Moderator: Rebel Security

rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Sources
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

That's what I heard this afternoon from someone who should know because a lot of stuff on campus is named after him.
BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

Hate 'em, but they couldn't have made a more spectacular choice. Charlie Strong at Texas? = Uh Oh.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

BobReb wrote:Hate 'em, but they couldn't have made a more spectacular choice. Charlie Strong at Texas? = Uh Oh.
I think it's a decent choice, but not sure the fan base will be happy. Think they had a list of 5 that would have totally satisfied them. The first 4 on that list were Saban. Then a distant 5th was Fisher. It will be interesting to see how this plays here in Austin.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

My take is that Charlie Strong is a good coach, but he accomplished what he accomplished in a very weak league--the old Big East. Not much competition there. Louisville's schedule this year, for instance, was ridiculously easy. Oklahoma, Oke State, Baylor, Texas Tech, Kansas State and TCU will be a good deal more difficult than the old Big East was. And I think James Franklin has accomplished a helluva lot more by taking Vandy to three straight bowls and possibly two straight 9-4 seasons in the toughest league in the country. And, yes, hiring Franklin away from Vandy would have increased the likelihood that Vandy would not have been able to hit two home runs in a row with their next hire. Nothing against Vandy as a school, but I liked the old cellar-dweller Vandy a lot more as a game to play.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I also think Franklin might have been a better hire, but only marginally. If you couldn't get Fisher or Saban I think Strong or Franklin are both good consolations. It's just Texas folks don't believe they should have to settle for consolations. So it will be fun to watch them spin Strong as their "First Choice".
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rebchuck18 wrote:That's what I heard this afternoon from someone who should know because a lot of stuff on campus is named after him.
Just for clarification, I was told it was "looking like Strong", not that it was a done deal.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Titans fired Munchak. Don't be surprised if they at least consider Franklin. Redskins and Browns might also talk to Franklin.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Yes, if Franklin wants the pro game, the Titans' job wouldn't require him to move anywhere. Vandy's three-year, competitive run is the result of their head coach. It's always on the head coach. And, BTW, Maryland must be kicking themselves for not following through on Franklin as their coach-in-waiting!
A10Rebel
3rd String
3rd String

If Franklin stays at Vandy it's a waste of his potential. If that guy's ceiling is Vandy...wow. His stock is high right now, he ought to be looking at his options.
"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice."
-Wayne Dyer
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

True. Vandy still has to struggle for respect. They were 8-4 regular season, while State was only 6-6. Yet, it was Vandy that got the last-place bowl in Birmingham, while State got the Liberty Bowl because the Liberty knew State would sell lots more tickets. Or at least that was their perception. That perception will always haunt Vandy no matter how many games they win. Unless they win the East and go to Atlanta. Being the cellar-dweller of the league for so long still hurts them. Franklin will always be fighting an uphill battle, and programs like Florida, Georgia and South Carolina won't sit still for Vandy overtaking them on the field.
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Watching on TV, it looked like there were more Houston fans than Vandy fans in Birmingham.