Does Dan Jones have one foot out the door?

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

http://hottytoddy.com/2014/10/22/blogge ... aring-end/

Love him or hate him, it seems this may finally be a done deal. I know a group recently linked www.firedanjones.com to a petition calling for his resignation, and has been putting pressure on the Administration and Alumni Association to do something ever since he announced we should "consider the implications of using the term 'Ole Miss'."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rebel44
Water Boy
Water Boy

proud2breb wrote:http://hottytoddy.com/2014/10/22/blogge ... aring-end/

Love him or hate him, it seems this may finally be a done deal. I know a group recently linked http://www.firedanjones.com to a petition calling for his resignation, and has been putting pressure on the Administration and Alumni Association to do something ever since he announced we should "consider the implications of using the term 'Ole Miss'."

No it's not. That particular blogger has degrees from MSU and LSU. Consider the source and timing of this. And a ridiculous online petition would have no effect on the decision of the IHL.
This is a message board and people have different opinions and ways of stating them. Respect that.
beastbutler65
Scout Team
Scout Team

Yeah, sure. People used to say that about Pete Boone too and see what happened?

In reality, as long as the football and other athletic teams are successful, Jones won't dare drop Ole Miss and the fans won't ask for his head. HOWEVER, when the football team starts losing, hopefully not until next year, then Katy bar the door.
1OLEMISSREBEL
All American
All American

I wish he was gone...but then I am a COLONEL LOVING, singing Dixie kind of OLE Miss Fan
Even a bad day as a Rebel is better than a good day with the dawgs!!!!
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

1OLEMISSREBEL wrote:I wish he was gone...but then I am a COLONEL LOVING, singing Dixie kind of OLE Miss Fan
I'm with you! And I really think he's feeling the pressure from the Alumni Association. There is some truth to that story, but I'm not sure how soon it will happen. I'm thinking Christmas will come early to RebelNation

Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Just understand that there are some Ole Miss fans who do not/did not like Colonel Reb and do not care about 'Dixie.' 'Forward Rebels' is a great fight song, and it belongs to us exclusively. We can win and are winning just as easily without either of the above. Just give me 'Forward Rebels,' our classic unis, a great coach like Freeze, and I'm good to go.

I do not consider 'Dixie,' Colonel Reb and the Confederate Flag as the 'good ole days.' They were and are baggage.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Titles 'R Us wrote:Just understand that there are some Ole Miss fans who do not/did not like Colonel Reb and do not care about 'Dixie.' 'Forward Rebels' is a great fight song, and it belongs to us exclusively. We can win and are winning just as easily without either of the above. Just give me 'Forward Rebels,' our classic unis, a great coach like Freeze, and I'm good to go.

I do not consider 'Dixie,' Colonel Reb and the Confederate Flag as the 'good ole days.' They were and are baggage.
The band played Dixie this past weekend at the Tennessee game. It's "From Dixie With Love"(that belongs to us) that is not played now b/c some idiot students had to do that stupid ass chant at the end. That stuff is only baggage b/c we let people make it baggage. Except the flag. That was legit baggage.
Some Random Dude
beastbutler65
Scout Team
Scout Team

FYI, and FWIW, the band has played Dixie at each and every home game this year.

We each have an opinion on the value of each and every discarded tradition. I will leave it at that.
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Titles 'R Us wrote:Just understand that there are some Ole Miss fans who do not/did not like Colonel Reb and do not care about 'Dixie.' 'Forward Rebels' is a great fight song, and it belongs to us exclusively. We can win and are winning just as easily without either of the above. Just give me 'Forward Rebels,' our classic unis, a great coach like Freeze, and I'm good to go.

Nothing, absolutely nothing negative about the Colonel or From Dixie with love. My troll-dar is going off that you would think it was "Dixie" that they don't play anymore. And for the record, the VAST majority of OM fans wanted to keep the colonel! Again, you've just lost all credibility with me.

Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

I'm not looking for credibility with you. I'm expressing my belief that it was a very bad move long ago when Ole Miss decided to align itself with symbols of the Confederacy. Not many people questioned that during the days of segregation, but once we got rid of Jim Crow Laws in this country, all of that was baggage--'Dixie,' a creaky old plantation master as our mascot and certainly the Confederate flag which had been pre-empted by Aryan, faux-Nazi groups. They were and are not what this country is about, since they reflected a part of our history based on slavery.

Fortunately, the generations to come and growing up now will not view these symbols as somehow sacred. They will enjoy winning under Coach Freeze. No longer will other schools be able to use the 'racist' arguments against us, much the same way they try to tell recruits our facilities are substandard. When recruits get here on campus and see our practice facility, the state-of-the-art stadium and experience the camaraderie of our players, I can assure you that many want to be a part of that. That's 21st Century Ole Miss. If you disagree, that's fine. But the reality is--Confederate symbols of any kind are baggage and deserve to be gone. The entire athletics program as well as the university is benefiting from finally getting rid of this stuff.

There is plenty of good tradition left. Our real fight song--'Forward Rebels,' our classic unis, The Grove and our passionate fan base. If there are disagreements among genuine Rebel fans, that's okay. I'm just saying that these symbols won't be brought back. Just enjoy our winning programs. I can guarantee you that those symbols and our lack of facilities and vision held us back for a long time in becoming an elite program. Or returning to one. What worked from 1947 to 1970 when Vaught coached started backfiring on us after integration occurred. We finally woke up to that in the '90's, and every move we have made since then regarding facilities and symbols has moved us into the modern era of competitive football.
GtownRebel
All American
All American

I agree with what you said mostly. The flag and Col Reb I totally agree. The song I don't because of its origins and if you listen to the words it is not about racism at all. But adding the words "the south will rise again" at the end is not warranted and I don't like that part added. So I understand the reasoning behind why it was stopped.

And hey, the south lost the war many moons ago and it will never be fought again. We are all Americans and fight for our country. The past is gone and we should be concentrating on the future and growing this good state. Not bickering about past transgressions that mean nothing today.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

GtownRebel wrote:I agree with what you said mostly. The flag and Col Reb I totally agree. The song I don't because of its origins and if you listen to the words it is not about racism at all. But adding the words "the south will rise again" at the end is not warranted and I don't like that part added. So I understand the reasoning behind why it was stopped.

And hey, the south lost the war many moons ago and it will never be fought again. We are all Americans and fight for our country. The past is gone and we should be concentrating on the future and growing this good state. Not bickering about past transgressions that mean nothing today.
That's my position, Gtown. We have so much to look forward to now. Not just winning athletic programs, but the university itself is booming, and so is Oxford. I took my savings and built my dream house here in Oxford, which is a great town for a writer. Ole Miss is on the move, and that's what I celebrate every day. As for our sports programs, we are in the news now all the time. Over the summer, we were in Omaha. This fall, we are in the mix for one of the first-ever playoff spots. Being a fan of Ole Miss is becoming one of those cool things across the country. Believe me, it has nothing to do with any of our old symbols. We're doing fantastic without them. (Forgot to add that "Hotty Toddy!" is getting right up there with "Roll Tide!" as a recognizable phrase.)
GtownRebel
All American
All American

And I think our mascot should be the LandShark, not a black bear.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

GtownRebel wrote:And I think our mascot should be the LandShark, not a black bear.
More fitting.
Some Random Dude
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:
GtownRebel wrote:And I think our mascot should be the LandShark, not a black bear.
More fitting.
To tell the truth, I was perfectly happy without a mascot......
Randy