Well.... Missouri ...

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

Is making it apparent that we are destined to be a NIt tournament team again this year. We are not a NCAA tournament team guys . NCAA basketball tournament teams win big games on the road.... And they sustain succeess. We're on track to give up 100 plus points today.
alrebbsb
Water Boy
Water Boy

Teams have figured Hendrrson out. They realize he is our only chance to score. Holloway is one dimensional and Buckner can only block shots. Millinghaus is not an option at pg. he is severely undersized for the SEC and is prone to turnovers. I have also noticed the last few games how obvious the laziness of Buckner and Holloway have become. Agree, NIT is out destiny.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

alrebbsb wrote:Teams have figured Hendrrson out. They realize he is our only chance to score. Holloway is one dimensional and Buckner can only block shots. Millinghaus is not an option at pg. he is severely undersized for the SEC and is prone to turnovers. I have also noticed the last few games how obvious the laziness of Buckner and Holloway have become. Agree, NIT is out destiny.
Of course they've figured him out. It doesn't take much. That doesn't mean he still can't score 30 a game. Just got create new plays for him.

Mizzou has lost in that place like 4 times since it's been open(like 4/5 years), so it's a tough place to play. That being said, we have not beat one resume building team this season, except for Mizzou. But that was without one or two players and now they've basically destroyed us with those guys back.

People keep bringing up how Indiana St. keeps beating top 15 teams. Who cares? It doesn't help us, we should've beat them. Then, it would matter every time they beat a ranked team.

AK, is the winningest coach of all time at Ole Miss(or will be)!!! Who cares, we're not Duke or North Carolina. We're not some basketball power. It doesn't take much to be the all time winningest coach. This is his 8th year? And he's going to be the winningest all time coach in our history? Only 8 years to accomplish that? Read all of that and it explains itself. Who cares?

Again, one thing matters in college basketball, and that one thing has alluded us for 10 years, covering AK's entire tenure here. Just about all of the other SEC schools have made it in that time. Oh, but just about all of the other SEC teams have made it to Omaha since Bianco's been here!!! If we are seriously comparing Omaha to just making to the NCAA basketball tourney, then we have lost touch with reality.

There will always be something for the 'positive petes'. He can't recruit to Ole Miss b/c of Tad Smith. But, most say we have more talent right now than we've ever had. So which is it? We've made the tourney in that same gym when the conference wasn't a dumpster fire in basketball. So what if it's harder to make the tourney now! You adapt or you get left behind.

There's my rant. I still think we make the tourney as of right now. The conference is too weak. As long as we can get back on track. We've lost 3 of the last 4.
Some Random Dude
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:
alrebbsb wrote:Teams have figured Hendrrson out. They realize he is our only chance to score. Holloway is one dimensional and Buckner can only block shots. Millinghaus is not an option at pg. he is severely undersized for the SEC and is prone to turnovers. I have also noticed the last few games how obvious the laziness of Buckner and Holloway have become. Agree, NIT is out destiny.
Of course they've figured him out. It doesn't take much. That doesn't mean he still can't score 30 a game. Just got create new plays for him.

Mizzou has lost in that place like 4 times since it's been open(like 4/5 years), so it's a tough place to play. That being said, we have not beat one resume building team this season, except for Mizzou. But that was without one or two players and now they've basically destroyed us with those guys back.

People keep bringing up how Indiana St. keeps beating top 15 teams. Who cares? It doesn't help us, we should've beat them. Then, it would matter every time they beat a ranked team.

AK, is the winningest coach of all time at Ole Miss(or will be)!!! Who cares, we're not Duke or North Carolina. We're not some basketball power. It doesn't take much to be the all time winningest coach. This is his 8th year? And he's going to be the winningest all time coach in our history? Only 8 years to accomplish that? Read all of that and it explains itself. Who cares?

Again, one thing matters in college basketball, and that one thing has alluded us for 10 years, covering AK's entire tenure here. Just about all of the other SEC schools have made it in that time. Oh, but just about all of the other SEC teams have made it to Omaha since Bianco's been here!!! If we are seriously comparing Omaha to just making to the NCAA basketball tourney, then we have lost touch with reality.

