Tweeterville on CHF

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken
I've heard way more praise for Hugh Freeze in the last three weeks than the coach who has won three of the last four national titles.
cajunrebel

bleuwolfe wrote:
Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken
I've heard way more praise for Hugh Freeze in the last three weeks than the coach who has won three of the last four national titles.

Archie and crew knew what they were doing apparently. Coaching aside, it seems that HF is a good man and one that most other men should aspire to be.
"I'm a solid verbal."

- Prospect name here
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Freeze has the potential to be a coaching version of Elvis or Willie or BBKing. Very modest beginnings, many doubters, grows into a coaching folk hero. Not predicting it, but not betting against it right now.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebelliousb wrote:Freeze has the potential to be a coaching version of Elvis or Willie or BBKing. Very modest beginnings, many doubters, grows into a coaching folk hero. Not predicting it, but not betting against it right now.
It is very possible and I will ALWAYS admit when I am wrong. I am leaning that way. I need to see him close this amazing opportunity in recruiting and more importantly I need to see if he continues coaching like the Coach he was in the Egg Bowl and Compass Bowl as opposed to the A&M and Vandy game. Because all the great feelings and all the great press and all the other good vibes still won't make him as successful as even Nutt until he gets us to two games at least of the stature of the Cotton Bowl.

I BELIEVE he will get us there...especially if he closes on this recruiting class....and I will give him and his staff all the credit if he closes because even though the stars aligned to give him shots at guys like RN and LT...he will have seized the opportunity and run with it.

I am very happy about where we are right now....but I will withhold proclaiming Archie as a genius (which NEVER sucks for me) until I see how he actually pulls it all together on the field. But I believe that right now untempered enthusiasm is warranted.

I think if you rated the off season hires right now you would have to say Sumlin was number one and Freeze was a very close second...but I think in the long run (actually maybe in the short run) Sumlin will be NFL bound and Freeze will still be here. So it is looking like I was wrong....I hope and pray that will still be the case come January of next year and in Januarys to come.

The fact that he is a good man and a class act means almost as much to me as the on the field success. But I have given him that from day one.
RebnPhilly
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Rebchuck18 wrote:...but I think in the long run (actually maybe in the short run) Sumlin will be NFL bound ...
We were just talking about that exact situation the other day. I believe Sumlin will ride Johnny Football's coattails to an NFL head coaching job. Especially after the last round of NFL head coaching hires did not include any minorities.

Not sure if Sumlin's up for that job though. Manziel's play this past year could have made even Nutt look like a NFL-caliber coach.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

RebnPhilly wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:...but I think in the long run (actually maybe in the short run) Sumlin will be NFL bound ...
We were just talking about that exact situation the other day. I believe Sumlin will ride Johnny Football's coattails to an NFL head coaching job. Especially after the last round of NFL head coaching hires did not include any minorities.

Not sure if Sumlin's up for that job though. Manziel's play this past year could have made even Nutt look like a NFL-caliber coach.
I think Sumlin is the real deal...it was his and Kingsbury schemes and, from what I hear around here, EXTREME coaching in the Spring and Summer, that helped push the kid. Nutt probably would have benched him instead of developing him and tried to find a fifth year QB from another program. 8-)
OMNOB 1A
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Rebchuck18 wrote:
rebelliousb wrote:Freeze has the potential to be a coaching version of Elvis or Willie or BBKing. Very modest beginnings, many doubters, grows into a coaching folk hero. Not predicting it, but not betting against it right now.
It is very possible and I will ALWAYS admit when I am wrong. I am leaning that way. I need to see him close this amazing opportunity in recruiting and more importantly I need to see if he continues coaching like the Coach he was in the Egg Bowl and Compass Bowl as opposed to the A&M and Vandy game. Because all the great feelings and all the great press and all the other good vibes still won't make him as successful as even Nutt until he gets us to two games at least of the stature of the Cotton Bowl.

I BELIEVE he will get us there...especially if he closes on this recruiting class....and I will give him and his staff all the credit if he closes because even though the stars aligned to give him shots at guys like RN and LT...he will have seized the opportunity and run with it.

I am very happy about where we are right now....but I will withhold proclaiming Archie as a genius (which NEVER sucks for me) until I see how he actually pulls it all together on the field. But I believe that right now untempered enthusiasm is warranted.

I think if you rated the off season hires right now you would have to say Sumlin was number one and Freeze was a very close second...but I think in the long run (actually maybe in the short run) Sumlin will be NFL bound and Freeze will still be here. So it is looking like I was wrong....I hope and pray that will still be the case come January of next year and in Januarys to come.

