Looking good for right now

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Our RI is 33 and our BPI is 30. Jerry Palm has us a 9 seed this morning, and Lunardi also has us a 9 seed. But he hadn't upgraded it to include our game last night. He upgrades his Thursdays and Sundays. BTW, we're 8 1/2 point favorites over ut.
Last edited by rebeljim on Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

We need to close strong and get off the 8-9 seed slot. Winning the three home games left and splitting on the road with 'Bama and LSU should do it. Maybe even give us a shot at finishing second, depending on what Arkansas does. I've had my gripes with AK in the past, but to date, this is a very good coaching job, blending established talent with newcomers. Moody is a phenom.
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

Titles 'R Us wrote:We need to close strong and get off the 8-9 seed slot. Winning the three home games left and splitting on the road with 'Bama and LSU should do it. Maybe even give us a shot at finishing second, depending on what Arkansas does. I've had my gripes with AK in the past, but to date, this is a very good coaching job, blending established talent with newcomers. Moody is a phenom.
Agreed on all points. This season has been a very impressive coaching job by AK and so far it seems like it's his best team. The impressive thing about this team is the fact that we have very legitimate depth. If we can somehow get Summers and White to play more consistent and then have guys like Perez and Rhett give 8-10 points a game off the bench we will be a very tough out in tournament play.
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I have concerns since we struggled against a bad UT team and lost to a mediocre Georgia team... Both at home. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it seems we've sleep walked through our last 2 home games! We're still on track, but we're definitely not playing like a tournament team right now.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Hope I' m wrong, but I see an 0-2 this week. That means next week we need to go 2-0. Summers should be benched in favor of Smith. Between Summers and White, total disappointment.
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Benching the best point guard in the SEC doesn't make sense to me. Summers leads the SEC in assist/to ratio which is exactly what you want from your starting point guard. We would not have had the recent win streak without Summers.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

JustBlues wrote:Benching the best point guard in the SEC doesn't make sense to me. Summers leads the SEC in assist/to ratio which is exactly what you want from your starting point guard. We would not have had the recent win streak without Summers.
All I can say is I totally disagree. No way I consider him the top point guard. He was preseason 1rst string, doubt very seriously he'll be that at end of season. I think Smith is shooting the ball much better than Jarvis. Have no idea what's wrong, but oh the team we would be if we had last year's Jarvis. Maybe he'll end the season with a bang. I'd love it if he did. But I doubt it, hope I'm wrong.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote:
JustBlues wrote:Benching the best point guard in the SEC doesn't make sense to me. Summers leads the SEC in assist/to ratio which is exactly what you want from your starting point guard. We would not have had the recent win streak without Summers.
All I can say is I totally disagree. No way I consider him the top point guard. He was preseason 1rst string, doubt very seriously he'll be that at end of season. I think Smith is shooting the ball much better than Jarvis. Have no idea what's wrong, but oh the team we would be if we had last year's Jarvis. Maybe he'll end the season with a bang. I'd love it if he did. But I doubt it, hope I'm wrong.
He's played solid, but not as good as last year. And definitely not up to this year's expectations.
Some Random Dude
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

It is a nice bonus when your point guard is a great shooter, but his roles in possession and distribution are far more important. Others can take the shooter role, but if your point guard isn't good at possession and distribution, you aren't going to get the ball to your end of the court reliably. If you can't get the ball to your end of the court reliably, it doesn't matter how good your shooters are. Summers has the best assist to turnover ratio in the conference and number two isn't that close. Sitting him because he is in a shooting slump would be like sitting Peyton Manning because he does't run for many touchdowns. We would not have won many of our last ten games without Summers and his very crucial role.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Jarvis isn't very good distributing the ball imo. He would ignore MH time and time again,; and has done it with Moody. Guess we'll just agree to disagree.
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

all I can say is that if we sit summers now, we will not be dancing. Smith is going to be a good point guard, and he is adequate for giving summers occasional rest now, but we don't have anyone else on the team that can do the job summers is doing. We would all love to see him return to form with his shooting, but that doesn't mean throwing away the team's chances because he isn't shooting as well as he once did. With Moody's shooting skills, we do not need summers to be the scorer that he was last year.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

JustBlues wrote:all I can say is that if we sit summers now, we will not be dancing. Smith is going to be a good point guard, and he is adequate for giving summers occasional rest now, but we don't have anyone else on the team that can do the job summers is doing. We would all love to see him return to form with his shooting, but that doesn't mean throwing away the team's chances because he isn't shooting as well as he once did. With Moody's shooting skills, we do not need summers to be the scorer that he was last year.
Smith is 'going' to be a good point guard? You know he is a Senior transfer.
Some Random Dude
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:
JustBlues wrote:all I can say is that if we sit summers now, we will not be dancing. Smith is going to be a good point guard, and he is adequate for giving summers occasional rest now, but we don't have anyone else on the team that can do the job summers is doing. We would all love to see him return to form with his shooting, but that doesn't mean throwing away the team's chances because he isn't shooting as well as he once did. With Moody's shooting skills, we do not need summers to be the scorer that he was last year.
Smith is 'going' to be a good point guard? You know he is a Senior transfer.
no, I did not know. Actually I think that I did at one time but it slipped my mind when I was typing that. My bad. One of my many errors today I'm sure. The point is still valid. Smith is serviceable for giving Summers some rest time, but we would not be nearly as good a team with Summers benched as has been proposed. He has struggled to score, but he provides other things that are too important to the team.