There will always be something for the 'positive petes'. He can't recruit to Ole Miss b/c of Tad Smith. But, most say we have more talent right now than we've ever had. So which is it? We've made the tourney in that same gym when the conference wasn't a dumpster fire in basketball. So what if it's harder to make the tourney now! You adapt or you get left behind.

There's my rant. I still think we make the tourney as of right now. The conference is too weak. As long as we can get back on track. We've lost 3 of the last 4.
First of all, this is his 7th year, not 8th, so get your facts straight. And if u dont' think facitilites matter, then u need a course on recruiting 101. We don't get any of our 5 * players if we were still playing in 1970's Vaught. We also wouldn't even be competing in football if we played in the old stadium. Other than beating tiger high for the center at Piney Woods, can u name the last time we won a recruiting battle for someone? The last I can remember was the Jackson Provine. Players don't want to come here because our administration didn't support basketball. We now have an administration that will support basketball, and strangely enough, we won a recruiting battle. In AK's 6 years, we have won 2 SEC west titles. That would've been 2 NCAA tournments 10 years ago. We got lucky with the players from arkie that Richardson didn't recruit for about 2 years. And that help us for about 6 years. Don't know if Evans could've kept that going or not. Since he left to go west, Evans hasn't done anything since. Don't even know if he's still coaching. Barnes started out great, but didn't recruit and our program was headed down when he was let go. Think he's coaching at CSU, and they have a losing record as of now. We should win most of our remaining games, sorry that'll disappoint some on here. And we have a pretty good class coming in, hopefully the bigs we have coming in will be better players than the bigs we have now. Murph and Buckner got one rebound apiece against Mo. Henderson was our leading rebounder. I'm so sick of Buckner, tired of his thug mentaility. But he's from Memphis, so guess it comes natually. We have no choice but play zone the rest of the year. Have no one to come in once they get in foul trouble. And as for as how weak the SEC is, at the beginning of the year, Ky. was bad. Think they are now starting to play better. The conference may surprise some folks come tourny time. And 4 of the top 5 teams lost this past week. Think every SEC road team lost this past week, not sure on that though. And if u don't think that we should be doing much better in baseball with what we've put into it. We have one of the best baseball facilities in the country. Again, what kind of talent would we be geting if we was still playing in 1970 Swayze? If yall don't think facilities matter, then carry on. :roll:
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Sorry, 7th year. When you're miserable, it just seems longer. ;)

Nobody disagrees that we need an upgrade.

But, to simply blame the facilities as to why we can't field a tourney team is ridiculous. We've done it before.

You keep pointing to the baseball facilities. WE DON'T HAVE THOSE FACILITIES without Bianco's success. We started winning, and the admin. said, hey we need to upgrade so we can host some these, wait what are they called? Oh yeah, regionals. You see, they didn't know what they were called b/c Ole Miss had been to 2 since before I was born.

In basketball, we are simply building a new arena to keep up, not b/c of success or fan support. Why is that?

Why did Mizzou just dismantle us? It wasn't even close. Why did we struggle at times against a HORRIBLE State team, at home, when we should've beat them worse than Mizzou beat us. Yet, we're supposed to be a top tier SEC team and a tourney team and we can't even keep the Mizzou game close.

One of these days someone will realize that AK is just not that great of a coach. Until then, I'll pray he can keep getting decent talent to buy into his BS and win games on talent alone. When was the last game we won where you said, we just out-coached them? And be honest.
Some Random Dude
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote:
lewindha wrote:

