Patriots rookie running back Brandon Bolden is ready to make

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Patriots rookie running back Brandon Bolden is ready to make his own mark

Brandon Bolden has heard the comparisons. He just doesn't agree with them.

A power running back entering the league as an undrafted free agent out of Ole Miss, Bolden is entering the league under almost the exact circumstances that BenJarvus Green-Ellis did when he signed with the New England Patriots in 2008.

Bolden doesn't see it that way. He's his own man and believes that some of the dots that are being connected are sweeping outside of the lines.

"I haven't paid much attention (to the comparisons)," Bolden said prior to the start of rookie minicamp Friday at Gillette Stadium. "Ben did what he did because that's what he does. Now I'm coming in and trying to make it."

A talented runner, Bolden was climbing up draft boards after a junior season in which he accounted for 1,320 all purpose yards and 17 touchdowns, but a slight fracture in his ankle suffered in the season opener limited him to 472 rushing yards and four touchdowns as a senior.

Considered an excellent blocker, the 5-foot-11, 222-pounder played through the pain, but fell completely out of the draft. He said he is still working to become fully healthy.

"I'm just getting back to it, I don't feel as if I'm there quite yet," Bolden said. "I just got here, still working on it."

Along with the 4.49-second time he posted in the 20-yard shuttle at the combine, one of the worst marks amongst running backs, Bolden's fall can also be attributed to him being labeled as having questionable character.

The grandson of Frank Pitts, a 10-year receiver for the Chiefs, Browns and Raiders, Bolden was suspended for one game last season due to skipping a practice prior to playing Alabama and many scouts feel that he lacks maturity, leading to questions about his commitment to the game.

"Just come investigate it. Just watch me," Bolden, a captain at Ole Miss, said when asked about those allegations. "Pretty much I don't have an answer for that."

The Patriots were one team that saw value in him as an undrafted player. Several teams contacted him after the draft, but he decided on New England after hearing good things about owner Robert Kraft and coach Bill Belichick.

With Green-Ellis now in Cincinnati, he also sees a situation where there isn't a veteran presence locked into a spot and believes that he has a chance to carve out some touches in a backfield that contains Shane Vereen, Stevan Ridley, Joseph Addai and Danny Woodhead.

"It's a lot of young guys and everyone is trying to prove the same point. Why not throw my two cents in as well?" Bolden said. "I'm here to make them better, push them as well as they're going to push me."

Some might also assume that he has a chip after being snubbed in the draft, but Bolden says that isn't true.

He did sit by his phone throughout the whole process, but wasn't impacted one way or another when seventh round concluded and his name remained uncalled.

"Really wasn't no stellar emotion," Bolden said. "Just a sigh of relief that it was over."

Relief?

"That the entire draft process was over," he added. "Getting drafted or undrafted really didn't matter, I just wanted to play football."

Now he is free to simply do that.

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2012/ ... ack_b.html
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food