Mizzou Fan Question About Ole Miss Gameday...

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Mosnowman
Water Boy
Water Boy

Greetings!

I am one of the many Mizzou Fans planning on making the trip to your beautiful campus in November to watch my Tigers play Ole Miss...

Most of us will be coming through Memphis and I was wanting to get advice from you experienced guys on a number of Gameday type questions. We have quickly learned that nearby lodging is an issue for us visitors...so...

1. Best Place to Stay Friday and Saturday Night? Stay in Memphis ....or other Areas?

2. Is there a place for our "Visiting" RV'ers to Park in Oxford on Gameday?

3. Best Time to Arrive Gameday?

4. Don't Miss Activities?

5. Restaurants? Bars? Open Container Laws?

Thanks for any advice you can give us! We are all looking forward to visiting!
wildthang80
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Might want to edit that dark knight....
CMB
2nd String
2nd String

1. Best Place to Stay Friday and Saturday Night? Stay in Memphis ....or other Areas?
very difficult to find a place to stay. surrounding areas that people have been known to have have been Grenada, Southaven, Tupelo, Pontotoc, New Albany, ...

there was one place that I know of -- it used to be by the soccer field / across from the softball field. This may have changed since I was there, though. There was also a place on Old Taylor across from a parking lot right off of the hwy - down the road from the baseball stadium. Not sure which ones are free, etc though

get to the Grove as early as possible regardless of what time kickoff is. Walk around the Grove and the Circle and enjoy the atmosphere. Not saying you would be but avoid being a complete jackass and you will be offered food and drinks from most people

Walk of Champions - traditionally 2 hours before kickoff
Band playing at the Grove stage
The game (the obvious one)

Restaurants - Ajax Diner (onthe square downtown) and City Grocery are always good choices but good luck getting in unless you are there Thursday. Friday may not be too bad but Saturday may be impossible. Proud Larry's and Rib Cage (both on the square) are also good. There is also a good pizza place right off Jackson Ave on Heritage Dr called Pizza Den.
Bars - this has changed since I was there but there were also good bars on the square all within walking distance of each other
Open Container Laws - the city and the campus have different laws (or at least they used to). Inside the campus, you can have liquor bottles sitting on your tailgating table but not beer cans (yes, that is correct). Easiest way to stay out of trouble is to just keep it all in a cup and you should be fine. Also, do not have any coolers out with nobody around them!

some others may have things to share as well but that is all I have at the moment in a rush! Hope you enjoy!
ReservoirReb
3rd String
3rd String

CMB wrote:1. Best Place to Stay Friday and Saturday Night? Stay in Memphis ....or other Areas?
very difficult to find a place to stay. surrounding areas that people have been known to have have been Grenada, Southaven, Tupelo, Pontotoc, New Albany, ...

there was one place that I know of -- it used to be by the soccer field / across from the softball field. This may have changed since I was there, though. There was also a place on Old Taylor across from a parking lot right off of the hwy - down the road from the baseball stadium. Not sure which ones are free, etc though

get to the Grove as early as possible regardless of what time kickoff is. Walk around the Grove and the Circle and enjoy the atmosphere. Not saying you would be but avoid being a complete jackass and you will be offered food and drinks from most people

Restaurants - Ajax Diner (onthe square downtown) and City Grocery are always good choices but good luck getting in unless you are there Thursday. Friday may not be too bad but Saturday may be impossible. Proud Larry's and Rib Cage (both on the square) are also good. There is also a good pizza place right off Jackson Ave on Heritage Dr called Pizza Den.
Bars - this has changed since I was there but there were also good bars on the square all within walking distance of each other
Open Container Laws - the city and the campus have different laws (or at least they used to). Inside the campus, you can have liquor bottles sitting on your tailgating table but not beer cans (yes, that is correct). Easiest way to stay out of trouble is to just keep it all in a cup and you should be fine. Also, do not have any coolers out with nobody around them!

some others may have things to share as well but that is all I have at the moment in a rush! Hope you enjoy!
The official on campus alcohol policy is "no alcohol". However what that really means is no alcohol where it can be seen. This includes wine bottles, liquor bottles, beer cans or bottles, whatever. Just use common sense and have it in a cup where the contents are not visible. My cup of choice is a red solo cup. Also if you do not have a lock on your cooler make sure it is supervised at all times. If not, and security comes by and opens your cooler and sees alcohol, you will have the unfortunate task of having to pour out all alcoholic beverages.

Also new this year, the Ole Miss campus is tobacco free. No smoking anywhere on campus. Don't know the specific ramifications involved with this if caught smoking since it is a new policy and I don't smoke.

Once on campus, stop by and say hello. We tailgate under the Magnolia tree in front of the observatory building just across the street from the Union.
"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an
intolerable one." - Thomas Paine
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

ReservoirReb wrote:
CMB wrote:1. Best Place to Stay Friday and Saturday Night? Stay in Memphis ....or other Areas?

The official on campus alcohol policy is "no alcohol". However what that really means is no alcohol where it can be seen. This includes wine bottles, liquor bottles, beer cans or bottles, whatever. Just use common sense and have it in a cup where the contents are not visible. My cup of choice is a red solo cup. Also if you do not have a lock on your cooler make sure it is supervised at all times. If not, and security comes by and opens your cooler and sees alcohol, you will have the unfortunate task of having to pour out all alcoholic beverages.

Also new this year, the Ole Miss campus is tobacco free. No smoking anywhere on campus. Don't know the specific ramifications involved with this if caught smoking since it is a new policy and I don't smoke.

Once on campus, stop by and say hello. We tailgate under the Magnolia tree in front of the observatory building just across the street from the Union.
I heard if they catch u with tobacco, they just take u out and shoot u.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I recommend not eating the pizza at Pizza Den. Not that it's not good, but the sandwiches are where's it's at. I cannot describe how good the stromboli is!
Some Random Dude
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Other restaurants around The Square that are really good: Boure (pronounced Boo-Ray, like the Cajun card game); McEwans and Old Venice.
Mosnowman
Water Boy
Water Boy

Wow! Thanks for all the info..it is really appreciated!

I think you will find most visiting Mizzou Fans very humble, respectful and polite. We love to tailgate and had a great time welcoming our new SEC brethren to Columbia last year. We will be showing up with pretty large numbers and it sounds like the Ole Miss game will be the favorite road game this year. Can't wait to see "The Grove" and your campus! Good luck and see you in November!