they've all stood out. Freshman Auston Bousfield, you can't throw anything by him, you can't fool him with a breaking ball. Then guys like Alex Yarbrough, just everybody one through nine has stood out to me,” he said.

It takes a lot of pressure off a pitcher to know your teammates have wheels and can get around the bases and score runs for you. The Rebels were 11th in the SEC last year with 304 runs scored. Only Tennessee, with 260, scored fewer.

Speed could make a difference this year.

“Zach Kirksey is a physical specimen. He runs like a sub-6.5, which is unreal. Just watching him run as big as he is (6-2, 217) and with power from the left side of the plate, then guys like Senquez Golson and Will Jamison who are burners. When they do their 60 times it's unbelievable to watch how fast those guys can go,” Wahl said.

http://www.djournal.com/pages/insideole ... ce=olemiss
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food