new mascot has a name and it is TONY

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

1OLEMISSREBEL
All American
All American

Aug. 10, 2018

OXFORD, Miss. -- With its new on-field mascot set to be introduced at Saturday's annual Meet the Rebels Day, Ole Miss is pleased to announce the name of the Landshark will be Tony in honor of the first Rebel to throw "Fins Up," Tony Fein.

Fans will have their chance to meet Tony, who will wear Fein's jersey number 47, on Saturday. Meet The Rebels Day will begin at 1 p.m. CT at the Manning Center on campus, and admission is free.

New marks, social media accounts and a website related to the Landshark will also be released on Saturday.

Fein, who lettered for the Rebels in 2007 and 2008, will forever be remembered with the likes of Ole Miss Football because of his legacy on and off the football field. Before the Rebel family started throwing up the Landshark at every opportunity, a young man from Washington introduced it to them.

"When Tony was born, we knew he was created with a purpose," said Cindy Daniels, mother of Tony Fein. "My son always had the ability unify people from all backgrounds, and it's exciting for his legacy to be part of something that everyone can enjoy. He was my gentle giant, and it's nice to see this is happening in his honor."

Growing up in the small town of Port Orchard, Washington, football was everything to Fein, who was the ultimate team player. Playing on both sides of the ball, Fein starred at quarterback and linebacker for South Kitsap High School before making the decision to join the Army after his senior year rather than pursue an opportunity to play football in college. Turns out, there were bigger things in life than football for Fein.

Following graduation from high school, Fein served three and a half years in the United States Army, including one tour in Iraq. After his discharge, Fein enrolled in Scottsdale Community College in Arizona and became a top junior college prospect, earning first team All-American honors from the JC Grid-Wire and the NJCAA.

Ole Miss was looking to replace production at linebacker after the graduation of Patrick Willis. Enter Fein, who transferred to Ole Miss in 2007 at age 25, not your usual college newcomer. Fein came in as a true leader on the field, due in part to his service to his country.

Fein earned two letters while playing middle linebacker, seeing action in 24 games, including seven starts. He was credited with 136 total tackles, including eight for a loss, during his two seasons. Fein's 84 tackles in 2007 ranked second on the team and 10th in the Southeastern Conference (7.6 per game), while his 52 tackles in 2008 ranked third on the team.

In the spring of 2008, Fein received the Pat Tillman Patriot Award by the Military Order of the Purple Heart to exhibit to Americans that some athletes can battle on the gridiron or on the battlefield.

Fein's lasting legacy on Rebel Football goes way beyond his statistics. His Landshark rally cry made a home in the Ole Miss defensive unit during the 2008 season and is still alive today. It started in practice that season, when Fein sacked then Rebel quarterback Jevan Snead during a drill and quickly threw up the hand sign.

Spurring his defensive peers to smell blood in the water like a shark, Fein's teammates like standouts Jerrell Powe and Peria Jerry adopted the Landshark persona, and the Rebel defense rose up to become one of the nation's best, ranking fourth in the nation against the run in 2008. After four straight losing seasons, Ole Miss returned to prominence with a 9-4 record, and before long, the whole team and fan base were throwing "Fins Up."

Fein's inspirational story followed him to the NFL's Baltimore Ravens and eventually to his untimely death on Oct. 6, 2009. His life was cut short, but he will forever be known as the original Landshark to the Ole Miss faithful.

Follow Ole Miss Football on Twitter (@OleMissFB), Facebook and Instagram.

copied from the OLE MISS Athletics page
Even a bad day as a Rebel is better than a good day with the dawgs!!!!
1OLEMISSREBEL
All American
All American

Even a bad day as a Rebel is better than a good day with the dawgs!!!!
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I will not be buying any merchandise with this on it. Nothing about this makes me think Ole Miss. I may be the only one on here with this view. And that's ok. Another 20 or so years and we will be the University of Mississippi Landsharks. The will call us sharkies for short. Fans of other schools are laughing at our new mascot. Just doesn't yell out Ole Miss Rebels. But that's just me.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:49 pm I will not be buying any merchandise with this on it. Nothing about this makes me think Ole Miss. I may be the only one on here with this view. And that's ok. Another 20 or so years and we will be the University of Mississippi Landsharks. The will call us sharkies for short. Fans of other schools are laughing at our new mascot. Just doesn't yell out Ole Miss Rebels. But that's just me.
I would like to can this one too but won’t happen. This has been going on for 15 years and I’m tired of it.
Goroth

