Replacements for Godwin....

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

Billysquare
Water Boy
Water Boy

It seems to be a done deal that we are going to lose Coach Godwin. Who are some of the guys that Coach Bianco will look at to replace him?
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

Billysquare wrote:It seems to be a done deal that we are going to lose Coach Godwin. Who are some of the guys that Coach Bianco will look at to replace him?

Purely speculation but I've heard that we're looking at the hitting coaches from ULL and Tulane.
L. S. WHO?
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

oxpatchreb wrote:
Billysquare wrote:It seems to be a done deal that we are going to lose Coach Godwin. Who are some of the guys that Coach Bianco will look at to replace him?

Purely speculation but I've heard that we're looking at the hitting coaches from ULL and Tulane.
Hell yeah bring the ULL guy here.
Billysquare
Water Boy
Water Boy

I've done a little research since my initial post. Here are the guys I would target if it were up to me.

Matt Deggs, Lafayette: May be named the HC at Sam Houston St soon, but led a very high powered offense at Lafayette.

Ty Megahee, Mercer: Worked with the offense at Auburn from 2010-2013. Spent this past season as the hitting coach at Mercer, where they were 38-17. Has SEC experience

Stephen Head, Volunteer at Ole Miss: One of the best players in Ole Miss history, has spent the past two years on Bianco's staff. May be a little too green for this spot right now

Jeff Palumbo, VCU: Coached with Cliff at UCF. Thought to be known as a good recruiter and hitting coach
mascott
3rd String
3rd String

While I think the UL hitting coach would be great, Stephen Head would be a good coach also. Surely he has witnessed first hand How Godwin coached and could at the very least mimic that.
scott
olemissreb10
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I have no clue who we will hire. There's just so much that goes into that position. Training, recruiting, etc.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I wouldn't hire Head just yet, needs some more seasoning. Whoever we get needs to be a very good recruiter. Godwin really up graded our talent level in the 2 years he was here. Compare this team to the one 2 years ago, and u will see the impact Godwin's recruiting had. I've heard Fleming will be coming back, and that's great news. He also had a major impact on our season. Will be interesting to see who we get.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

mascott wrote:While I think the UL hitting coach would be great, Stephen Head would be a good coach also. Surely he has witnessed first hand How Godwin coached and could at the very least mimic that.
scott
We don't want a coach to "copy cat" what another coach did, because then he can only coach effectively in situations that the previous coach found himself in. What happens when something occurs that Godwin didn't have to face? I don't want Head standing there thinking "What would Cliff do in this situation???", I want a coach who KNOWS what to do based on his own strategy, experience and knowledge.

I think Chase added some additional coaches to the list, if anyone has a subscription over there. I believe that the current UCF hitting coach (who took over for Godwin when he left... teehee) is on the list. OkSt's hitting coach/crootin guru is on the list, a crosschecker from the Yankees organization is a looong shot and there was one more guy I can't remember...
L. S. WHO?
Heath
All American
All American

I say we try to get the ULL guy. I am betting we probably pay our assistants better than Sam Houston pays their HC. And, that would give him more experience at a bigger program before going to be a HC somewhere. Just a thought, but probably wishful thinking.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Heath wrote:I say we try to get the ULL guy. I am betting we probably pay our assistants better than Sam Houston pays their HC. And, that would give him more experience at a bigger program before going to be a HC somewhere. Just a thought, but probably wishful thinking.
Agree.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rebchuck18 wrote:
Heath wrote:I say we try to get the ULL guy. I am betting we probably pay our assistants better than Sam Houston pays their HC. And, that would give him more experience at a bigger program before going to be a HC somewhere. Just a thought, but probably wishful thinking.
Agree.

X2
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I'm just gonna trust Bianco on this one. I think he learned his lesson with the Mossberg deal and saw the results of bringing in someone like Godwin( and McDonnel earlier).
Some Random Dude
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

We have carte blanche salary-wise. No reason not to go after the best available.
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

I'm not sold on the ULL guy. Yes his offense was great this season but he was fired from Arkansas a few seasons ago so that's a red flag in my book.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

jrebel87 wrote:I'm not sold on the ULL guy. Yes his offense was great this season but he was fired from Arkansas a few seasons ago so that's a red flag in my book.
And let's be frank here. Having success in the Sun Belt does not equate to having success in the SEC when the chips are down. Proof: who won the Lafayette Super? I might be more excited about hiring someone from one of the Big 5 leagues.