Vandy coaching search

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

3rdR8Bromance
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

I haven't heard it mentioned anywhere, but are they looking @ Kent Austin, by any chance? He's coached @ Cornell, so he understands recruiting, w/ elevated academic standards, in mind. Apparently, his spouse prefers a metropolitan area, and he's originally from Brentwood. Don't know what he's making, in the CFL, but it seems like an intriguing option (although I'm most definitely NOT rooting for it; I would like to see him do well)

Whoever they eventually hire, they will have a distinct disadvantage, in trying to stabilize/secure a decent 2014 recruiting class, in three weeks, or less. JF certainly didn't take the Norman Vincent Peale approach, to his 'exit strategy.' ;)
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I agree on both counts. Austin could be a good match and that whoever it is starts out behind the 8 ball.
mascott
3rd String
3rd String

I think CHF had similar issues. :roll:
scott
BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

Supposedly, Schottenheimer (SP?) is interviewing for the job. The son, I suppose, of the iconic coach.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

In the SEC era, Vandy has really only had two coaches that had any sort of success that was memorable--Art Guepe back in the '50's and James Franklin in this century. Steve Martin--er, Bobby Johnson--probably built the program up to the point that Franklin had something to work with but he didn't go to a string of bowls and winning seasons. We're talking about six or seven years tops over 82 years from Guepe and Franklin. It's just not likely that Vandy will continue at the 9-win level with a change of staff.