Ole Miss fans from New Jersey - First Ole Miss Game

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

mfdepor1127
Water Boy
Water Boy

Hello everyone!!

I'm an Ole Miss fan from New Jersey and am making my first trip to Oxford to see the Rebels beat up on Vanderbilt on September 26th!! Very excited!!

My brother and I have decided to start a tradition and attend an Ole Miss game every year. Starting with a home game this year and then followed by 3 consecutive away games the next 3 years. We would like to see different stadium and cities around the country. On the 4th year we will return to Oxford for a home game and then repeat this pattern again. (H-A-A-A-H-A-A-A............)

We have never attended a game and we would like to know if anyone has any suggestions for us prior to the game. We will be flying into Memphis on Friday September 25th and staying in Batesville, MS.

We would like to tailgate at The Grove, but was wondering if there are any tailgates we would be able to attend.

Also, any suggestions on Restaurants for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner as well as the best bars in the area?

Thank you!!
CrossroadsReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

First, welcome!
Second, I wish you could attend another home game other than Vandy. The place just won't be jumping the same way it will be for A&M, LSU, or Arkansas.
Third, you will be welcomed to most any tailgate spread that you approach. Just go up, introduce yourself, and let Southern hospitality take over.
Fourth, as far as breakfast: if you are planning on eating in Batesville before heading to Oxford, you can never go wrong with Cracker Barrel...at the intersection of I-55 and Hwy 6. In Oxford, the best places for breakfast would probably be Big Bad Breakfast or The Beacon...just ask any Rebel for directions.
Last, as far as bars...follow the crowd to the square and take your pick.

How about sharing how you became Ole Miss fans...sure I'm not the only one interested!

Hotty Toddy!!
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!"
mfdepor1127
Water Boy
Water Boy

Thank you CrossroadsReb for the quick reply!!

To answer your question about how we became Ole Miss, I will start by saying...do not judge!!

I grew up a huge soccer fan and started to enjoy football only about 10 years ago. (Did not know what I was missing!!) We are very big NY Giants fans, my brother and I, and have had season tickets for a few years now. In NJ, college football is far from "Big". As you know we only have Rutgers and that is not something to get too excited about. For that reason I was never really into College Football.

I decided a few years back that the only way I was going to get into College football was to pick a team and become a fan. So the process of picking a team started, I had friends try to convince me to become a fan of their favorite teams. (Michigan, Ohio St, Florida, Rutgers...etc) So then on a Thursday Night in 2013 I was laying on the couch and put on ESPN and Ole Miss was playing Vanderbilt (Why I decided to attend vs Vanderbilt). It was a great game and I was very impressed by Laquon Treadwell (It was his first game as a Rebel). I then researched Ole Miss and fell in love with the traditions, The Grove etc. Being a NY Giants fan helped a lot because of Eli Manning. It made the decision that much easier. My brother was in the same boat and followed my lead. Since then we have not missed a game and became big fans.

So that's my/our story! Like I said...don't judge!

Thank you again for the information about the tailgate. I really appreciate your help.

If anyone else would like to chime in, I'm sure everyone has different preferences about what to do on game day.

Are there tailgates that are organized where you pay and then are able to join? (I am asking because here at Giants Stadium that goes on a lot)

Thanks everyone!
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

sounds like the poor fellow is in dire need of some southern hospitality...BAAADD...I doubt that anyone who was charging a tailgate fee would survive ANY tailgate in the SEC... not even LSU fans... it kinda galled me to no end to even say that...if anyone tries to make you pay anything just tell the folks at the other tailgate and I am sure they will be sent packing in short order...I can just about guarantee you that if you come up to almost any tailgate that you will be welcomed with open arms and a flask. It's how we roll... I bet there is one tradition that you might have missed about Ole Miss though...and if you listen closely at the end of the singing of the Star Spangled Banner you will experience another tradition that is sort of kept quiet...I bet you didn't know that "GTH LSU" was the official last four words of the Start Spangled Banner. :)
Later,
Hagar
BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

I think the most enthralling thing that will capture them and never leave their consciousness is the beautiful coeds. They don't play, guys. In the best finery known to man, and displaying it in the truest fashion of an American Girl. They would say, in the words of Captain Quint, (Jaws), "He gonna have a heart attack when he sees what I brung him."
You fellas won't want to leave. Instead, you're going to fall in love.
GtownRebel
All American
All American

mfdepor1127, where in Jersey are you located - what exit?

My wife grew up in Colts Neck, NJ and my sister-in-law still lives there. Just curious.
RichmondVAReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

Parking is always an issue, especially with wholesale construction going on around the campus. I'll first make some suggestions for gameday on the campus, followed by some parking suggestions, but I'm sure others will have better tips than I do since I only make it down for one game a year. Anyway, here is a link to google maps of the Ole Miss campus: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.3552203 ... a=!3m1!1e3

