Put the UGA loss in the rearview

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

beachbumreb
2nd String
2nd String

Well, now that I've slept on it, that was still our second worst loss off the season behind TX. We played them hard for the first half, but came out flat in the second. Mental errors really cost us. Like Coach Wommack talked about, those two blown plays in the first half were unacceptable, they changed the momentum and makeup of the entire game. And it seemed that allowing the td right before the half really took the wind out of some players. The second half we got outplayed. However, the game is over, worrying about what ifs is pointless and distracting, so moving on!

I don't think I posted my expectations for our season, but I really figured five wins is all we could hope, and that included a win against Vandy! I did not even want to allow myself to hope for a bowl, I thought that would build unwarranted expectations, and expectations are just pre-meditated resentments for me, so I try and keep them realistic. That being said, I fully expect for our team to be bowl eligible after the Vandy game. It'll be a dogfight, but we'll put em away in the end!

I cannot express how impressed I am with our coachin staff. Watching the post game interviews, they owned their mistakes, and refused to put the blame on any specific players. If there were player mistakes, they acknowledged it goes back to coaching. I know those players will catch hell in private tho, which is how it should be. I especially liked coach Wommacks response when asked about whether the players would allow this loss to carry over to next week. He said in effect "most will not, some will, but we're not going to win with those players anyway." I love that they recognize that and are realistic. Such a breath of fresh air compared to the last HC!

Bo did not do terrible, although he did revert to staring down his receivers again! But his decision making was mostly good, excepting under throwing the receiver (Logan?) for that pick. I he put enough on that it's a td. But he owned that after the game too. Props to him for that. I really think that Nutt deserved every bit of his reputation as a qb killer. If Wallace can continue to improve, that will speak volumes about this staffs ability to develop qbs. I really hope we get our running game back on track. Maybe ge Walton and Mathers more involved.

This season is already a success in my book, anything else the rest of the way is just gonna be gravy!

That's just my looooong .02
Forward Rebels!
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

I think that since we already have 5 wins at this point in the season, if we fail to get one more it will be a failure. We STILL have more talent then Vandy and I refuse to allow myself to be bothered by anything vanderbilt.
RebnPhilly
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

beachbumreb wrote:Maybe get Walton and Mathers more involved.
If I had a biggest gripe so for this season, this would be it. Everyone wants to compare Scott to McCluster but we must remember that McCluster had other backs to help carry some of the load. It seems to me we are trying to use Scott as a power back, a scat back, a flanker, a blocker, etc. I trust our coaching staff and what they are doing but this is a little perplexing.
mpzreb17
All SEC
All SEC

jreb, i dont understand why you would consider a rebuilding season a failure if we dont get one more win. We have more wins this year at 5 than the past 2 combined. You can't make a bowl team out of nothing.

That said, I expect Vanderbilt to be either a close heartbreak of a loss, or a close win. I expect LSU to destroy us, but I think we can squeak past State if all else fails. State is not a bad team this year, I hate to say. They will lose to LSU. They may win after that. But when it comes to the Egg Bowl, they will be no write off.
We Are Ole Miss
1OLEMISSREBEL
All American
All American

mpzreb17 wrote:jreb, i dont understand why you would consider a rebuilding season a failure if we dont get one more win. We have more wins this year at 5 than the past 2 combined. You can't make a bowl team out of nothing.

That said, I expect Vanderbilt to be either a close heartbreak of a loss, or a close win. I expect LSU to destroy us, but I think we can squeak past State if all else fails. State is not a bad team this year, I hate to say. They will lose to LSU. They may win after that. But when it comes to the Egg Bowl, they will be no write off.

I agree, we must play our best games for the games remaining to get a win! That being said, Our team has made great improvements this year. I will not conisder this year a failure even if we do not get at least one more win.
Even a bad day as a Rebel is better than a good day with the dawgs!!!!
batman50
3rd String
3rd String

mpzreb17 wrote:jreb, i dont understand why you would consider a rebuilding season a failure if we dont get one more win. We have more wins this year at 5 than the past 2 combined. You can't make a bowl team out of nothing.

No, the past 2 seasons combines makes 6 wins total. 5 isn't more than 6, not even in starkville lol.

Knew we were gonna lose to uga (that makes 10 straight losses to them I believe), but we will beat Vandy and State, and play lsux CLOSE. We end the season with 7 wins, nothing failure about that!
Memphis Jack
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Hope your analysis is spot on! That would exceed my expectations for this year for all the reasons mentioned above.