The fact that he is a good man and a class act means almost as much to me as the on the field success. But I have given him that from day one.
Agreed Chuck, but it wouldn't be me if I didn't add one small caveat.

I think Sumlin and Freeze are pretty much equal, tied for that number one placement. Sumlin took an A&M team that wasn't coming off of a disastrous season the year before he got them to a higher level, while Freeze took a pretty broken-but not devoid of talent-team to a winning record. Sumlin also had a Heisman winner at QB while (and I know you really like him) we had a QB that gave the defense almost as many gifts as he gave his own offense scores. Sumlin was wildly more successful, but the job(s) done look fairly equal to me.

Also, I am not so sure Sumlin is NFL bound. His brand of offense, as well as Freeze's is now on notice and will be judged by Chip Kelly's success or failure.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I think there is a hairline difference in the jobs done. But results matter and while nobody expected us to win 7 even fewer expected A&M to do what they did. Got no problem calling it even (especially by the end of the year) but think sumlins on the field coaching was good from day one and freeze took several games to come up with that game day coaching to match his other strengths.

But my whole point is that I think freeze will get us there and the last two games of the year were in my view BRILLIANTLY coached. I think the only game day coaching to possibly match or exceed freeze's coaching against state and Pitt was sumlin's game day coaching against Bama. I think if you compare Freezes coaching in those last two games to his coaching in the A&M and Vandy games I am not sure I have Ever seen that much growth in a head coach within a season.

As far as Sumlin is concerned I had some folks pretty close to the A&M program tell me that a couple of NFL teams quietly pursued him this year and he said "not interested". I think what he meant is "not right now" but I agree 100% that how Kelly does could change that interest just like Saban and Spurrier made NFL teams hesitate on college coaches for awhile.

But I am happy with our coach and I am very optimistic.., next Wednesday is HUGE though. Gotta close.
OMNOB 1A
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Rebchuck18 wrote:I think there is a hairline difference in the jobs done. But results matter and while nobody expected us to win 7 even fewer expected A&M to do what they did. Got no problem calling it even (especially by the end of the year) but think sumlins on the field coaching was good from day one and freeze took several games to come up with that game day coaching to match his other strengths.

But my whole point is that I think freeze will get us there and the last two games of the year were in my view BRILLIANTLY coached. I think the only game day coaching to possibly match or exceed freeze's coaching against state and Pitt was sumlin's game day coaching against Bama. I think if you compare Freezes coaching in those last two games to his coaching in the A&M and Vandy games I am not sure I have Ever seen that much growth in a head coach within a season.

As far as Sumlin is concerned I had some folks pretty close to the A&M program tell me that a couple of NFL teams quietly pursued him this year and he said "not interested". I think what he meant is "not right now" but I agree 100% that how Kelly does could change that interest just like Saban and Spurrier made NFL teams hesitate on college coaches for awhile.

But I am happy with our coach and I am very optimistic.., next Wednesday is HUGE though. Gotta close.
Again, agreed, but with a small caveat again.

A&M had LSU and Florida (a highly overrated team, and I think they had them at home) right where they wanted them but could not close those contests out.

It is sooooo very not the same when comparing our failure to put away Vanderbilt, and the afore mentioned Texas A&M, but all things considered those two games are at the very least comparable.

One thing that I can agree with you on is Sumlin's game plan against Alabama. Nothing short of masterful and I know that Freeze cannot boast anything of the sort. Yet.

If Freeze closes signing day, the two are at the very least equal (this with Sumlin having a Heisman winning QB he did not land as a recruit).

However, I am with you. Cautiously, I feel as though this Freeze fella might be on to something...
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Agreed.... I do however think that sumlin's coaching in the spring helped make a heisman winner or at least I have had some coaches here that know Johnny tell me that his improvement over the spring and summer was phenomenal as a result of the coaching he got from Sumlin and kingsbury, that they turned a raw sporadic inconsistent kid into an SEC winning QB. Just like freeze made a number of players he didn't recruit much much better. But we really are talking about minuscule differences.... Both did great jobs.
CMB
2nd String
2nd String

dont forget the recruiting aspect as well...both have done well but what a turnaround in recruiting we have seen!
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

CMB wrote:dont forget the recruiting aspect as well...both have done well but what a turnaround in recruiting we have seen!
Yea and Sumlin is losing some.... If we land RN and Conner ( even without a jones or tunsil or golson) I would give freeze the edge in recruiting.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Meanwhile, all threads on message boards from fan bases as diverse as Tennessee, LSU, Georgia, State and Florida can do is accuse Freeze of being a cheater and that the NCAA will come calling soon. Freeze has tweeted forthrightly that if anyone has anything to present, they should present it to the NCAA link he provides. I haven't looked forward to a recruiting class like this one...well, ever!