First of all, this is his 7th year, not 8th, so get your facts straight. And if u dont' think facitilites matter, then u need a course on recruiting 101. We don't get any of our 5 * players if we were still playing in 1970's Vaught. We also wouldn't even be competing in football if we played in the old stadium. Other than beating tiger high for the center at Piney Woods, can u name the last time we won a recruiting battle for someone? The last I can remember was the Jackson Provine. Players don't want to come here because our administration didn't support basketball. We now have an administration that will support basketball, and strangely enough, we won a recruiting battle. In AK's 6 years, we have won 2 SEC west titles. That would've been 2 NCAA tournments 10 years ago. We got lucky with the players from arkie that Richardson didn't recruit for about 2 years. And that help us for about 6 years. Don't know if Evans could've kept that going or not. Since he left to go west, Evans hasn't done anything since. Don't even know if he's still coaching. Barnes started out great, but didn't recruit and our program was headed down when he was let go. Think he's coaching at CSU, and they have a losing record as of now. We should win most of our remaining games, sorry that'll disappoint some on here. And we have a pretty good class coming in, hopefully the bigs we have coming in will be better players than the bigs we have now. Murph and Buckner got one rebound apiece against Mo. Henderson was our leading rebounder. I'm so sick of Buckner, tired of his thug mentaility. But he's from Memphis, so guess it comes natually. We have no choice but play zone the rest of the year. Have no one to come in once they get in foul trouble. And as for as how weak the SEC is, at the beginning of the year, Ky. was bad. Think they are now starting to play better. The conference may surprise some folks come tourny time. And 4 of the top 5 teams lost this past week. Think every SEC road team lost this past week, not sure on that though. And if u don't think that we should be doing much better in baseball with what we've put into it. We have one of the best baseball facilities in the country. Again, what kind of talent would we be geting if we was still playing in 1970 Swayze? If yall don't think facilities matter, then carry on. :roll:

Dude, nobody is refuting the fact that the Tad Pad is one of the worst facilities in college basketball.... Does that change the fact that there is talent on the roster that has not been developed? You can't have it both ways, yeah the facilities suck, we get it, but that does not give you a pass to not develop talent when you have it. By your logic, I guess we should have kept coach O.. A.K., great job of getting guys to play at the Tad Pad... Now what?
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I'll try this again, wondering if yall just refuse to look at logic, or u can't see it for your hatred. AK can't get the talent he wants because we haven't made a commitment to baskeball until lately. How can u compete when u don' have the talent. I ask when was the last time we were in a recruiting battle in baskeball. Nobody answers bacause it defeats your arguement. AK is trying to win with one hand tied behind his back. Give him a equal chance, is that too much to ask? I liked MB until about 2 years ago when I started wondering if it was Mike or Dan that got us where we was. Since Dan's left, our talent has dropped dramatically. Now we have Lafferfty, and he's getting some talent here. We'll have to see if Mike has given up his stubborn ways, which I highly doubt. If he has, we'll do good. If he heasn't, we may be in search of a new HC. And it's not like we are THAT talented. We have ONE outside shooter, Henderson, that's it. We need more shooters, and that means we're going to hagve to beat some teams for them. We need facilities to bring in that talent. Do u not agree?
Last edited by rebeljim on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:Sorry, 7th year. When you're miserable, it just seems longer. ;)

But, to simply blame the facilities as to why we can't field a tourney team is ridiculous. We've done it before.

You keep pointing to the baseball facilities. WE DON'T HAVE THOSE FACILITIES without Bianco's success. We started winning, and the admin. said, hey we need to upgrade so we can host some these, wait what are they called? Oh yeah, regionals. You see, they didn't know what they were called b/c Ole Miss had been to 2 since before I was born.

In basketball, we are simply building a new arena to keep up, not b/c of success or fan support. Why is that?

Why did Mizzou just dismantle us? It wasn't even close. Why did we struggle at times against a HORRIBLE State team, at home, when we should've beat them worse than Mizzou beat us. Yet, we're supposed to be a top tier SEC team and a tourney team and we can't even keep the Mizzou game close.

