Ole Miss QB competition a tight one

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

There has been no early evidence of behavior problems from Chad Kelly. There has been evidence of a skilled quarterback who could be the Ole Miss starter on Sept. 5 against Tennessee-Martin.

There’s been no evidence, however, that the starter won’t be Ryan Buchanan or DeVante Kincade, the two third-year sophomores with whom Kelly, a troubled junior college transfer, is competing.

The nephew of NFL Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly, Chad Kelly was dismissed from the Clemson football program last April for what Tigers coach Dabo Swinney called unacceptable conduct.

He led East Mississippi to a junior college national championship before signing with Ole Miss. However, a week after signing he was arrested for his role in a fight outside a bar in Buffalo, N.Y., his hometown.

Freeze stopped short of saying there’s a zero tolerance policy regarding Kelly and behavior issues but made it clear there’s little wiggle room if any.

“I’ve been really pleased with everything he’s done to this point. Again, it’s a process. I’m very aware that any of these young men can make a decision that is wrong, and he’s got very little rope to do that with,” Freeze said. “I’m real pleased to this point. He studies film, he’s a competitor, he’s a team guy. That’s been my experience thus far.”

ESPN rated Kelly the No. 4 quarterback, the No. 84 overall prospect after his senior season at St. Joseph’s Collegiate Institute in Buffalo in 2011.

“He’ll take chances. He’ll throw it out there and let you run under it,” wide receiver Laquon Treadwell said.

Kelly’s primary struggle right now is learning the playbook and the terminology of the offense.

Lacking in those areas makes him stop and think a little too much.

“It can got a little fast for him at times, particularly when we’re adding something on the first day of that install,” Freeze said.

Experience

Knowledge of the offense is what Buchanan and Kincade hope to emphasize, as well as their own physical gifts, in their quests to become the starter.

Though playing time was limited for both behind three-year starter Bo Wallace, both have now spent two seasons in Freeze’s system.

“I know the playbook and feel comfortable,” Buchanan said. “The biggest thing is you’ve got to do it live. I can sit in the meetings and know where everything is supposed to be, but you’ve got to make the second decisions when you’re out there.”

Kincade says attention to detail will be important in winning the competition.

“You have to do the little things and be a leader … take control,” he said.

Control in the race is something none of the three have right now, and Freeze doesn’t expect that any of them will soon.

Offensive line injuries have so skewed evaluations that Freeze says it would be unfair to judge the quarterbacks right now.

A scrimmage is set for Saturday, but if it’s like last week’s, a lack of bodies may make it difficult to get much done.

Even so, this is a big week for the quarterbacks.

“We’re charting every single throw, and it’s really close among all three,” Freeze said. “Ryan’s had his great days, Kincade’s done well at times, and so has Chad. We’ll compile it all after this week, and look at it again. It’s really close.”

http://djournal.com/sports/ole-miss-qb- ... tight-one/
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
14zrebs
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

Sounds like Ryan is the leading candidate.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

This u can bet the farm on, Kelly WILL be the starting QB.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
14zrebs
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

rebeljim wrote:This u can bet the farm on, Kelly WILL be the starting QB.
No way I would take that bet, Kelly has a troubling past.
academy reb
Scout Team
Scout Team

I'm with Jim on this one. We have a QB, the relative of an NFL Legend. We've had that once before. Lighting in a bottle. Twice. And his name is not Stout.
I only like helmeted sports, hockey, baseball, football, war.
1OLEMISSREBEL
All American
All American

Read today that starting QB would not be named until fall. Reason given was probs with offensive line:(
Even a bad day as a Rebel is better than a good day with the dawgs!!!!
Goroth

There is no 2nd or 3rd string OL. Plus the 1st string doesn't great all the way around. Hopefully, with some time,they will pull together and play with each other. But no one can get injured.
14zrebs
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

Goroth wrote:There is no 2nd or 3rd string OL. Plus the 1st string doesn't great all the way around. Hopefully, with some time,they will pull together and play with each other. But no one can get injured.
Having devastating losses like Auburn ARK & TCU takes a psychological toll on players. I just hope they haven't lost faith in CHF and themselves.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

14zrebs wrote:
Goroth wrote:There is no 2nd or 3rd string OL. Plus the 1st string doesn't great all the way around. Hopefully, with some time,they will pull together and play with each other. But no one can get injured.
Having devastating losses like Auburn ARK & TCU takes a psychological toll on players. I just hope they haven't lost faith in CHF and themselves.
Please stop.
Some Random Dude
14zrebs
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

lewindha wrote:
14zrebs wrote:
Anyone who has played the game knows what I posted is true.

I will continue to have faith in the OM Players.
ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

14zrebs wrote:
lewindha wrote:
14zrebs wrote:Having devastating losses like Auburn ARK & TCU takes a psychological toll on players. I just hope they haven't lost faith in CHF and themselves.
Anyone who has played the game knows what I posted is true.

I will continue to have faith in the OM Players.
dumbest sh1+ ive read today......my IQ points just dropped to double digits for having read this....

14zrebs
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

After 3 years, why is CHF still unable to field a functional O-Line?
Goroth

14zrebs wrote:After 3 years, why is CHF still unable to field a functional O-Line?
Since when is HF the only coach to field an avg OL? Say it doesn't happen to anyone else in the league. That will be a good conversation.
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

1OLEMISSREBEL wrote:Read today that starting QB would not be named until fall. Reason given was probs with offensive line:(
If I had to guess, I'd say Freeze is leaning towards Kelly but doesn't want to name him the starter before the Fall because he is worried he may do something stupid between now and then and embarrass the program. At least if he gets in trouble and hasn't been named the starter then Freeze can just cut him loose without the same level of embarrassment.
14zrebs
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

rebelbear wrote:
1OLEMISSREBEL wrote:Read today that starting QB would not be named until fall. Reason given was probs with offensive line:(
If I had to guess, I'd say Freeze is leaning towards Kelly but doesn't want to name him the starter before the Fall because he is worried he may do something stupid between now and then and embarrass the program. At least if he gets in trouble and hasn't been named the starter then Freeze can just cut him loose without the same level of embarrassment.

Then why is CHF blaming it on the O-Line?