Opening lines

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

We open as a 2.5 favorite. I think that line is about right.
LSU is a 17 point favorite over Stank.
Alabama is a 15.5 favorite over A&M.
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

3 now
AlmostForgotten
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Banging the nervous drum for this one.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I said it at the beginning of the year and still honestly believe this game will tell us more than any game this season. The five games we have won were against teams with lesser talent (Central Arky, UTEP, Tulane, Auburn) and a team in free fall (Arky)... nonetheless Coach Freeze and the boys won them...and winning the games you should win is the first step in rebuilding a program. Bama, Georgia and Texas just flat out had more talent than us. A&M....well we will just let that dog stay asleep under the porch.

Coach Freeze has brought a new mindset, a new work ethic, a new discipline and a new excitement to the program. But this game IMO will be the best barometer of his game day COACHING. He is going up against another good young coach with more time in the saddle but less talent than Ole Miss but coming off a huge win. That to me makes this an almost even game that will be won by the best coached and prepared team. Yea we are banged up in the secondary but Vandy's pass offense is ranked like 86th in the nation and only Missouri and Auburn have fewer TD passes than Vandy in the league.

We got a huge blessing with what happened to Auburn and Arky this year and Coach Freeze and the boys capitalizing on that blessing has put us in position to achieve what most thought impossible, post season play. But we have to earn that 6th victory. Vandy is not in free fall and they will not lay down. They will be prepared to play us as they almost always are.

I will not post before during or after the game but rest assured I will be agonizing and/or rejoicing every moment of the game like all of you as I do every Saturday. I can not wait to watch this one. Biggest game of this young coach's early career and one of the most pivotal games for us in a long long time.

In my personal opinion we will rise to the occasion and Coach Freeze will win the coaching battle and Ole Miss will win the game and go bowling. This is one of those moments...hope we seize it!
Last edited by Rebchuck18 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Memphis Jack
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Nice post, Chuck. We see the situation the same way.

Jack
ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

3 pts on odds is for home-field entirely.....they see this game as a pick 'em. Trust me, it IS a pick 'em.
OMNOB 1A
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Rebchuck18 wrote:I said it at the beginning of the year and still honestly believe this game will tell us more than any game this season. The five games we have won were against teams with lesser talent (Central Arky, UTEP, Tulane, Auburn) and a team in free fall (Arky)... nonetheless Coach Freeze and the boys won them...and winning the games you should win is the first step in rebuilding a program. Bama, Georgia and Texas just flat out had more talent than us. A&M....well we will just let that dog stay asleep under the porch.

Coach Freeze has brought a new mindset, a new work ethic, a new discipline and a new excitement to the program. But this game IMO will be the best barometer of his game day COACHING. He is going up against another good young coach with more time in the saddle but less talent than Ole Miss but coming off a huge win. That to me makes this an almost even game that will be won by the best coached and prepared team. Yea we are banged up in the secondary but Vandy's pass offense is ranked like 86th in the nation and only Missouri and Auburn have fewer TD passes than Vandy in the league.

We got a huge blessing with what happened to Auburn and Arky this year and Coach Freeze and the boys capitalizing on that blessing has put us in position to achieve what most thought impossible, post season play. But we have to earn that 6th victory. Vandy is not in free fall and they will not lay down. They will be prepared to play us as they almost always are.

I will not post before during or after the game but rest assured I will be agonizing and/or rejoicing every moment of the game like all of you as I do every Saturday. I can not wait to watch this one. Biggest game of this young coach's early career and one of the most pivotal games for us in a long long time.

In my personal opinion we will rise to the occasion and Coach Freeze will win the coaching battle and Ole Miss will win the game and go bowling. This is one of those moments...hope we seize it!
I concur with the above, great post.

I would say though that I have a little trouble saying that a game with Vanderbilt is the most pivotal game that we have had "in a long, long time". It was only three years ago that a number 4 ranked Ole Miss played South Carolina on National television on a stage all their own. That said, I am quite sure a few Rebel fans would like to purge that from their memories and the phrase "long, long time" could be considered relative, but I just don't think as a fan base we don't need to get too ahead of ourselves, all things considered.

This is the first time in two years we have a viable reason to be excited, but http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/81958481/

Also, Bama by 15.5? I don't know about that one....A&M looks pretty darn fine. I wouldn't pick them to win, but, I'd take them and the points. Jus sayin.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

OMNOB 1A wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:I said it at the beginning of the year and still honestly believe this game will tell us more than any game this season. The five games we have won were against teams with lesser talent (Central Arky, UTEP, Tulane, Auburn) and a team in free fall (Arky)... nonetheless Coach Freeze and the boys won them...and winning the games you should win is the first step in rebuilding a program. Bama, Georgia and Texas just flat out had more talent than us. A&M....well we will just let that dog stay asleep under the porch.

I concur with the above, great post.

I would say though that I have a little trouble saying that a game with Vanderbilt is the most pivotal game that we have had "in a long, long time". It was only three years ago that a number 4 ranked Ole Miss played South Carolina on National television on a stage all their own. That said, I am quite sure a few Rebel fans would like to purge that from their memories and the phrase "long, long time" could be considered relative, but I just don't think as a fan base we don't need to get too ahead of ourselves, all things considered.

This is the first time in two years we have a viable reason to be excited, but http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/81958481/

Also, Bama by 15.5? I don't know about that one....A&M looks pretty darn fine. I wouldn't pick them to win, but, I'd take them and the points. Jus sayin.
Point taken...but two and a half years is a long long time when you have been watching losing football!!
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

I will be watching, however. I did read on one of Vandy's boards that it has been like oh, forever, since Vandy has won three road games in the SEC. This is certainly not the Vandy of 1950-2000. I think their most impressive win has been at Missouri. There are three teams in the East below them. So both teams are currently middle of the pack SEC.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I would agree with most of these posts, except people thinking there is a huge talent gap... I think these teams are evenly matched talent wise with Vandy having more experience...
mpzreb17
All SEC
All SEC

I did this the ass hole way and took 10 on Vandy on the moneyline and 15 on us. I didn't want to drop big money on this one either way so I figured I'd have a little fun.
We Are Ole Miss