One of these days someone will realize that AK is just not that great of a coach. Until then, I'll pray he can keep getting decent talent to buy into his BS and win games on talent alone. When was the last game we won where you said, we just out-coached them? And be honest.
Totalt BS, the fan support is there. If we win, the tad pad won't be big enough for the crowds. U need to show up at a game before u run your mouth about something u have no idea about. And when we did it before, it was a lot easier then. And if we had such good coaches, why didn't they do ANYTHING after they left here? They wouldn't be taking us dancing right now either. Mo. plays very well at home. They were coming off a butt kicking the received, and they were also ready for some payback after what we did to them. Top that off with Holloway running his mouth after we beat them saying they were not a good team. I've never said AK was a great coach. He has his flaws, no doubt. But, and I'll keep saying this, he needs a fair chance to do something, and the new administration is just now doing that. And did Mike do all that, or was it Dan. Cause I really have my doubts Mike did it all by himself. Think Dan had a lot to do with it. If I'm wrong, then Mike should take us to a higher level. Dan has done that at Louisville already. But Mike is running out of time. And we benefited from the expanded conference tourny. If they hadn't expanded it, we would have sat at home last year. And one more time, how good would we've done in recruiting just now in football if all we had was the 1970 Vaught. Wy can't anyone answer that? And how good does anyone think we've been in football with said facilities? I'll tell u, we would suck in football if we didn't have what we have. Can anyone disagree with that?
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote:

Totalt BS, the fan support is there. If we win, the tad pad won't be big enough for the crowds. U need to show up at a game before u run your mouth about something u have no idea about. And when we did it before, it was a lot easier then. And if we had such good coaches, why didn't they do ANYTHING after they left here? They wouldn't be taking us dancing right now either. Mo. plays very well at home. They were coming off a butt kicking the received, and they were also ready for some payback after what we did to them. Top that off with Holloway running his mouth after we beat them saying they were not a good team. I've never said AK was a great coach. He has his flaws, no doubt. But, and I'll keep saying this, he needs a fair chance to do something, and the new administration is just now doing that. And did Mike do all that, or was it Dan. Cause I really have my doubts Mike did it all by himself. Think Dan had a lot to do with it. If I'm wrong, then Mike should take us to a higher level. Dan has done that at Louisville already. But Mike is running out of time. And we benefited from the expanded conference tourny. If they hadn't expanded it, we would have sat at home last year. And one more time, how good would we've done in recruiting just now in football if all we had was the 1970 Vaught. Wy can't anyone answer that? And how good does anyone think we've been in football with said facilities? I'll tell u, we would suck in football if we didn't have what we have. Can anyone disagree with that?

And you need to make sure you understand a post before running your mouth.

I have no doubt that fan support is there if we win. As evidenced by the last few weeks. But, we ARE NOT building a new arena b/c we just started selling out over the last month, or b/c of AK's success. We are building an arena to keep up with the Jones.

And, no, we wouldn't be doing so well in recruiting if we hadn't upgraded our football facilities.

Cameron Indoor stadium holds about 300 more seats than Tad Smith. And it leaks.

Many players and coaches have admitted that the Tad Pad is a very difficult place to play when the fans are there. Yet, you want to blame EVERY SINGLE thing wrong with our basketball program on the Tad Pad. Never ever, ever, once have you acknowledged that AK just may not be a good coach. Quick, name one single player that was a better basketball player when he left Ole Miss than when he got here under Kennedy.

Lots of people keep saying that we have more talent than we've ever had. But, you keep saying Kennedy doesn't have HIS type of players. Guess what? Good coaches take what they have and coach it up. We have good players now, but let's give AK ANOTHER pass b/c they're not HIS type of players. They are good players. Adapt and coach them to play to their strengths. Instead, Murph and Buckner look to be regressing. We throw up ridiculous shots. Murph throws up 3 point shots probably b/c he knows his chances of getting it in the post are slim and none.
Some Random Dude
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Maybe the Tad Pad isn't the reason the "talent" isn't coming. If I was a good big man why would I want to come to OM. The only way the bigs are going to get the ball is to rebound it. There sure isn't any guard that's played at OM in the past seven years that is going to pass it to them. Ever wonder why OM always has at least one ball hog wanting to play here. It's because they know they can shoot it any time they want to. You know maybe it isn't the "nellies" that can't see the truth. The only one I see defending AK is one certain person. Maybe he's the one who can't see the forest for the trees. We don't have a clue what Rob Evans would have done if he would have stayed but what we do know is what he did while he was here. You say AK needs a fair chance. What do you think seven years of mediocrity is. If he could build a program it would be pretty obvious by now. OM has been just as good as the talent ever since AK arrived. No better or no worse. He cannot take a player and develop him into anything more than what he is when he shows up on campus. After watching the football team this past year it should be obvious what a coach can do if they know what to work on. Freeze went to work and his team improved greatly. The basketball team has wallowed in mediocrity for seven years and shows no signs of doing anything different. It's easy to point fingers and blame this or that but the fact remains this team is pretty talented but still is a average team. They had a chance to prove they were a real tournament team and lost three times to teams that are going to the tournament. Two out of the three wasn't even very competitive. Right now we still haven't beat but one team that is going to the tournament and they didn't have their best palyer and the return game wasn't competitive.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