I might actually want the bear back. Either way this is not ok.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Way better than the bear. Actually means something within the program. Like the logos. My kids like it.
Some Random Dude
ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I could care less about a freaking mascot....but the very people that complained for years about wanting a dang shark are the very ones complaining about what they got, a dang shark....*beep* that crap....those people are complaining just to complain....just support your football team or go to Starkville.
...and do not reply to me about "its about the university not being ole miss anymore....the colonel.....dixie…" blah, blah, freaking blah....that ship has sailed, cry me a river.....be an Ole Miss Rebel or don't...I don't care. Stop complaining and support these 110 guys that wear the red and blue.
OUT.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

ThunderReb wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:58 am I could care less about a freaking mascot....but the very people that complained for years about wanting a dang shark are the very ones complaining about what they got, a dang shark....*beep* that crap....those people are complaining just to complain....just support your football team or go to Starkville.
...and do not reply to me about "its about the university not being ole miss anymore....the colonel.....dixie…" blah, blah, freaking blah....that ship has sailed, cry me a river.....be an Ole Miss Rebel or don't...I don't care. Stop complaining and support these 110 guys that wear the red and blue.
OUT.
First of all, I've never said I wanted the shark, that and the bear are both stupid. I also know we had to get rid of the col and dixie, have to make the liberals happy. I haven't been in any board yelling about us getting rid of them. But I also have the right not to buy anything with the shark on there. I guess I still have that right. I'll be at a game or 2 this year, keeping my streak alive of attending at least one game every year starting in '71. But if I don't like something, as in our dumb mascot, I'm not supporting it, as in spending my money on it, and don't care if u approve or not. That won't stop me from pulling for our teams. Will just keep some money in my pocket, which ain't a bad thing.
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

What’s next? Hiring McElwain?
ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:06 am
ThunderReb wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:58 am I could care less about a freaking mascot....but the very people that complained for years about wanting a dang shark are the very ones complaining about what they got, a dang shark....*beep* that crap....those people are complaining just to complain....just support your football team or go to Starkville.
OUT.
First of all, I've never said I wanted the shark, that and the bear are both stupid. I also know we had to get rid of the col and dixie, have to make the liberals happy. I haven't been in any board yelling about us getting rid of them. But I also have the right not to buy anything with the shark on there. I guess I still have that right. I'll be at a game or 2 this year, keeping my streak alive of attending at least one game every year starting in '71. But if I don't like something, as in our dumb mascot, I'm not supporting it, as in spending my money on it, and don't care if u approve or not. That won't stop me from pulling for our teams. Will just keep some money in my pocket, which ain't a bad thing.
Jim, you can do whatever the heck you want, chief....I could care less. My post wasn't directed at anyone in particular....just the mountains of people complaining like little b1tches all over social media and the sports talk radio shows in Jackson. That is just sad.....if you find yourself in that crowd, then that's on you....but last I checked my post, I didn't call anyone out specifically. YOU chose to respond defensively....speaks volumes.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

ThunderReb wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:19 am
rebeljim wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:06 am
OUT.
Jim, you can do whatever the heck you want, chief....I could care less. My post wasn't directed at anyone in particular....just the mountains of people complaining like little b1tches all over social media and the sports talk radio shows in Jackson. That is just sad.....if you find yourself in that crowd, then that's on you....but last I checked my post, I didn't call anyone out specifically. YOU chose to respond defensively....speaks volumes.
What speaks volumes,? I thought your post was directed at me. It looked like it. If it wasn't, then I was wrong. But u can keep your speaks volumes comment to yourself. I can dislike something without some judgemental trying to put me in some group. That speak's volumes.
Last edited by rebeljim on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

and now I'm reminded why I don't spend nearly as much time on this site as I used to.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

JustBlues wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:04 pm and now I'm reminded why I don't spend nearly as much time on this site as I used to.
I have all but quit posting on here for this very reason. Other than posting about the investigation in the LR, I've basically have stopped.
Goroth

Can't we just talk about some football? I am ready to see what year two brings for Luke and the this Offense. The Defense... well we will see.
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

How all this over the last 15 years makes sense is beyond me. Got rid of the col because he was considered racist but unlv gets a pass on the all but same mascot. Take a vote and bring in a black bear. Not good enough because nobody beat their head on the floor till they got it. Some did beat their head on the floor for the shark so without voting or care what others thought they got a shark. Maybe Nebraska should do as we do and change their name to the Black Shirts. Embarrassing. Oh, and as for the first person to yell race at this keep in mind there is nothing that says white more than an English bulldog.