KD screwed up

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Goroth

Should have called a timeout and drew up a play. Have no idea why you wouldn't have. No idea why some time wasn't put back on the clock at the end either. Probably wouldn't have been enough to matter. But hopefully this game shows them they can play with anyone.
jrhawki
Scout Team
Scout Team

The good out weights the bad at the moment with Davis...Think we could have won the game last nite as well as FL game. Allowed both to get away from us in the last moments. Not sure what was going on with the officials at the end, a walk for sure with time left. Need to move on and get the AR-MO games.
GtownRebel
All American
All American

Interesting. We had our best FT shooter go to the line and Miss a 1 and 1 that would seal the deal. It happens to the best players and it did to us. Must beat Arkansas and Missouri for sure. If we get lucky against KY, which in my opinion is dreaming, we will be in anyway. The officials took this one away from us. The tall white official was inconsistent the whole game and probably lives in Knoxville. SEC will have at least 7 go to the tournament and really did anyone think we would be anywhere near this happening this year - a rebuilding year? Not me.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

GtownRebel wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:35 pm Interesting. We had our best FT shooter go to the line and Miss a 1 and 1 that would seal the deal. It happens to the best players and it did to us. Must beat Arkansas and Missouri for sure. If we get lucky against KY, which in my opinion is dreaming, we will be in anyway. The officials took this one away from us. The tall white official was inconsistent the whole game and probably lives in Knoxville. SEC will have at least 7 go to the tournament and really did anyone think we would be anywhere near this happening this year - a rebuilding year? Not me.
Second straight game he's missed the front end of a one and one late in the game. His miss in the Ga. game set up the final scare, as Ga. missed that last shot. Hopefully he'll grow from this.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
CrossroadsReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

Goroth wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:06 pm Should have called a timeout and drew up a play. Have no idea why you wouldn't have. No idea why some time wasn't put back on the clock at the end either. Probably wouldn't have been enough to matter. But hopefully this game shows them they can play with anyone.
Totally disagree. I've coached high school ball for 30+ years, and a timeout in that situation favors the defensive team. The odds of a defender making a bone-headed play after being made aware of all situations during the timeout would be reduced greatly. Coaches could then "influence" the ball into certain players hands. Foul situations could be discussed. Plus, most coaches have practice time designated for such "live" late-game offensive situations. I even have my players practice shots on the move from beyond half court. You'd be amazed at how good some kids become at such shots.
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!"
Goroth

CrossroadsReb wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:07 pm
Goroth wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:06 pm Should have called a timeout and drew up a play. Have no idea why you wouldn't have. No idea why some time wasn't put back on the clock at the end either. Probably wouldn't have been enough to matter. But hopefully this game shows them they can play with anyone.
Totally disagree. I've coached high school ball for 30+ years, and a timeout in that situation favors the defensive team. The odds of a defender making a bone-headed play after being made aware of all situations during the timeout would be reduced greatly. Coaches could then "influence" the ball into certain players hands. Foul situations could be discussed. Plus, most coaches have practice time designated for such "live" late-game offensive situations. I even have my players practice shots on the move from beyond half court. You'd be amazed at how good some kids become at such shots.
Not saying you're wrong at all. Not calling a timeout works plenty. My opinion is that you have a timeout to use there to set up a play. After the mishap on the free throw and the defense allowing the potential game winning basket. Sometimes you need to regroup and get it together. That is the situation I saw on the floor. Instead of just giving it to the first guy you see and pray he has it together. You come out of a timeout screening for the man you want to get the ball in hopes he is running up the court when he receives the pass. That ensures he can make it within range of a good shot. It also always other plays to help clear a path to the basket for him down the court. The defense can easily get things crossed when a lot of players are in motion and screening. Either way the outcome could still be the same. But now the game is over and we move on.