55chevy wrote:The only one I see defending AK is one certain person. Maybe he's the one who can't see the forest for the trees.
There are lots of folks that defend AK, let's don't start throwing insults...no need for that. Jim and whoever else wants to defend AK should defend him and they have points...but we can disagree without getting personal, Jim and I do it all the time.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:
rebeljim wrote:

And you need to make sure you understand a post before running your mouth.

I have no doubt that fan support is there if we win. As evidenced by the last few weeks. But, we ARE NOT building a new arena b/c we just started selling out over the last month, or b/c of AK's success. We are building an arena to keep up with the Jones.

And, no, we wouldn't be doing so well in recruiting if we hadn't upgraded our football facilities.

Cameron Indoor stadium holds about 300 more seats than Tad Smith. And it leaks.

Many players and coaches have admitted that the Tad Pad is a very difficult place to play when the fans are there. Yet, you want to blame EVERY SINGLE thing wrong with our basketball program on the Tad Pad. Never ever, ever, once have you acknowledged that AK just may not be a good coach. Quick, name one single player that was a better basketball player when he left Ole Miss than when he got here under Kennedy.

Lots of people keep saying that we have more talent than we've ever had. But, you keep saying Kennedy doesn't have HIS type of players. Guess what? Good coaches take what they have and coach it up. We have good players now, but let's give AK ANOTHER pass b/c they're not HIS type of players. They are good players. Adapt and coach them to play to their strengths. Instead, Murph and Buckner look to be regressing. We throw up ridiculous shots. Murph throws up 3 point shots probably b/c he knows his chances of getting it in the post are slim and none.
I did underststand your post. U mentioned attendeance, and I called u out on it. We will and do support basketball, if it's a good product. So when we do build a new arena, it needs to be bigger than the one we have now. And we built on to Vaught to keep up with the Jones's also. We haven't sold out all our games, so what's your point? We added on to Vaught the same reason we need to build another arena, to get recruits. If we hadn't expanded Vaught, we would be at the bottom of the SEC, can u agree with that? Basketball players won't come here with what we have now. Ak does a good job of recruiting with what he has. I'd like to see what he could do if we gave him an even playing field. Is that to much to ask for? Abd as foir as baseball goes, like I said, I'm not sure if it was Mike Or Dan that got us to nwhere we was. But it's kinda funny that since Dan hgas left, our program has gone down. Unless u will argue that point also. Murph threw up that 3 pointer once, but let's keep on it like he does it every game. Henderson has been in alot more control lately, but let's not mention that either. it defeats your argument. So it seems like AK is doing some coaching. Once the new arena is built, and if AK still can't do anything, then get rid of him. But I think he and all other coaches deserve an even chance.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rebchuck18 wrote:
55chevy wrote:The only one I see defending AK is one certain person. Maybe he's the one who can't see the forest for the trees.
There are lots of folks that defend AK, let's don't start throwing insults...no need for that. Jim and whoever else wants to defend AK should defend him and they have points...but we can disagree without getting personal, Jim and I do it all the time.
Thanks Chuck, and u are right. There's alot of people defending AK. And until he gets a fair shot, I will continue to defend him.
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Not meant as a insult or a personal attack. Just pointing out that some see things different and in the end it's all just opinions and different perspectives.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

55chevy wrote:Not meant as a insult or a personal attack. Just pointing out that some see things different and in the end it's all just opinions and different perspectives.
It's all good...I think we all want the same thing ultimately just have different opinions about how,,,or at least Who can get us there.