Committee Bowl Possibilities

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Orange would be awesome, but I'm afraid the Arkansas loss will keep us out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I'd be happy with a good matchup versus a higher ranked team anywhere.
Last edited by proud2breb on Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote:First, among the playoff bowls, the Orange by contract gets the highest ranked ACC team not in the 4-team playoff. This year they got lucky and Georgia Tech is having a banner year so they are likely to be chosen.

Second, the committee has to choose the best of the non-power-5 teams to be in one of the 4 committee bowls.
If this is true (and I'm not saying it isn't), how could any SEC team be in the Orange Bowl? It would have to be an ACC team vs a non-power 5 team, right?

GtownRebel
All American
All American

Titles 'R Us wrote:Our resume is strong in that we are the only team in the nation to have beaten two teams that were/are ranked #1 this year. Ten of the teams we played will go to bowls, and three will win league championships: Memphis State, ULL and Boise State are the three league champions. In addition, 'Bama will be the favorite to be the fourth league champion we will have beaten. Meanwhile, Auburn, Arkansas, LSU, A & M, Tennessee, State and 'Bama will all go to bowls as well. Vandy is the lone stay-at home team. (Presbyterian finished with a winning record, BTW.)

I'm expecting the committee to at least rank us in the Top Twelve. We could also sneak back into the Top Ten with Georgia and UCLA losing. We deserve a Committee Bowl, and the Cotton and Peach look the most likely. I'd eagerly go to either one. Both are domed, so the weather won't be a factor. I know my way around Atlanta and Dallas and have been to the Cotton Bowl twice but not in Jerry's World. I'm betting we get a Committee Bowl and am pumped to go watch our healed-up guys play. But that Egg Bowl win was so sweet, and it was fun watching Mullen squirm in his post-game presser, saying he wouldn't be able to sleep for 364 days until he got us back in their place. Ha! Good shot he won't even be there!

Hey, and getting a shot at Baylor would be just fine with me. They've never heard of defense in the Big Twelve Minus Two.
KY isn't qualified for a bowl either.
darylscook
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

rebeljim wrote:Post on scout.

What' I'm hearing about bowls as of tonight

The bowl process is completely different this year than ever before. With the playoff system, the old bowl gossip among bowl selection committees just doesn't exist anymore. However, there is still a bit of politics and some back channel talk about projections. Honestly, that has hindered me this year vs years past, but I still have some friends who know some things.

All that said, Ole Miss fans need to watch the committee standings very closely Tuesday night because Ole Miss is right on the cusp of being one of the teams chosen for the committee bowls (Orange, Peach or Cotton). Ole Miss needs for Ohio State to win the Big10 and knock Wisconsin out of the Top 10, but have the committee pass up Ohio State from the playoff 4. We also need for Baylor to beat Kansas State and Oregon to blow out Arizona. The committee has rated Ole Miss higher than the AP all year, and right now Ole Miss is #13 in the AP. If we are #11 or #12 Tuesday night, there is a real shot at getting a Cotton, Peach or Orange Bowl shot. We have a good resume (beating the #1 and #4 team in the standings as well as beating the top non-Power-5 team) and with some luck might squeeze in.
Thanks for the info!!!
Daryl
-----
Go Rebs!!