MSU

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I was just about ready to go all in on this team.. Thought it was probably best since the Head/ Smith team.. My fault.. I listened to the entire game today. We absolutely chocked this game away.. We can fancy it up any way we wish, but we lost the series to the worst team in the SEC and basically let one player, Jake Mangum, beat us. Had the bases loaded 3 times, scored 1 run.. Pathetic.. We did not play like a top 10 team. Truth be told we played like the average Bianco team.. State has owned us last few years. Haven't they won like 9 of last 11 or something stupid like that? Absolutely pathetic and unacceptable. Coach em up Mike!! Everybody at the same time, say it with me, WAOM!
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

We’ve lost one series guys. I’m upset as the rest that State won the series but I’m confident this team will pull it back together. We were 1 swing or pitch away from winning the series and all would be well with most. It’s baseball...you’re going to lose some games, especially in this league.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

WildRebel wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:41 pm We’ve lost one series guys. I’m upset as the rest that State won the series but I’m confident this team will pull it back together. We were 1 swing or pitch away from winning the series and all would be well with most. It’s baseball...you’re going to lose some games, especially in this league.
Get what you are saying, but this was against the worst team in the league, our in state rival who has dominated us over the last 10 games. Where was the killer mentality? Great teams smash bad teams, in any sport. It was more than just a a blip in the radar. A pitch, a hit, ability to execute, those are things that separate average, good, and great. We might get there, but we surely are not there yet. We had 3 hits and a walk one inning and did not score, that is hard to do. Better bounce back Tuesday, or we might be in trouble. This series looked a lot more like last years team than the one we have watched so far. Hope it was just a fluke, but I have my doubts.
ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Bottom Line:
This team thought they could walk into Starkpatch and sweep a really down (worst in the SEC) State team without much effort. I heard it and I read it from several of the everyday starters and one of the coaches...and from a lot of the fan base. This is the SEC and these guys had better realize it takes full effort and focus every single time that you step between the chalk lines. If they learn from it and get *beep* off, then they'll be fine...but if they take it as a fluke, it will happen again and again.
One thing I know for sure, State knows to pepper the strike zone with off speed and breaking pitches against our "philosophy hitting" and we cant hit it well enough to beat you. I've never liked this hitting coach and I never will....he pushes "approach hitting" instead of letting these boys get up there and do what they've been doing for 19+ years...hitting. I'm so sick of listening to this guy create "clone hitters"....these boys can hit, leave them alone and let them.
Don't @ me....I wont debate what I KNOW.... :evil:
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Why we pitched to Magnum in the 9th is beyond me. He'd been on base all day and had killed us all weekend. Yet, we pitched to him. Kinda stupid If u ask me.
Last edited by rebeljim on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

ThunderReb wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:59 am Bottom Line:
This team thought they could walk into Starkpatch and sweep a really down (worst in the SEC) State team without much effort. I heard it and I read it from several of the everyday starters and one of the coaches...and from a lot of the fan base. This is the SEC and these guys had better realize it takes full effort and focus every single time that you step between the chalk lines. If they learn from it and get *beep* off, then they'll be fine...but if they take it as a fluke, it will happen again and again.
One thing I know for sure, State knows to pepper the strike zone with off speed and breaking pitches against our "philosophy hitting" and we cant hit it well enough to beat you. I've never liked this hitting coach and I never will....he pushes "approach hitting" instead of letting these boys get up there and do what they've been doing for 19+ years...hitting. I'm so sick of listening to this guy create "clone hitters"....these boys can hit, leave them alone and let them.
Don't @ me....I wont debate what I KNOW.... :evil:
I agree. I think we took them lightly and expected to sweep or at least win the series with no problem.....this ain’t conference USA. Hope they realize that now.

I also agree on the hitting coach. I’m not his biggest fan but see lots of potential on our team. I’ve said it all year that I hope our bats get better because I saw a lot of reminders of last year at the plate. I believe they have improved but situational hitting killed us this weekend.
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

MageeRebel425 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:07 am
WildRebel wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:41 pm We’ve lost one series guys. I’m upset as the rest that State won the series but I’m confident this team will pull it back together. We were 1 swing or pitch away from winning the series and all would be well with most. It’s baseball...you’re going to lose some games, especially in this league.
Get what you are saying, but this was against the worst team in the league, our in state rival who has dominated us over the last 10 games. Where was the killer mentality? Great teams smash bad teams, in any sport. It was more than just a a blip in the radar. A pitch, a hit, ability to execute, those are things that separate average, good, and great. We might get there, but we surely are not there yet. We had 3 hits and a walk one inning and did not score, that is hard to do. Better bounce back Tuesday, or we might be in trouble. This series looked a lot more like last years team than the one we have watched so far. Hope it was just a fluke, but I have my doubts.
Fluke, bad play, don’t know. The best team just doesn’t always win in baseball. I remember last year when Florida opened League play getting swept by Auburn last year. They also lost a series at home to terrible Tennessee a couple weeks later if I remember correctly. That was last years national champion. Point is, great teams have bad weekends. As long as we learn from it, we’ll be just fine.
ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:49 am Why we pitched to Magnum in the 9th is beyond me. He'd been on base all day and had killed us all weekend. Yet, we pitched to him. Kinda stupid If u ask me.
absolutely!
dude was unconscious this weekend....