You will be coming into the campus area from Batesville on Hwy. 6. If it were me and this were my first trip, I would try to arrive at the very least 4 or 5 hours before game time because there will be a world of things to see and do inside the Grove where thousands of tents are setup in a seemingly endless stream all over the Grove. If the game is at 11 a.m., I would plan to get there as early as possible so you can walk around and see as much as you can. Try to print a copy of a map of the campus so you can have some idea where you want to walk since the crowds will be huge, especially the closer you get to the team's arrival. The walk thru the Grove by the football team is usually 2 1/2 hours before gametime, so you need to be around the Student Union Building at that time because there will be a huge crowd as the team and coaches arrive on buses and walk thru the Grove, starting at the sign entitled "Walk of Champions". There will be the pep band there and a small pep rally to greet the team, plus literally thousands of fans jam packed everywhere--believe me they will be jampacked into that area. After the team has passed whereever you are liocated along the walkway, then follow the team's movements on down that walkway which is only a short distance until you will see the grandstand area (called "Grove Pavillion") on your right where there will be a huge pep rally with the full band and cheerleaders and another huge crowd. That will last about 30 minutes or so and will occur maybe 30 minutes or so after the team arrival event. Immediately following the pep rally, the full band lines up on the street just beside the grandstand and marches to the stadium. If you go direct to the stadium at that time, then you can just cut through on the walkways between the campus buildings to the stadium once the band has passed and enter the stadium. You will have 1 1/2 hours or so until game time, but there is always something going on on the field, and it is always interesting to watch the stadium fill up (and it will be packed) and the teams practice. In all events though, try to be in the stadium at least 30 minutes before game time since the band takes the field which is always colorful, and that always starts to get the crowd going. Of course, as others have said, the Vandy game won't represent an intense rivalry atmosphere as would some other games, but you will still enjoy the game I believe. I've never stayed over in the Grove after a game, so I have no recommendations for that, but if you park where I suggest below as I usually do, I never have any problems whatsoever in getting onto the highway and head toward Batesville after the game. One last comment about the square in Oxford which is about a mile to the east of the campus, I've never tried to do anything there on gameday due to the crowds.

Since this is your first trip, you may want to consider going to Oxford the day before the game to get a feel for the layout. On that Friday, you should be able to dine at whatever restaurant youb choose (Big Bad Breakfast for breakfast and Ajax for lunch are the places I like). You will also be able to walk around campus to get a feel for where you want to go on gameday, and you'll be able to observe a fair number of people actually sitting in places to protect their favorite tent locations from poachers. No tents are up on that Friday until that evening which is quite a story in itself as people rush to claim spaces for their tents and start erecting them (used to be a starting time of around 9 pm, but you can ask around or check the Ole Miss Sports website because that time may have changed). If you wait til gameday to make your appearance, you will be aghast at the huge throngs of people engulfing the Grove. Usually on big game days, it is literally hard to move the throng is so thick. But you will be accepted by all and will love Ole Miss forever thereafter.

As for parking, you will come into the campus area on Hwy. 6 from Batesville. I always exit onto Old Taylor Road (may be called just "Taylor Road"). As soon as the ramp leading from Hwy. 6 to Taylor Road ends, turn left onto Taylor Road and cross the bridge over Hwy. 6. Just on the other side of the bridge, you will pass first a ramp from Hwy. 6 and then you will come to a road on your right with a sign saying "Old Taylor Road". "Taylor Road" continues straight onto campus, but you won't be able to park if you go that way (although after I park I do walk up that same Taylor Road to get to the Grove), so turn right onto Old Taylor Road and park at your first available parking spot. I then walk back to Taylor Road for the hike up to the Grove which will lead you by the baseball stadium (Ole Miss has the 2nd largest attendance in the nation for college baseball games, and the stadium is beautiful), and off to your left you will see the football stadium. Again though, I always arrive several hours ahead of the game, so if you push it, all parking spots may be gone. When you leave after the game, the ramp onto Hwy. 6 is right at the intersection of Old Taylor Road and Taylor Road. There will be policemen there to direct your access onto Hwy. 6, so I have never had any problems at that intersection.

Although the stadium only holds around 61,000 or so fans, I've seen estimates for the Grove crowd approacing 100,000 since there are a lot of people who come just for the Grove and never attend the game (maybe as we continue to increase stadium capacity, the non-attendee group will become a diminishing number). If it were my first trip, I would walk up to the Grove and then walk the walkways all through the Grove and eventually wind up at the Student Union Building for the team arrival. Inside the Student Union Building you'll find a wonderful air conditioned lobby with tv sets and lots of seats where you can hopefully find a vacant chair or sofa somewhere so you can rest and watch other games, plus various food outlets where you can purchase reasonably priced food. Outside the Student Union, you will be able to just sit and watch the huge throng of people meander all over the walkways in front of you---quite a spectacle. Hope you enjoy your trip.
1OLEMISSREBEL
All American
All American

Excellent advice: just one more reminder to visitors is that you cannot park on campus without a parking pass, that was initiated a few years ago.
Even a bad day as a Rebel is better than a good day with the dawgs!!!!
mfdepor1127
Water Boy
Water Boy

Hello All,

Sorry for the late response. Was on vacation for the past few days.

Thank you everyone for the great advise!!

We will fill a cooler with beer and pick a tailgate to approach and introduce ourselves.

We are planning to head into oxford on Friday to eat and do a little sightseeing on campus. Saturday we will try to eat breakfast at Big Bad.

Parking at the Oxford mall is our best bet?
CrossroadsReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

BE AWARE: Your beer MUST be in a cup. Alcohol is prevalent, but it can't be openly "exposed"...so invest in some red solo cups.
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!"
1OLEMISSREBEL
All American
All American

mfdepor1127 wrote:Hello All,

Sorry for the late response. Was on vacation for the past few days.

Thank you everyone for the great advise!!

We will fill a cooler with beer and pick a tailgate to approach and introduce ourselves.

We are planning to head into oxford on Friday to eat and do a little sightseeing on campus. Saturday we will try to eat breakfast at Big Bad.

Parking at the Oxford mall is our best bet?

I think so...I's sure there is a shuttle from there
Even a bad day as a Rebel is better than a good day with the dawgs!!!!
RichmondVAReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

Just so you know what the Grove is like on gameday, here's a 9 minute You Tube video of the Alabama game last fall. Yes, that was more hectic than usually is the case, but the crowds when you try to walk thru the Grove are just like you see in the video. Also some good shots from the actual game as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVoZH_SrwC4