Archie has resigned from the playoff committee

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

the official announcement will come later today. He is citing health issues.
BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

Hip replacement surgery. Or something along those lines.
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

knees actually. That's what happens as former NFL QBs who had no offensive line in front of them age. Eli take note.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I know he's had surgery, but this screams, "Let me excuse myself so no one says 'rigged' when Ole Miss makes the playoff"
Some Random Dude
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Due to health reasons from knee replacement surgery. Had some complications from it.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Archie Manning leaves committee

Because of health reasons, Archie Manning is stepping down from the College Football Playoff Committee that will determine the four finalists for the 2014 national championship.

"We will miss Archie," executive director Bill Hancock said. "He has such a great knowledge of college football and history with the game, but we all understand his reason for taking a leave. I wish him all the best and look forward to his return in 2015."

Manning underwent knee replacement surgery earlier this year and is having some complications that are not life-threatening but will require another surgery early next month.

Manning said, "It is an honor to serve on this committee, and I enjoy the group and was looking forward to the opportunity ahead. My health had to be my primary concern and I intend to be up and about as soon as possible."

He also underwent back surgery in 2013 and therefore will focus on his health, unable at this time to devote his time to the duties that are required of him to determine the finalists for the college national football championship playoff.

The committee will continue with 12 members for the rest of the season.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... 5725%22%7D
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Pro football players take a beating. No way around it.
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:I know he's had surgery, but this screams, "Let me excuse myself so no one says 'rigged' when Ole Miss makes the playoff"
This is kind of what I thought, but if we finish with one loss and DON'T get in, I will be disappointed. I was glad he was going to be there so OM has a voice if needed. There's a lot of football left, but we get no respect from 90% of sports writers.
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Each committee member has a list of teams for whom they are not allowed to participate in discussion. The recusal rules require them to leave the room whenever their teams are discussed. Archie could not speak up for Ole Miss. He could not even be in the room whenever Ole Miss was discussed.
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

JustBlues wrote:Each committee member has a list of teams for whom they are not allowed to participate in discussion. The recusal rules require them to leave the room whenever their teams are discussed. Archie could not speak up for Ole Miss. He could not even be in the room whenever Ole Miss was discussed.
Agreed, however if we finish with 1 loss tied with 2 other teams, he is in the room for the other two teams. That would but him in a no win situation, any way he voted would bring scrutiny from his home state.

Not saying it played a part in his stepping down, I actually really doubt it, but the way the SEC and the nation is shaking out this year I can't blame him if it did.
Randy
beastbutler65
Scout Team
Scout Team

Saw him in the stadium for a recent game. He was out on the field for a ceremony. He could barely walk. Also, looked so pale and fragile, Wife and I commented on how bad he looked.

Wish him the best!
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

JustBlues wrote:Each committee member has a list of teams for whom they are not allowed to participate in discussion. The recusal rules require them to leave the room whenever their teams are discussed. Archie could not speak up for Ole Miss. He could not even be in the room whenever Ole Miss was discussed.
But he could vote for them, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk